Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Diablo III Accounts Hacked

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
[
And let's face it, if all these people have keyloggers on their computers, then how come hackers are stealing their Diablo 3 Gold and not their real cash, in their real bank account? ... or their WoW character? ... or their SC2 details? This is a VERY specific and targeted hack.

Another interesting thing is that it seems only accounts with high level gear are being targeted (40+). From what I can tell, low level accounts with shitty gear aren't even being touched. So, how are they being found? How do the hackers know they have stuff worth stealing? Is it a weakness in the auction house - that these players have tried to sell something, which has therefore made them a target? Have these players downloaded some sort of map-hack tool or tried to purchase equipment from somewhere? But again, that assumes they're all idiots and I just don't believe that.

- Those are some good points. Why haven't we heard more (or any) reports about their WoW accounts/bank accounts being hacked? Why is it that only high levels are being targeted? I don't think that NONE of the cases are dumbasses or keyloggers, but the wave of people being hacked is a bit too large to assume that they are all dumbasses (well, it's possible but...). There's also this article I found:

http://www.examiner.com/article/accounts-on-diablo-3-hacked

This reporter, after having her own account with authenticator hacked, firmly believes this is a serious security breach on Blizzard’s side, though they either do not want to admit it, or are still unaware of the problem. Many who have had their account on Diablo 3 hacked were logged in at the time of the hack and support staff tells them there was no evidence of their account being hacked. That indicates there is an exploit in the system being taken advantage of.

- Question the validity of the claim, but it also seems that the authenticator is doing jack shit.

EDIT: I just thought of something else... for all of these people getting hacked, haven't almost ALL of the cases been:

1- Their high level character get's hit.

2- It's the character they last logged on with.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah, one or two claims of authenticator you could dismiss but this is too many. Too many people who can type legitimately. Too many people who can put together coherent sentences. Too many people who claim they run anti-virus and what-not for this to be "whoops, they clicked on a bad link" problem.

I give it a week before Blizzard come out with the "we have been compromised" post. The funny thing is, surely they can track all these character transactions through the game and find out which players are suddenly ending up with millions of gold transferred to them?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
So how much gold have you accumulated so far, DU? We know it's you.
5.jpg

Grimlorn

Arcane
This is good news. Only the hackers can save PC gaming. I hope this continues when the RMAH goes online. Has it gone online yet?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I like how Blizzard are slow to respond to questions about account security but have no problem instabanning people from their forums for mild cursing.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I like how Blizzard are slow to respond to questions about account security but have no problem instabanning people from their forums for mild cursing.
Blizzard are fucking morons but it even a Blizzard employee could tell you that the OFFICIAL ANSWERS have to be preapproved by their comms/PR/legal dept whereas forum enforcement is something minor and within the power of people who're chilling on the forums for that sole purpose.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

If you were paid $60,000+ a year just to goof off on forums, make silly posts, and write two-page 'fan feedback' reports to the developers you would be fanatically loyal to the hand that fed you, too!

DragoFireheart

This is good news. Only the hackers can save PC gaming. I hope this continues when the RMAH goes online. Has it gone online yet?

Rumor has it that hackers are trying to hurt the PR of Blizzard and/or are hacking and working on finding exploits to:

A- Take advantage of the RMAH.

B- Prevent it from actually happening.

Bulba

Learned

Rumor has it that hackers are trying to hurt the PR of Blizzard and/or are hacking and working on finding exploits to:

There is just no way those hackers are knights in shining armor on white horses

DragoFireheart

-No. It's the fact that they fear the RMAH will interfere with their profit margin.

Bulba

Learned
I think the main reason why da2 sucks is that the dev are gay... and want to make games about gay elvish sex - can't blame them if thats what their dreams are about. Unfortunately for bio non gay community kinda wants different games. Funny thing is that they have not learned their lesson and thought that they've put in too little gay sex and are going to fix that in DA3. With their reputation gone, and most DA2 sales went purely on that, I wonder how many their new game will sell.
All is not lost through - have faith in free market and with time our dreams will come true... my only fear is that it might not happen during my lifespan.:(
It's not for gays. It's for women, which are a significant part of the Bioware audience.
You ment to say the only part now... the thing is girls in their masses don't like rpgs and staff, they like sims a lot. There is no middleground

Grimlorn

Arcane

No one is saying they are knights in shining armor, but through hacking all this server shit and pissing people off they can make it too much trouble for other companies to try in the future. That's how they save PC gaming from being always online, always on servers that will have lag, and from microtransactions.

Grimlorn

Arcane

-No. It's the fact that they fear the RMAH will interfere with their profit margin.
Are you sure about this? Instead of farming gold they can just farm items and sell them on the RMAH right? Seems pretty win win for them and Blizzard. I just figured they were doing this because they can make more money hacking people's accounts and selling them atm.

waywardOne

Arcane
I love it. Whatever herp Blizzard wanted to push didn't bother me. Once I saw the WoW-ified graphics to D3 and their snarky response to criticism of it, I knew I wouldn't be touching D3. But now, even though they're fully declined as defined by modern Bioware standards, I can't blame them for trying to take as much money from as many people as possible, because the people they're taking money from are the stupidest fucking people on the planet. I only wish it was a hardware-level trojan in Blizzard's servers.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Another interesting thing is that it seems only accounts with high level gear are being targeted (40+). From what I can tell, low level accounts with shitty gear aren't even being touched. So, how are they being found? How do the hackers know they have stuff worth stealing? Is it a weakness in the auction house - that these players have tried to sell something, which has therefore made them a target? Have these players downloaded some sort of map-hack tool or tried to purchase equipment from somewhere? But again, that assumes they're all idiots and I just don't believe that.
Inside job. Blizzard recently laid off 600 employees. I'm sure they're very happy about that and about D3's success. Just sayin'.

DragoFireheart

Are you sure about this? Instead of farming gold they can just farm items and sell them on the RMAH right? Seems pretty win win for them and Blizzard. I just figured they were doing this because they can make more money hacking people's accounts and selling them atm.

- Again, it's only a rumor I heard. I don't know for a fact that is how they actually feel about the RMAH. I'm mostly speculating why there is so much hacking going on. I mean, how many on-line games resulted in this much hacking of this kind within the first game? Is it the norm?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't read too much into it. Most likely it's just that the hackers have discovered a gaping huge hole in blizzard's unusually poor security, and are scrambling to take as much advantage of it as possible before the exploit is patched.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't really get this question. How do you crack a game where half the game runs on some Blizzard servers? The only way would be to make your own game and create your own loot and gameplay functions which would take months, years.

Unless someone working at Blizzard leaks stuff, that is.

Shannow

Waster of Time
From what I've gathered from some TPB comments they really need to set up a(n emulator) server. A simple crack after leeching all the needed info from the servers or something similarly "simplistic" will probably not cut it.
I previously thought it'd take 1-4 weeks to crack, now I suppose it could be significantly longer (if at all). Good case for all those "I wouldn't have bought the game anyway" pirates to prove themselves.

And Blizzard would have been crazy had they opened the real money AH with their current security issues. No matter what they might write in their EULA, in civilized countries they would have had to constantly compensate "hacked" people or be constantly dragged before court.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom