Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Sykar

Arcane
Speaking of Diablo 3
Boyarsky was brought aboard to work on the game back in 06 when development was rebooted and they had completely different aspirations of making it more of a robust "RPG" with C&C and such, hence why they hired him. Those initial ideas didn't pan out and so he was more or less left to spin his wheels there, which he himself has admitted in interviews since then. There's hardly anything egregiously bad about the worldbuilding and other narrative fluff in Diablo 3 i.e. the stuff he was left in charge of anyhow. The real issues lie in the core narrative and its writing which can obviously be blamed upon the director (Jay Wilson), story lead (Chris Metzen) and co-writer (Flint Dille), a guy whose prior credits consist of saturday morning cartoons by the way.
What, did you not like being called "NEPHALEM" every 5 minutes and how awesome you are? Or that the Lord of Lies was so obvious you immediatly realize it was him when he appears in front of you in the guise of the child emperor? Or that the supposed great strategist demon Asmodan was thwarted easily by you because he could not stop blabbing how he will own you? Or realize that that Adria will betray you right away? Curious! Do you not have a phone?!
:troll:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Not gonna lie, D3 had some nice things in it among all the shit. Dahlgur Oasis was pretty, and the descent from Bastion's Keep into Hell I found pretty cool. And it has Claudia Black as some sort of spider-demon-bitch-thing. :love:

Oh, and the game mode where you roam around the world collecting bounties is at least a more sensible way of playing the game after having beaten it than replaying the crappy story again and again, and much less mind-numbingly repetitive than the Nephalem rifts.

But, in the end, it's a very shallow and pointless game, and I feel like almost all of the time I have spent playing it has been utterly wasted. D2 doesn't make me feel that way.

Codex Year of the Donut
than replaying the crappy story again and again,
one of the most dumbest design decisions repeatedly copied in this subgenre is having to repeat the story on three difficulties
it's the most blatant proof that the people making these games are incapable of a single unique idea

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
But, in the end, it's a very shallow and pointless game, and I feel like almost all of the time I have spent playing it has been utterly wasted.
I'm not really trying to defend D3, but really any gaming is fairly pointless and a waste of time, outside of entertainment value. Unless your point was that you didn't even find D3 entertaining most of the time?

destinae vomitus

Educated
Speaking of Diablo 3
Boyarsky was brought aboard to work on the game back in 06 when development was rebooted and they had completely different aspirations of making it more of a robust "RPG" with C&C and such, hence why they hired him. Those initial ideas didn't pan out and so he was more or less left to spin his wheels there, which he himself has admitted in interviews since then. There's hardly anything egregiously bad about the worldbuilding and other narrative fluff in Diablo 3 i.e. the stuff he was left in charge of anyhow. The real issues lie in the core narrative and its writing which can obviously be blamed upon the director (Jay Wilson), story lead (Chris Metzen) and co-writer (Flint Dille), a guy whose prior credits consist of saturday morning cartoons by the way.
What, did you not like being called "NEPHALEM" every 5 minutes and how awesome you are? Or that the Lord of Lies was so obvious you immediatly realize it was him when he appears in front of you in the guise of the child emperor? Or that the supposed great strategist demon Asmodan was thwarted easily by you because he could not stop blabbing how he will own you? Or realize that that Adria will betray you right away? Curious! Do you not have a phone?!
:troll:
Oh I really really enjoyed it, one of my most loved aspects of the game right alongside the incredible itemization and the auction house. In fact my favorite part about Diablo 3's stellar plot is what they did with Tyrael. And I mean besides the obvious fact that they took his peculiar & marketable design and, in more ways than one, turned him into some plain ass nigga. All his actions and decisions are really really well thought out in regards to his character and the story overall. First things first he opts to become a mortal instead of just bailing to help humanity like he's done prior, which makes him fall from heaven like a meteor onto Tristram of all places cuz MEMBER DIABLO 1? As a result the dead awaken, the wildlife go nuts, demons run amok, all sorts of turmoil takes place due to him and on top of all that he's conked out with amnesia at the bottom of a pit. Brilliant move am I right. ;)

Eventually mr/mrs playerchar makes their way there thanks to the shitshow he's caused and sets out to restore his memory by way of gathering up his shattered mcguffin sword. Which characters like Rita Repulsa specify is super-duper powerful & important (that thing did blow up the worldstone after all), so much so that it becomes completely irrelevant after this narrative tangent, but nevermind that! Deckard Cain ends up getting killed by Rita Repulsa's butterfly magic during the thrilling fetchquest, yet another casualty that Tyrael is most definitely not directly responsible for. I'm gonna stop myself here before this turns into a logorrheic nightmare. His abject acts of moronery brilliant decisions are the cause behind almost everything of note that takes place during the story, the whole thing culminating with him oh-so deservedly becoming heaven's new aspect of WISDOM. Naturally his next wise decision sets the events of the expansion in motion, by the end of which most of humanity's genocided and the big bad evils are at large again. Oopsie poopsie! :oops:

What can I say, Tyrael was very well written, same goes for the rest of the plot.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
While we are at totally believable and well written non fan fic stories, Deckard Cain's story is totally believable in D3. Like he survived for days as a powerless old fart in an undead infested cathedral after a meteor crashed atop him only to die an hour later to Lady Butterfly with his last act being fixing Derpyel's worthless McGuffin. Oh, and I so loved how the Tristram cathedral rested near a cliff that was not there in Diablo 1 or that it looked nothing like the cathedral in D1 either on the inside. While we are at it, how did human Derpyel, the mortal, survive a fall from a dozen of kilometres, or more, out of the sky again? :lol:

Last edited:

destinae vomitus

Educated
I sincerely think that Diablo 3 has one of the worst narratives ever made when you account the scope and budget it had behind it. That thing spent ages in the oven with practically infinite money backing it, yet the end result is a literal farce through and through.
Chris Metzen must've been snorting obscene amounts of coke when he had the bright idea of getting some literal boomer with a background in penning episodes of Transformers and GI Joe to write for Diablo 3 of all games.

Sykar

Arcane
That and the shameless rehashing of old material. Like killing both Izual and Diablo in Act 4. When I saw Izudurr I went
tenor.gif

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
It's not that Deckard Cain got killed that was disappointing, it's that he died in the travesty that is Diablo 3.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
In a proper Diablo 3 they would've made all of the main characters from D2 suffer horrible fates. Deckard Cain was a glorified scroll of identify with a funny voice, anyway.

I agree that it's dumb to have to play three difficulty levels to roughly get the whole experience. They should make a longer game with one difficulty level in which you can make a proper build, and any NG+ type of thing should be approached as an added challenge.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Well, the sorceress got killed by a petty assassin. Which was about as stupid as it gets. Imagine the uber mega powerful sorc, slayer of prime evils dropping meteors, conjuring massiv ice and thunderstorms while teleporting at will all over the place and she gets done in by... some shmuck with a dagger.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, the sorceress got killed by a petty assassin. Which was about as stupid as it gets. Imagine the uber mega powerful sorc, slayer of prime evils dropping meteors, conjuring massiv ice and thunderstorms while teleporting at will all over the place and she gets done in by... some shmuck with a dagger.
Caster hubris gets them all in the end.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Can't cast jack if you never see them coming.

Morblot

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
But, in the end, it's a very shallow and pointless game, and I feel like almost all of the time I have spent playing it has been utterly wasted.
I'm not really trying to defend D3, but really any gaming is fairly pointless and a waste of time, outside of entertainment value. Unless your point was that you didn't even find D3 entertaining most of the time?
No, I mean it was even more a waste of time than some games. You know -- I hope you know! -- how some games can actually make you think about something, no matter how dumb, or feel some feelings, no matter how shallow, or, fuck, something. Diablo III does none of that for me. It's utterly pointless.

I'm sorry, I can't really explain it any better. Maybe you have it right; maybe I just didn't find it entertaining most of the time but still numbly kept playing it for hours on end due to having either an addictive personality or simply nothing better to do.

mediocrepoet

Patron
No, I mean it was even more a waste of time than some games. You know -- I hope you know! -- how some games can actually make you think about something, no matter how dumb, or feel some feelings, no matter how shallow, or, fuck, something. Diablo III does none of that for me. It's utterly pointless.

I'm sorry, I can't really explain it any better. Maybe you have it right; maybe I just didn't find it entertaining most of the time but still numbly kept playing it for hours on end due to having either an addictive personality or simply nothing better to do.
There are different types of games. Some of them are storyfag games and can be like you describe. Uh... not sure who goes into an ARPG for the narrative moments. YMMV I guess.

Morblot

Patron
There are different types of games. Some of them are storyfag games and can be like you describe. Uh... not sure who goes into an ARPG for the narrative moments. YMMV I guess.
It's not just about the narrative, but whatever, I can't really explain myself better than I did and it's pointless to try.

But yes, I suppose I am at least a bit of a storyfag -- I did suffer through Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty for the story alone. I don't even like RTSs!

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
The assassin must have been immune to the element she dumped all her points into.

Nathir

Liturgist
It's not just about the narrative, but whatever, I can't really explain myself better than I did and it's pointless to try.

But yes, I suppose I am at least a bit of a storyfag -- I did suffer through Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty for the story alone. I don't even like RTSs!

Starcraft 2 story was shit though.

Morblot

Patron
Starcraft 2 story was shit though.
Well, obviously. But I also watched every single episode of Star Trek: Voyager even though I hated it all the way from the pilot to the final episode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom