Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Reaper of Idiots

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm gonna wait till the no-lifes give out the ultimate verdict in a couple of weeks. We'll see whether the game is still "amazing", after they've spent 500 hours at the level cap and take 20 hours to find an upgrade.
I'd argue that any game you can play for 500 hours before getting bored is probably worth $40.

7/10

Learned
I'd argue that any game you can play for 500 hours before getting bored is probably worth $40.

In principle, yes. But just because some guy spent 500 hours on a game, doesn't mean most players will. People who play D3 for 8 hours a day over long periods of time, are the same kind of spergs, who spend time trying to gather all the optional collectible crap in Assassin's Creed or who go for extremely grindy achievements, like the pirate hat in WoW. Something no sane person will ever do. Such people aren't therefore a credible source to judge the game's entertainment value on, but will say something about its longevity.

Drew

Savant

In principle, yes. But just because some guy spent 500 hours on a game, doesn't mean most players will. People who play D3 for 8 hours a day over long periods of time, are the same kind of spergs, who spend time trying to gather all the optional collectible crap in Assassin's Creed or who go for extremely grindy achievements, like the pirate hat in WoW. Something no sane person will ever do. Such people aren't therefore a credible source to judge the game's entertainment value on, but will say something about its longevity.

After about 1k elite kills between actV and adventure mode, I'd say it was worth $40.

7/10

Learned
After about 1k elite kills between actV and adventure mode, I'd say it was worth $40.

Is the new endgame actually better compared to vanilla, or is it just a more streamlined way to grind, without having the story get in the way?

Drew

Savant
Basically a more streamlined way to grind.
But, it is also more enjoyable, since you're jumping all over the place trying to complete different events and kill different bosses than you normally would've been.

Nephalem rifts are interesting, too, since they can jump the backgrounds by whole acts. You could be fighting in the Halls of Agony, get to the staircase, go through, and be in Westmarch. It certainly helps alleviate the boredom that occurs when you grind the same single quest over and over.
Maybe I'm not the best judge, since I farmed CoTA for 40 paragon levels, but it's enjoyable, and since all of the Adventure Mode is one public queue, there are always games, instead of hoping there are other people looking for the same quest you're on.

Drew

Savant
This character is 3 days old and has only about 30 hours logged.
Loot gods are nice to me.

4c6b0742d3eaf41a504b7b4222bfb7a5.png

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
This expansion really shows how much the team behind D3 has changed. Act 5 is far better looking and designed than all previous ones.

All the nice little side events, the atmosphere/color pallete, the new enemies, everything is much improved.

Even the story is MUCH less cringeworthy - no more villains randomly popping up constantly tosay "YOU HAVE FOILED MY PLANS BUT SUCK IT I HAVE A BACKUP - HERE, LEMEE TELL YOU EXACTLY WHAT IT IS". Hell, I'd even say the story is actually pretty good right now, but I'm the kind of person who really enjoyed Baldur's Gate 2 story.

To boot, adventure mode is great fun. Honestly, the only problem I have with the game right now is how much it's sucking away my productivity in real life - but I'm doing 13-20 million crits with my demon hunter who has yet to even find a legendary weapon, so suck it bitches.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
My biggest complaint now, beside Crusader sucking, is that certain gems are simply too strong. Green gem in weapon, purple gem in helm. Just too powerful for any alternative to be considered.

Israfael

Arcane
My biggest complaint now, beside Crusader sucking, is that certain gems are simply too strong. Green gem in weapon, purple gem in helm. Just too powerful for any alternative to be considered.
It's a by-product of essentially 1-stat system (everything depends on DPS, even hp and survivability), cant be fixed in any way. At least diamond provides some sort of legit choice for helmet/armor socketing for some classes/specs (not me though, i spam forb all the day :) ).

All the nice little side events, the atmosphere/color pallete, the new enemies, everything is much improved.
Most of them existed before, its just game (via Bounties / Rifts / legendary mats) forces us to actively seek and see them now.

My personal complaint is that gold sink are really overtuned now - one perfect gem requires to spend around 10 mill gold on it, which is fairly big, considering that gold drops have been nerfed considerably (and no AH)

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
It's a by-product of essentially 1-stat system (everything depends on DPS, even hp and survivability), cant be fixed in any way. At least diamond provides some sort of legit choice for helmet/armor socketing for some classes/specs (not me though, i spam forb all the day :) ).

Most of them existed before, its just game (via Bounties / Rifts / legendary mats) forces us to actively seek and see them now.

My personal complaint is that gold sink are really overtuned now - one perfect gem requires to spend around 10 mill gold on it, which is fairly big, considering that gold drops have been nerfed considerably (and no AH)

I know they existed before, but the ones on act 5 are better realised and there's just so many more of them. I'm talking about the campaign, not the adventure mode stuff.

As for the gold (and crafting materials) sink, it makes you actually have to consider what to do with your resources, as opposed to mindlessly spending them. I prefer it this way, personally. prefer

Which is not to say the game is now devoid of flaws - I can only imagine how much more awesome it would be if it had different art design: drawn out, mature graphics; less shiny stuff; actually "scary" monsters; a better story. On that last part, hell, even some random dude in the official forum posted an alternate of the main campaign storyline that was SO MUCH better than what we got, with things like you finding out that belial had made it seem like he was impersonating emperor hakkan so you would accidentaly kill the emperor, and then him showing up at the end (or start) of the battle with azmodan just to slaughter him with some trickery, eliminating the competition for ruling hell - now that would be a real lord of lies)

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
By the way, what do you mean about 1 stat system? Don't all battle systems evetually revolve around how much damage you put out and how much you can take in (factoring in things like cc as additional survivability)?

Castanova

Prophet
He just means that each class has a primary attribute and 90% of the time getting more of that primary attribute is better than getting other stuff.

Israfael

Arcane
He just means that each class has a primary attribute and 90% of the time getting more of that primary attribute is better than getting other stuff.
Well, this is true as well, what i meant is that weapon damage is the 'base' of everything, which was not true in d2. Weapon damage determined very few and select skills and only some builds revolved about it, Zerk / WW barbs (though WW was more about getting full IK set to get all damage bonuses on the maul in my opinion), while majority of them weren't. In the current system, health points (both yours and mob's) are a reverse function of your (or mob's) dps, since there's no resists, immunities or chance to miss. This greatly simplifies whole system, makes it incredibly boring, 1-dimensional and prone to overbloating (seriously, last boss had close to 500 M hp when i killed him for the first time). When i started d3 for the first time, i didn't even get why my spell damage (i main wiz) was dependent on physical dps of weapon.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It's true the weapon damage shit is retarded, especially for the wizard. So fucking retarded. It's almost as if Jay Wilson-

... oh

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Well, this is true as well, what i meant is that weapon damage is the 'base' of everything, which was not true in d2. Weapon damage determined very few and select skills and only some builds revolved about it, Zerk / WW barbs (though WW was more about getting full IK set to get all damage bonuses on the maul in my opinion), while majority of them weren't. In the current system, health points (both yours and mob's) are a reverse function of your (or mob's) dps, since there's no resists, immunities or chance to miss. This greatly simplifies whole system, makes it incredibly boring, 1-dimensional and prone to overbloating (seriously, last boss had close to 500 M hp when i killed him for the first time). When i started d3 for the first time, i didn't even get why my spell damage (i main wiz) was dependent on physical dps of weapon.

Wouldn't know enough about combat systems to give a serious reply, but I do get that D3 is simplistic, though.

Hey, how come we don't have a clan? I'll start one named Warriors of Codexia, whoever wants to play just look that up on the clan section! Or better yet, just post your battle tags and I'll add you.

Guys do I have to buy the addon to take advantage of the new loot system and other gameplay tweeks?

I'm not that hot about a new class and new Act, I played only the Doctor 2 years ago so four more unexplored chars to go anyway. And I don't wanna spend my time and bandwith only to find out I have to shell out additional 40 euro to experience something new.

Also, how is the Doctor now? Right after the launch it was the weakest class by far.

Bear in mind that if you do eventually decide to get the expansion (and if you like the game you will) pretty much all of your lvl 60 loot will be worthless. The doctor is in a much better spot, but I feel he's the most unique legendary dependent class in the game right now. Still, he's pretty fun with some builds and who can resist being able summon a giant crocodile in the middle of a battle?

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Motherfucks, I'm looking forward all week to save the ol' Sunday afternoon for some fun with D3 after two years of no see and sure enough - We apologize, dear gamers, for the catastrophic latency issues. We're sure we'll get to the bottom of this - by Monday morning.

Yeah, you got two years to get rid of your dumbfucked perma-online system. So thanks and good bye.

Motherfucks, I'm looking forward all week to save the ol' Sunday afternoon for some fun with D3 after two years of no see and sure enough - We apologize, dear gamers, for the catastrophic latency issues. We're sure we'll get to the bottom of this - by Monday morning.

Yeah, you got two years to get rid of your dumbfucked perma-online system. So thanks and good bye.

Did you give them your money for the expansion too?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Did you give them your money for the expansion too?

Nope, I don't really need another char and another slice of their derpy story fo 40 euro, just wanted to have some fun blasting zombies and level up my monk a bit in the process.

Incidentally, I found a legendary (ring) within the first hour, whereas two years ago it took me 120 hours to find two in total. So kudos for loot 2.0.

Yeah, I mean they don't care (that you stopped playing), as long as they get their 40 euro for the xpack. It is extremely irritating when you can't play when you wish, or die because of latency issues. I wonder why do they persist in their stupidity, if the already made console versions always online free...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I didn't have any problems playing earlier this week. Whatever the problem is it probably isn't related to the RoS launch.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Like the fuckers never heard of offline mode. Even fucking uPlay got it.
But no, fuck you for wanting to play when you want to.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
3 characters at 70 HC now. r00fles I guess the game is pretty fun now.
They need a post-expansion patch tho. Balancing both classes and items.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom