Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Diablo III Accounts Hacked

Angthoron

Arcane
I haven't dug deeper into it no, as I don't care about D3 one way or the other, although reading about its failures is an amusing past-time. However I'm not sure I'd take the word of PR-tinged, tech-challenged executives either.
That's also true, but mind that if they give straight-up info that turns out to be lies, there's a moderate chance of everyone involved in making the statement being held responsible for it. So I'm sort of in between opinions on this one, I'm pretty sure they've fucked up the security somehow, but not necessarily in the way it's been implied.

What also amuses me (and has amused me for ages now) is how vulnerable their system really is, and how much more vulnerable they seem to make it. Real ID? Paradise for hackers since they get your log-in and then it's just a matter of scamming you/using a number generator. Their verification systems have also been pretty miserable since hackers were able to successfully gain access to numbers in some way or another a few months ago.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
This certainly looks like an interesting thread... especially along page 5+...
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271500000

http://www.game-boyz.com/content/node/18678
Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Non-case sensitive passwords? No lock-out after repeated failed attempts? And apparently not even any IP checking for login?

Holy Fuckballs that is bad. The no lockout alone is pretty fucking serious. Imagine if you had someone's iPhone and could just plug away all day until you got through the code - instead of being locked out progressively longer each time. We're talking about a game played mostly by 12 year olds whose password will be basic at best - and you're saying we can just dictionary attack them?

I wonder if their servers were actually down on launch day because someone was running a brute force on them...

Hell, even XenForo has case-sensitivity and account lock-outs after repeated failed login attempts.

EDIT: Yup, the admin panel locks me out after about 3 failed password attempts. Though the regular login just adds the verification question (which theoretically there should be more of).

So there you go, this forum software is more secure than Diablo 3.

Angthoron

Arcane
This certainly looks like an interesting thread... especially along page 5+...
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271500000

http://www.game-boyz.com/content/node/18678
Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Non-case sensitive passwords? No lock-out after repeated failed attempts? And apparently not even any IP checking for login?

Holy Fuckballs that is bad. The no lockout alone is pretty fucking serious. Imagine if you had someone's iPhone and could just plug away all day until you got through the code - instead of being locked out progressively longer each time. We're talking about a game played mostly by 12 year olds whose password will be basic at best - and you're saying we can just dictionary attack them?

I wonder if their servers were actually down on launch day because someone was running a brute force on them...

Hell, even XenForo has case-sensitivity and account lock-outs after repeated failed login attempts.

EDIT: Yup, the admin panel locks me out after about 3 failed password attempts. Though the regular login just adds the verification question (which theoretically there should be more of).

So there you go, this forum software is more secure than Diablo 3.
Yeah, that's BNet 2.0, the passwords for D3, SC2 and WoW are not case-sensitive, with no attempt limits or IP checks.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
HAHAH. Oh wow. I see that Blizzard even limit password length to only 16 characters.

What.

The.

Fuck.

Who limits the password field? Seriously, the best passwords are like a random combination of normal words. eventhisasapasswordwouldbeprettystrong Add in capitalisation and it'd be next to impossible under normal circumstances.

It's like they're deliberately being retarded.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh no, this isn't a problem at all as long as you buy the authenticator! That'll protect you from all forms of brute-force hacking forever, and if you do get hacked it's your own fault for getting phished.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I like the game for what it is but ahahahaha at the forum posts defending the security holes.

tiagocc0

Arcane
HAHAH. Oh wow. I see that Blizzard even limit password length to only 16 characters.

What.

The.

Fuck.

Who limits the password field? Seriously, the best passwords are like a random combination of normal words. eventhisasapasswordwouldbeprettystrong Add in capitalisation and it'd be next to impossible under normal circumstances.

They made a password system for the masses.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Tip: Never hire interns to save money , even more so on security
save money
kotick.jpg
Kotick.jpg

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If you are to believe the first several pages of this thread:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5270830019?page=1 (which is fairly hilarious, btw)

this sounds like a pretty serious problem. Rampant, I would say, even. This really is a fascinating problem when you do mix in the prospect of RL money potentially being at risk eventually. I agree that that idea is probably going to get axed. Could you imagine the number of potential lawsuits, a class-action, and more?

I don't know if Blizzard had the same severity of problems with WoW and its hacked account history, but I'd imagine this is just too much trouble even for them. They should have just stuck with the original Diablo formula.

tiagocc0

Arcane
According to the thread they were hacked after using AH (which I don't know what it is), then after logging out and logging back the next morning they had a 'new friend' shown up on their list and it's always a lvl 1 char and every item and gold gone.

So probably the hackers are selling items trough this AH, they somehow can hack those who have bought from them (or worse hack anyone who used AH) so they later enter their accounts, add their lvl 1 char as a 'friend' and give everything to this char and log out.
Then they just need to log with their lvl 1 char and sell everything, get all the gold and sell for jewgolds here in the 'outside world'.

Stabwound

Arcane
It makes me cry inside to think about how fucking awesome a Diablo 1 style game could be like with modern technology. And no, Torchlight doesn't count, it's cartoony and shit.

While I like both D1 and D3, they're completely different games with only a few similarities.

Repressed Homosexual

What.

The.

Fuck.

16 characters is plenty enough to create an uncrackable password. Mine is of that lenght, and they allow special characters so this adds to the complexity. EA has the same character lenght limit for passwords, however they do not allow special characters.

If a firm character limit has already been set in place in a database, it's most of the times painful to change it. It's why among others password limits for online banking services are so short and restraining.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
So, this piece of crap is actually out. You have to log in to play this, and this is to prevent piracy.

:lol:

Guess the 'pirates' showed them didn't they, they will now make their money another way by stealing characters' in game jew gold.

tiagocc0

Arcane
So, this piece of crap is actually out. You have to log in to play this, and this is to prevent piracy.

:lol:

Guess the 'pirates' showed them didn't they, they will now make their money another way by stealing characters' in game jew gold.

It's a never ending cycle of pure beauty.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Blizzard makes DRM game to prevent theft of game.

Pirates then steal accounts instead of game code to make profits off of not caring about DRM.

Sheeple gamers get fucked in the end.

I continue to play Planescape: Torment.

Life is good.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Nah. It's actually sad because the game is fun to play. If it ran liquid-smooth like it should (which it doesn't right now, not even on my rig) and if one didn't have to worry about getting OMGHaXxOrEd I think the RLAH could've been a hit. I mean if you really want to spend some actual money on an elite-level weapon or something in this game what's fundamentally wrong with that?

The problem though is that Blizzard is just gorging on its own greed right now. They're seeing these microtransactions as another huge, bloated cash cow and they're very eager to cash in. Even if that means sacrificing the game that really put them on the map and making it into some sort of weird psuedo-MMO.

Now the Chinese gold farmers are just raping that cow for all it's worth while the idiotic (albeit innocent) teenagers out there are screaming bloody murder.

What a mess.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Nah. It's actually sad because the game is fun to play. If it ran liquid-smooth like it should (which it doesn't right now, not even on my rig) and if one didn't have to worry about getting OMGHaXxOrEd I think the RLAH could've been a hit. I mean if you really want to spend some actual money on an elite-level weapon or something in this game what's fundamentally wrong with that?

The problem though is that Blizzard is just gorging on its own greed right now. They're seeing these microtransactions as another huge, bloated cash cow and they're very eager to cash in. Even if that means sacrificing the game that really put them on the map and making it into some sort of weird psuedo-MMO.

Now the Chinese gold farmers are just raping that cow for all it's worth while the idiotic (albeit innocent) teenagers out there are screaming bloody murder.

What a mess.

cow.jpg

Remember people: every time you support Bobby by buying his shitty games, you are supporting the Chinese gold farmers in their never ending quest in raping all cows.

Supporting Blizzards means you support cow rape. Don't support cow rape.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom