Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 is a-coming?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I hope D3 is a sequel and not a prequel. You just know destroying the worldstone is going to fuck some shit up. Kind of like how your actions in the first Diablo really accomplished nothing but giving Diablo a stronger host body (Stupid warrior should have brushed up on his history. Tal Raha, anyone?). I'd also like to see the fates of the different classes like they did with D2 (Warrior = The Wanderer, Rogue = Blood Raven, Mage = The Summoner).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lestat said:
http://www.diablo3.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6979
In the past days there have been a lot of activity in the network sites after the countdown teaser. A few forum threads keep continuous debate between Diablo fans of what this announcement will be. I have given a few responses of what it is not, to make sure fans won't be thinking the wrong thing. We have made no claims and expect fans to not get caught up with the wave of speculations and rumors in the forums and the web to the point to believe them.

With that said, I will mention some of those I have ruled out since it seems fans haven't thoroughfully read all the forum posts in said thread.

Things the May 1 Announcement are not:
1. It is not an official announcement of Diablo 3
2. It is not about an upcoming Diablo novel
3. It is not a Network merge
Of course it's not an OFFICIAL announcement of D3.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:

http://www.diablo3.com/forums/showthrea ... 979&page=3
Shival said:
This countdown box thread has still been moved to the Diablo 3 subforum, so in my eyes this has got to be something to do with Diablo 3. Either that or the mods are to blame for the rumormill about Diablo 3 not any of the fans.
Medievaldragon said:
... I ruled out May 1 is an announcement of Diablo 3. I didn't say it doesn't have to do with Diablo 3.
smile.gif
Yep, it does have something to do with Diablo 3 after all. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Raapys

Arcane
How much can they actually announce that has to do with Diablo 3 without announcing the actual game at the same time?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Raapys said:
How much can they actually announce that has to do with Diablo 3 without announcing the actual game at the same time?

"Diablo 3... well... some of our art guys decided it would be a nice idea to make Diablo 3 concept art... not that we're going to make that game in the near future, though. Just concept art. That's it. Yeah, concept art. And probably some planned features. This isn't an announcement of the game though. Just some plans... uhm... about what we would do *if* we developed Diablo 3. This has nothing to say, really."

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lestat said:
Vault Dweller said:

http://www.diablo3.com/forums/showthrea ... 979&page=3
Shival said:
This countdown box thread has still been moved to the Diablo 3 subforum, so in my eyes this has got to be something to do with Diablo 3. Either that or the mods are to blame for the rumormill about Diablo 3 not any of the fans.
Medievaldragon said:
... I ruled out May 1 is an announcement of Diablo 3. I didn't say it doesn't have to do with Diablo 3.
smile.gif
Yep, it does have something to do with Diablo 3 after all. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
There are rumors that Blizzard is buying their domain. If it changes hands on May 1, that would be an equivalent of announcing the game officially.

Raapys

Arcane
On the other hand, it can be announced this year, or it can be announced the next. I have no idea. Just hunches. May 1 is a solid clue of things set in motion.
Yep, looks like a domain change, which basically equals an announcement like VD says.

Wionder how much they're paying. Any why bother anyway? There are several other related domains they don't own, like warcraft3.com, diablo2.com, etc.

Oh, looks like this would be why...
Umaro has stated multiple times that if Blizzard wanted this domain he would just give it to them, no cash involved.

DoppelG

Scholar
No domain change they said. I'm more thinking in the way of showing some older D3 stuff, the game has been on and off a time ago (before Flagship Studios).
That way there isn't any "announcement" about D3, but there IS stuff from D3. (follow if you can, if not don't follow)

DoppelG

Scholar
Rather have no news.

Play some Diablo II, and then play some more. Find out what all the fuzz is about on May 1st.

A clue from MedievalDragon.

Dunno, patch wich could tie in with a possible D3 announcement later?

Fairly excited.

Norfleet

Atrokkus said:
Bone necros (and of course i mean those that pump their bone spear and spirit a lot, not just walls/prisons) are *extremely* item-dependent.
I was talking about walls and prisons, yes.

Atrokkus said:
Hoho. Skellies don't just "do damage", they can take on bosses in Hell. + a low-lvl clay golem to slow the bastards down.
You're kidding me. I vividly remember an entire skeleton swarm being fried instantly by one firewave. You're saying this DOESN'T happen now? I find this rather hard to believe. You're telling me a "low level clay golem" is capable of actually surviving anything? Admittedly, clay golems are largely expendable, being that you can just resummon them when they die, but even then, it doesn't help if they can kill them as fast as you can cast them, seeing as they don't really damage anything. It's not like a grizzly, where even if he bites it, if he can get a hit in, he did something.

Atrokkus said:
Well yeah but its 50% fire damage component could help a little if you're having some massive problems with immunes and if it's like, 4-5 ppl game (not always do you have 8ppl games anyways).
If you absolutely MUST play on Bnet (ugh!), just go login a bunch of mules until you hit 8. And yeah, the 50% fire damage component means you CAN damage immunes with it, but the fact that you'd need to blow up a dozen of them to kill anything, when the problem is killing any of them in the FIRST place, sorta renders that a bit of a non-option.

almantas

Novice
Seriously, I find it quite annoying reading these posts by someone who doesn't know a shit about the game and just keeps bitching. Shut up.

Skelemancers are the most overpowered build there is, along with hammerdin. If you suck, thats your problem. You have no idea what you're talking about. And i've been playing that freaking game since it came out. And in single player tournaments, with more restrictions you could possibly imagine.I know what im talking about, and you don't. So shut up with your whining.

So yeah, I played skelemancer once (it was a tournament actually, with some heavy item restrictions but it didn't matter at all). I blitzed through normal and NM on P8 at ridiculous speed, didn't lose my army ONCE. I full cleared hell at P6, think I've lost all my my skellies few times against some fanatism/cursed/extra strong archer pack. Heck, that build was so overpowered that I didn't get usual hardcore thrills.

The main thing about necromancers in general is their curses. Its enough to get one point in most of them and you have the best crowd control spells in the game.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Atrokkus said:
Bone necros (and of course i mean those that pump their bone spear and spirit a lot, not just walls/prisons) are *extremely* item-dependent.

I pump my Bone Spear a lot, but i havent played Diablo 2 in years.

Norfleet

almantas said:
Seriously, I find it quite annoying reading these posts by someone who doesn't know a shit about the game and just keeps bitching. Shut up.
Who's bitching? I'm merely expressing disbelief. I mean, as far as the last time I've played, and I've played since, like you, The Beginning, skelemancers haven't really been that impressive, especially not in boss fights. If you're claiming otherwise, my disbelief stems more from knowing about the game than not knowing about the game. Like I said: Unless something has changed VERY DRAMATICALLY, old experience prejudices me towards being suspicious of the claims that skeletons DON'T all fry instantly in the first first firewave. Certainly is a *SAFE* build, I agree. I just don't remember them ever doing damage.

almantas said:
Skelemancers are the most overpowered build there is, along with hammerdin.
Agree on the Hammerdin. Some things don't change, I guess.

almantas said:
If you suck, thats your problem. You have no idea what you're talking about. And i've been playing that freaking game since it came out. And in single player tournaments, with more restrictions you could possibly imagine.I know what im talking about, and you don't. So shut up with your whining.
Like I said, no whining. Just disbelief. I'm not COMPLAINING about it, I'm just like, "Woah. Seriously? When did that happen?". Because the crowd I hang with remembers the old glories of the necromancer of old, and our inclination is to break out in guffaws whenever we hear "necromancers don't suck now". I'm still inclined to disbelieve that the skeletons can take bosses, though. Diablo's firewave and lightning blast mow down regular characters with max resists just fine, and you're saying that mere skeletons can survive this now? Incredible. Even in the good old days of necromancers being the top dog, skeletons were toast under those conditions.

almantas said:
The main thing about necromancers in general is their curses. Its enough to get one point in most of them and you have the best crowd control spells in the game.
You'll hear no argument from me about the nice curses. I seem to vividly recall the term "curse bitch" being flung around and that this was basically ALL there was to them after the BG+IM and then the CE nerfs. Like I said, if this has changed, I'm more impressed than upset. My experience tells me that shit always runs downhill: Things go from bad to worse, not the other way around. When something is nerfed or sucked to begin with, I have no reason to believe it would ever improve.

DoppelG

Scholar
Skeles can be incredibly strong, if you're able to let your skeles almost one hit punch an enemy at once then they pretty much obliterate anything, apart from Uber Trist (and hell baal can be a bitch to, oh and Diablo clone i think to) wich is impossible unless you use many CB revives (udar).

I played a teleing skelemancer (with a faith crossbow, lol) before and anything dies the second you teleport untop of it. (don't remember having any trouble with hell Diablo)

Atrokkus

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
The best build is Zeal + Holy Freeze paladin. Of course, it turns you into a lawn mower.
Extremely item-dependent, but if outfitted properly it's a pwnage build, indeed. But it'd take you several MFing chars to outfit that guy for hell (will need a great ele dmg weapon on switch (or maybe even primary if it's something like azure or voice of reason or something as good or bettah), unless you play on pussy softcore. Basically what makes zealots dangerous and all-round item-reliant is the zeal lock -- sure it's cool to watch him shred everything to pieces in a heartbeat, but even this little heartbeat of no control over your char can get you dead.

Among paladin builds I still prefer the Avenger, he's just so fun to play and very teamplay-friendly. And he doesn't have any problems with PI, naturally (through CRAZY multi-elemental damage). But, then again, no crowd control whatsoever...

ushdugery

Scholar
Dire Roach said:
But isn't Warhammer Fantasy's setting a successful ripoff of Middle Earth? It would be like a double-ripoff for Blizzard, ripping off from the roots of that which they had already ripped off.

I consider everything to be rippoff of ancient mythology.
See also: genetics, evolution?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Norfleet said:
Atrokkus said:
Hoho. Skellies don't just "do damage", they can take on bosses in Hell. + a low-lvl clay golem to slow the bastards down.
You're kidding me. I vividly remember an entire skeleton swarm being fried instantly by one firewave. You're saying this DOESN'T happen now? I find this rather hard to believe. You're telling me a "low level clay golem" is capable of actually surviving anything? Admittedly, clay golems are largely expendable, being that you can just resummon them when they die, but even then, it doesn't help if they can kill them as fast as you can cast them, seeing as they don't really damage anything. It's not like a grizzly, where even if he bites it, if he can get a hit in, he did something.

Summons get a shitton of bonus health in nightmare and hell now. 1 point in clay golem and 1 point in golem mastery with around +9 to skills will give you a 6k health golem. Skeletons get around 2k health, if I recall correctly (it's been a while since I cared to do research on it).

But really, skelemancers pale in comparison to blessed hammer spam.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Norfleet said:
Who's bitching? I'm merely expressing disbelief. I mean, as far as the last time I've played, and I've played since, like you, The Beginning, skelemancers haven't really been that impressive, especially not in boss fights. If you're claiming otherwise, my disbelief stems more from knowing about the game than not knowing about the game. Like I said: Unless something has changed VERY DRAMATICALLY, old experience prejudices me towards being suspicious of the claims that skeletons DON'T all fry instantly in the first first firewave. Certainly is a *SAFE* build, I agree. I just don't remember them ever doing damage.
Ffs kid, go play some diablo2. I quit D2 only just recently, last year, so I know what I'm talking about. In fact, my last char was a skelliemancer (on hardcore europe ladder). If you "find that hard to believe" just say so, and acknowledge the fact, or see for yourself.

You'll hear no argument from me about the nice curses. I seem to vividly recall the term "curse bitch" being flung around and that this was basically ALL there was to them after the BG+IM and then the CE nerfs. Like I said, if this has changed, I'm more impressed than upset. My experience tells me that shit always runs downhill: Things go from bad to worse, not the other way around. When something is nerfed or sucked to begin with, I have no reason to believe it would ever improve.
You're living in fuckin past man.
Noone, and I mean NOONE uses IM anymore, because IM+BG bug was long fixed.
Things have gone to the better, way to the better. Basically for crowd control you have to use a lot of curses now, especially if you're not exactly in your 80s or 90s yet. Things like "terror" to disperse the real huge crowds your skellies are not exactly coping with fine, or attract to do the same thing. Things like "life tap" are still kinda useless, unless you're in party and you're aiding your mates. Lower resist is also great stuff for party. And, of course, the most often used ones are amp (for everything) and decrep (bosses only).

And yes, a low-level clay golem (1 pt without skillers and you'll most likely have around +5 or more by the time you reach hell or late NM) can aid you very well in boss fights because it just takes one hit to slow down the boss, and then if the gumby gets killed you just recast instantly (thx to low mana cost at low lvls), but gumbies are rarely killed because skellies act as meatshield (or revives if your skellies are still weak), plus as was already noted, even with little +skillz you get some nice health on your clay golem, so the random diablo's fire novas won't kill it in one blow, at least not in NM. Also, Iron golem is rather potent but only if you're very rich and have some godly item to spare.. woulnd't count on it though, but that way your golem will be able to actually kill stuff and use all of the item's mods.

As I said, if you haven't played 1.10 you haven't played anything (btw, 1.11 doesnt add anything, excetp for uber-tristram for bnet and new runewords and shiz). 1.10 introduced SYNERGIES. that's the best thing ever, really. That's what made skelliemancer potent -- his once weak spells like summon skellie now receive bonuses from other skills you pump, and that works in a very neat little system of total pwnage.

And, what other people said.

___

speaking of d3, I'd more rather have BLizzteam return to D2 and start enhancing it again, moderating the battle.net, fighting abusers, improving connection quality, and so forth. That would be so much better, at least in the meantime. D2 is still alive, but not kicking. Yet, if it gets proper management and improvement now, it will start kickin ass again, I'm telling you. But then again, Diablo3 would be great also, but only if they stick to the original D2 multiplayer formula and don't go MMO. After all, they don't really want another MMORPG to interfere and drain resources from the blooming WoW (remember that "wrath of the lich king" is coming soon, so they're hands are full).

Norfleet

Atrokkus said:
Ffs kid, go play some diablo2. I quit D2 only just recently, last year, so I know what I'm talking about.
Pssh. Who you calling kid? And yeah, the only reason I noticed this thread is because I recently got back into it. I want to believe you. But it just seems too incredible to be true. What you're telling me flies in the face of 30 years of gaming wisdom. Everyone knows things don't get better. That's just not supposed to happen. I will try this, but I remain rather skeptical.

Atrokkus said:
You're living in fuckin past man.
Noone, and I mean NOONE uses IM anymore, because IM+BG bug was long fixed.
I am aware of this. Living in the past is what old men do best, though. We can still mourn its loss, can't we?

Atrokkus said:
Things have gone to the better, way to the better.
I find this difficult to believe, but I'll try to pretend that everyone hasn't lost their mind or something.

Atrokkus said:
As I said, if you haven't played 1.10 you haven't played anything (btw, 1.11 doesnt add anything, excetp for uber-tristram for bnet and new runewords and shiz). 1.10 introduced SYNERGIES. that's the best thing ever, really. That's what made skelliemancer potent -- his once weak spells like summon skellie now receive bonuses from other skills you pump, and that works in a very neat little system of total pwnage.
They do? Because I'm looking at the skilltab right now, and I'm not seeing any synergies that didn't exist before. Skellingtons are listed as receiving benefits from Skellington Mastery and Summon Resist, which appears to just be a rehash of what has always hapened. Is this a hidden benefit? Because it seems to me that Skelemancers are the build which benefits LEAST from synergies as a result.

Atrokkus said:
speaking of d3, I'd more rather have BLizzteam return to D2 and start enhancing it again, moderating the battle.net, fighting abusers, improving connection quality, and so forth.
Ugh, Bnet. I avoid that place like the plague. They have a consistently lousy track record of misplacing peoples' files and generally being host to a bunch of obnoxious children. Did I mention I hate kids? As for improving connection quality, I have never entirely figured out how on Earth Blizzard managed to write network code which was such utter crap. I mean, it runs on TCP! How the hell can you even *HAVE* packetloss artifacts in TCP? I could believe some of the shit I see happening if D2 had been coded over UDP, but it runs on straight TCP! How the hell can this even HAPPEN? TCP does not permit packetloss or out-of-order transmission. Either things arrive in order and unmangled, or you lose your connection. It's not like UDP where things arrive out of order or not at all. So how the hell is it that the game can simply fail to acknowledge commands? That's not supposed to be POSSIBLE in TCP. Clearly Blizzard's network programmers have to be utterly incompetent if they can manage to foul up something which is assured by the underlying nature of TCP.

Xor said:
Summons get a shitton of bonus health in nightmare and hell now. 1 point in clay golem and 1 point in golem mastery with around +9 to skills will give you a 6k health golem. Skeletons get around 2k health, if I recall correctly (it's been a while since I cared to do research on it).
Well, it sounds impressive on paper, until you realize that monsters have about 80000 hitpoints. What about their damage? Because the listed damage of 37-39 damage (before any other modifiers) strikes me as being the same underwhelming stats I saw before.

Xor said:
But really, skelemancers pale in comparison to blessed hammer spam.
I remain satisfied with the level of damage inflicted there, even if it's kind of a pain in the ass to aim at anything given its relatively undirected spiral circling, but the ability to inflict insane unresistable damage to anything that isn't Wailing Beast is hard to deny. On the other hand, stuff like that always winds up being first on the nerf list of the next patch. Wouldn't do for people to have anything better than a cracked shortsword, after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom