Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Diablo III Accounts Hacked

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
60$ (talking of US $ of course) doesn't make 83€. No bloody way.

tiagocc0

Arcane
It's strange, brazilian real to us dollar ratio is like 2 to 1 yet at blizzard site if I want to buy it in real it's R$100
hurray

EDIT: so it's actually 50 USD for brazilians

PorkaMorka

Arcane
It looks like the 49 Euro price was directly from Amazon.de, while the higher prices were from other sellers. The link that Shannow posted was sold by "Apollo1962", not directly from Amazon.de. http://www.amazon.de/Blizzard-Diabl...5LNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337973047&sr=8-1

However, for some mysterious reason, if you search Amazon.de for Diablo 3, the higher priced, non Amazon sellers come up first and you have to click the http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B0041O5LNM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new link to see the lower priced ones being sold directly from Amazon.de.

On the 'Kwan Amazon.com website this doesn't happen, the games being sold directly from Amazon come up first. So perhaps the confusion is caused by an error in the Amazon.de website?

I could be wrong though, I don't speak German. (The sites appear to be formatted very similarly though.)

Shannow

Waster of Time
On the 'Kwan Amazon.com website this doesn't happen, the games being sold directly from Amazon come up first. So perhaps the confusion is caused by an error in the Amazon.de website?
Seems like it. Funny thing, when I replied last time, I clicked the same link and it brought me to amazon, selling for 49€, but only sending out new stuff after June 8th. Now it links back to Apollo, selling for 85€ and only having one copy left and looking like a amazon product if you don't look carefully. Used to be you could separate amazon from third-party sellers at a glance...

Fuck amazon. First the stop paying taxes, then they stop paying their workers and now they've stopped working at all.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Are you claiming that I did not have both the dial in auth and the SMS auth?

No, you had those. But neither of those are the physical or mobile authenticator, the main line of protection that is being referred to. The Dial-In and SMS are just nice additional layers of security to add to the physical or mobile.

It's becoming pretty apparent that our naming scheme might be causing some confusion, and I apologize for that. I'll bring the subject up with my management, so can we review both how the devices are named and how they are presented. If you have only one authenticator on your account, you want it to be the physical or mobile, not the dial-in or SMS.

So basically two of the four types of authenticator systems Blizzard offers are worthless. So... why offer them? Hilarious.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't think there was any doubt as to whether or not it's happening rather is it just normal user stupidity or actually a problem with Blizzard's system.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Define "normal user stupidity" and how it applies to getting your account hacked and your character(s) being stripped bare.
In Blizztards's minds a "normal user" is a grandma who's using a mouse for the first time in her life. She'll click any phishing link, enter all her info into any program if asked and never heard the terms "anti-virus program" or "firewall". And so, it's no surprize that "normal users" get hacked all the time. It's certainly not Blizz' fault.

That shit may have had some validity in the early 2000s when the analogue generation became convinced of the internet and many naive, inexperienced people streamed into it. But the majority of people playing D3 now are digital natives or have had years of experience. 99% should be perfectly competent in internet secrurity. (Perhaps exept those who fall for "cheat" or "hack" programs. But since there has been no info on that account...)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I assumed, as many people do and against my better judgment, that my account had been inactive for so long I could continue its use with the password I've been using for the last 7 years and no authenticator. I knew better, and I ignored it. I now have the mobile authenticator, my new 12 character password, and am merely awaiting my restoration.
Wait...really thats what you are claiming is your fault?? A password that has been secure for you for nearly 7 years?? Yea thats really not your fault for getting hacked, if your system is clean, and you didnt do anything but just play a game. Then yea not your fault but blizzards instead.

Last time I ever saw a massive game get a bunch of accounts hacked like this. They didnt say oh it was all end user. It ended up a unknown back door was on their end, they apologized to the gamers, explained what happened, help restore things for the gamers, gave away a few things, and fixed it. That was years and years ago, when companys were more willing to take blame and fix it then pass it off.
No, that is my fault. Using the same password and email combination for 7 years on the internet is absolutely stupid. I'm not a stupid person, I don't lack common sense, and I generally make good decisions. This was bad judgment on my part, I know it, I own it, and I move on. That is what most of you should be doing instead of spewing out visceral comments towards Blizzard without any quantifiable information.
Wow, these Blizztards really are in deep. What, does this idiot think someone hacked his password 7 years ago or something?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, someone I know from a student's club at my old college had his ph@t diablo III lewtz stolen while he was showing me the game. I had a nice laugh watching his lootz disappear.

He uses a password generator program I wrote ages ago to spew out random passwords. That means his password is a mix of uppercase, lowercase, numbers and special characters. A couple of unused examples from pwdgen.exe for illustative purposes:
rSg_982Pg
m2NY5bøt
vRn4Q\62
tB.7Kqr#6

He had an authenticator.
He's a compsci major that's reasonably competent around computers.
He ran diablo 3 solely on his new laptop which at the time of writing basically has his OS, diablo 3, an antivirus program, a firewall, emacs and a c++ compiler.

So. Strong password, not used anywhere else. Up to date antivirus/firewall. Authenticator. No pants-on-head-retarded trojans installed. Played diablo for ~5 days, then lost all his lewtz.
I'd love to hear how it's his fault and not Blizzards. As far as I can tell, the only stupid thing he did was pay them money.

Either way, I talked him into installing world of tanks instead and we blew up some russian scumbags together. :brufaust:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Too bad even this example will be spin-doctored by Blizztards. And what can be done ? From what I know, they will roll-back your character to a couple of hours/days ago after you put in a support ticket - but you can request a rollback only two or three times in total ? Love to hear how Blizzard will proceed on this, Ulminati if possible.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Too bad even this example will be spin-doctored by Blizztards. And what can be done ? From what I know, they will roll-back your character to a couple of hours/days ago after you put in a support ticket - but you can request a rollback only two or three times in total ? Love to hear how Blizzard will proceed on this, Ulminati if possible.

I'm not touching the game with a regulation-issue 10 foot pole. But chances are I'll see my bro again next week when it's the weekly meeting in our student's club. I'll ask him how things went if he's there. My guess is he won't have touched diablows at all though. He already completerd the game on normal mode, indicated he was ketting kind of bored with it and is currently frothing at the mouth at the thought of unlocking a KV-1 in World of Tanks.

turul

Augur
Browsing through the typical politics and news of this very boring Tuesday morning, this thread was the most interesting and entertaining of all. Fuck Syria when Diablo III accounts are hacked!
Anyway, Never had a desire to purchase D3, it looks like Dungeon Siege with half of the depth and an inviting new feature called "we will hack your character at mid-game" so it has that unlimited re playability and a "never ending" game experience!

Actually Blizzard was right. They have given a true new meaning of the "hack' n slash style RPG" :troll:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is honestly false; Diablo 3 has more game depth than both D1 and D2. You do a lot more in the combat and the enemies require you to utilize all the skills you are given. It would be wrong to say it has less depth than DS because DS already had less than D1/D2.

That said, the security problems are glaring. While I am inclined to write it off as MMORPG launch woes it'd be nice of Blizzactivison to remember that D1/D2 weren't MMORPGs to begin with.

St. Toxic

Arcane
It's not like a roll-back solves the issue though, right? I mean, from what I understand it just clones the stuff and then the hackers can get a second fill.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If Blizzard is smart, they might suspend the RMAH indefinitely instead of pushing ahead with it anyway while doing a hackjob of fixing the exploit in order to exploit maximum moniez.

Keep your fingers crossed.

:smug:

But seriously, I'm just surprised that they haven't identified and patched up the exploit yet. One'd think that this sort of issue would be the current number one priority of their code monkeys. Aren't Blizzard supposed to be competent or something? Kotick must be strangling puppies at the thought of having his precious RMAH delayed.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
This is honestly false; Diablo 3 has more game depth than both D1 and D2. You do a lot more in the combat and the enemies require you to utilize all the skills you are given. It would be wrong to say it has less depth than DS because DS already had less than D1/D2.

That said, the security problems are glaring. While I am inclined to write it off as MMORPG launch woes it'd be nice of Blizzactivison to remember that D1/D2 weren't MMORPGs to begin with.

Kinda :deadhorse: here but what the hell...

Would you be this blasé about security issues in any other game if they allowed hackers to essentially wreck your single-player savegames?

What if Paradox entertainment forced an always-online requirement? You said you didn't care, because you could adjust for lag in what's essentially a turn-based strategy game with a fast forward button. then one day you fire up your save to continue playing the Holy Roman empire only to find some polish hacker had transferred the vassalage of all your duchies to Rus. And all paradox is willing to do about this is roll your game back to the start of the second crusade.

What if you fired up your no-kill ghost run of DXHR only to find a hungarian hustler threw your stun gun into a bottomless pit, shot a couple of civilians and left you in front of a camera with alarms blaring?

What if you logged into league of legends only to find some danish script kiddie had spent all your IP on Ezreal?

Because this is what this equates to. Only the hackers also get money for shitting on your entertainment.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
And it was 83€ before they sold out. Now they obviously get the next batch in in June. That batch will go for 49€ (until it nears sold-out status again).
That means there were people willing to pay 83€ (while amazon was already pointing out at that time that other vendors sell for 49€). I stand by everything I said. And don't expect me to do your thinking for you next time.

It's a bit late, I just saw this now, and I'm curious: Why the butthurt reaction to my post, especially in the last sentence? I was just making an innocent remark dude. So what exactly was your theory? Amazon sells its first batch of Diablo III copies for 83 Euros without problem (although competitors sell it everywhere on the internet for around 50 Euros) only to offer a 40 percent discount after 4 weeks on a product that is selling like hotcakes? Seeing your genius thinking in action, I'd rather not have you do mine for me, thanks.

Anyways, seeing all the drama caused by security issues is delicious. Retards who bought this piece of shit game had it coming and deserve no better, have fun wasting your time.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I love how the user comments on that article are just pages of people defending blizzard and blaming the consumer. Here's hoping blizz paid for these agents. How can it be considered "fair play" to lose progress or be unable to play your single-player game? Never mind that your password was your cat's name and not a string of random digits, or that you didn't use external authenticating software, or that it doesn't happen to everyone, or that you hang out on the shady parts of the web, or that the hackers are the ones actually doing the damage -- we're still talking about a game being broken. You can compare it to save-games randomly getting corrupted for a sizable percentage of the player-base. For any other game I'm pretty sure there would be a patch out pronto or it would be off the shelves pretty fucking quick.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
A very large portion of "neutral online commentors" are in fact either company employees, or employees of an another company that the commenting has been outsourced to.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A very large portion of "neutral online commentors" are in fact either company employees, or employees of an another company that the commenting has been outsourced to.

If so, they're doing a very good job of sounding like rabid fanmonkeys.

I would rather idiots being compromised then millions of players playing the game for free offline, instead of simply not buying the game, at least every single player will PAY Blizzard for their product.

PIRACY! Everything is permissible as long as those pirate scum don't get to play it for free.

tiagocc0

Arcane
I'm still waiting for when games try to detect if the game is a pirate copy and then goes to damage your OS like a virus.
It will be so much fun, butthurt every where even from those who bought the game because the code to identify if it's a pirate copy will probably suck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom