Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 is a-coming?

Sergei Quaid

Novice
Diablo, all Diablo, like finger in hand.

Дозтом у мой племянник алкоголик.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Shagnak said:
Vault Dweller said:
it was the best game of the sub-genre

Sacred > Diablo 2

Saint agrees so I must be right.

:SGLF:
As a fellow member of the SGLF, and a singleplayer-only player, I have to agree here. First, D2 in single player bored me to tears; Sacred grabbed me for many hours. A few times. After the patches Sacred became quite a balanced and bug-free h&s, in which you can play a Dwarf with a flamethrower strolling through some damn pretty 2d environments. And you can save anytime and in any place you want. What's more to want from a fantasy romp?

Atrokkus

Erudite
look, norfleet, I really don't care how it looks from your point of view (which is, evidently, rather distant from the issue at hand), but it's a hard-cold fact that skellemancers are masters of soloing EVERYTHING this game has to offer (and even uber-tristram though to a lesser extent of course). I don't remember the exact numbers and math (it's been a year and a half), but skeletons are incredibly strong and can take on diablo, baal, duriel and others not breaking a sweat.

Oh and btw, as I've come to realize, D2 singleplayer, even with 8ppl option enabled, is still significantly easier than battle.net ladder diablo2, and im not just talking about Uber diablo and uber tristram (though thta's a big part of the game, and a very challenging one). Besides, there is real hard-coded hardcore mode on the realms. ANd, of course, bnet offers so much more items that make build options so much more varied. So you're missing a lot if you stick to singleplayer only... unless you use one of those ULTRA-difficult mods and play with your friends (through hamachi or LAN) -- now that's very fun, too (and pretty much impossible to beat even with full party, so it feelss exactly like old-school roguelikes, but with graphics).
Also, despite the fact that yes, the majority of bnet denizens are retarded 14 year olds and bored old fat farty nerds, there are still quite a few people willing to teamplay properly and generally make it fun to play -- you can easily spot those when you level up in normal (unless you get rushed, which i almost never do, kills the fun), and then just add them as buddies and play with them later.

Shagnak, Elwro - well, tastes differ. In past, back when i had no stable internet connection, i used to play d2 in singleplayer mode, and that was like 2 years straight, if not more (with breaks of course), and it didnt bore me.

almantas

Novice
Heh, seems we're completely different types of players. I only play single player. I love HC, I love playing untwinked+single pass, and I love challenging builds. What'd I do in Battle.net, where most people couldn't even complete the game by themselves (unless they used a skelemancer :P). I just hate how everyone gets rushed to hell, leeches expierence and then baal runs. Maybe some MFing here and there. I remember getting called idiot practically non-stop because I didn't agree to rush, I didn't twink, and, *gasp*, I used underpowered build.

For those reasons im sticking with Single player with its awesome community and various tournaments. There's a pretty active MP action too, and its all legit (cough cough, zod for pgems cough?).

I imagine Bnet could be just as good if you had a great group of people to play with, but then there's the lag...

Atrokkus

Erudite
I imagine Bnet could be just as good if you had a great group of people to play with, but then there's the lag...
The lag was mostly due to the duppers. Actually last year, in the end of the summer i think, the lags almost ceized to exist, maybe Blizzard enhanced their server functionality, or somehow reduced the number of dupers... Not sure about today's status though.

For those reasons im sticking with Single player with its awesome community and various tournaments. There's a pretty active MP action too, and its all legit (cough cough, zod for pgems cough?).
Well yeah, LAN parties is always cool. But playing standart d2 on LAN seems like a waste for me, I'd rather go for the extra-difficult mods and arrange a party of, say, 7 people who play real well, and try to get as far into it as possible (beating it is outright impossible, i think). FOrgot the name of that mod though...

I had no problems with teammates on bnet because i seemed to find them very easily, and i had several real good buddies who i could share my loot with or leave open mule games without the fear of getting robbed clean. And of course the Codex-gaming buddies heh.

jenna010986

Novice
Well it's 13 days before the beta version, but Im just excited to see the storyline of it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I played Diablo for the story and music. <3

I am excited to see how the series concludes. I hope you get to kill Azrael. He seems to have been the bad guy all along, from what I gather.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Nightjed said:
im pretty sure theyll go for diablo3 after starcraft 2, why abandon a successful franchise (that could become the next wow) for no reason
Who's talking about abandoning?

Look at the job page:
http://www.blizzard.com/us/jobopp/

Different projects are clearly marked: WoW, SC2, "Top Secret", and "Top Secret MMO". Now, the "Top Secret" job descriptions start with:

"Blizzard Entertainment, the developer of Diablo and Diablo II, is looking for..."

Any questions? Not the developer of Diablo, Starctaft, and Warcraft games, but "Diablo and Diablo II". What does that tell you?

Comrade Hamster said:
There isn't "no reason" for leaving the Diablo franchise be. The story is pretty much finished.
The story of coming of age while killing monsters and leveling up is never finished.
"Top Secret MMO?" Hahaha.

If they let Tom Chilton get his filthy hands on it, it'll never see the light of day.

Well, I would simply take that as confirmation that at some point, diablo 3 will arise.

Probably won't start in earnest until after starcraft 2, however. iirc their game cycle is something like warcraft - starcraft - diablo, though im not sure how WoW factors in there.

Keldorn

Scholar
If the 3rd installment of Diablo, Jagged Alliance, Gothic and Fallout can be released (within 12-15 years of their debuts), then Baldur's Gate 3 should damn well be released as well.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Moar D3 rumors are starting to surface...

http://www.diablofans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7784

Another fan-fueled Diablo Rumor Mill has propelled out in full swing after PC Gamer's July 2008 Edition wrapped up with the following text:

"NEXT MONTH
Have you ever had a secret that you're just dying to blurt out, but you can't for another month, and the stress of holding it in makes you want to do the pee-pee dance? That's what the PC Gamer staff is doing right now, because the August issue will be chock-full of exclusives, including a top-secret cover story so huge we had to go to [CENSORED] to get it. Just 30 days more ..."

Here are a few thoughts to ponder on this brainstorming puzzle PC Gamer unleashed:

- PC Gamer was probably among the Gaming press Magazines who visited Blizzard Entertainment early on May, a few weeks ago.

- If you remember, PC Gamer knew about the Starcraft II announcement last May 2007. Blizzard Entertainment made the announcement at the Blizzard Worldwide Invitationals (WWI) at Seoul, South Korea.

- PC Gamer can't talk about it for the next 30 days ... the 2008 Blizzard Worldwide Invitationals at Paris, France takes place on June 28-29.

- June 29 is the date Diablo II shipped on USA (2000) and the same date the expansion Lord of Destruction shipped on Europe a year later (2001).

- Notice how PC Gamer replaces a swearing with [CENSORED]? Could this be a clue as to what the game they refer to? Because CENSORED really sounds like HELL ... as in ... Diablo?

pc-gamer-july-2008-scan.jpg

Texas Red

Whiner
What are those morons gushing about? They have tons of Diablo clones available already.

Castanova

Prophet
I don't understand why everyone is so concerned with whether there will be a Diablo 3 or not. Obviously there will be. I'm more interested to see if they have any new features up their sleeves or will it be another Starcraft II which seems to add nothing new.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Castanova said:
I don't understand why everyone is so concerned with whether there will be a Diablo 3 or not. Obviously there will be. I'm more interested to see if they have any new features up their sleeves or will it be another Starcraft II which seems to add nothing new.

The average Blizz game player is incredibly conservative about his games. Do you remember the first version of WC3 that Blizz showed? The shitstorm that followed made them create an updated, yet inferior WC2-BtDP.

They don't want anything to change.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Diablo is fun for what it is: A fun hack and slay romp with great multiplayer. Diablo 3 would be so much better than any of those other Diablo clones that are coming out repeatedly, because Blizzard actually know how to make such a game fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom