Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Codex Year of the Donut
kind of funny to think a blizzard north diablo 3 would have been worse than the actual diablo 3, because the design they wanted sounds awful

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
you sound like you have some weird caricature of him in your head.

Well, to be honest, Generic-Giant-Spider is entitled to have this burning hatred against Brevik.
Brevik, he killed his family and burned his barn to the ground, afterall...

Children have been born and have become adults and David fucking Brevik is still just that guy who worked on D2.

I really don't know why some people feel this need that other people (famous or not) must constantly prove themselves to them.

I think is some kind of projection where their personal failures demand some kind psychological negation through other peoples actions and achievements. :)
So he is on his second spider wife? How many spiderlings died? Is this why I'm seeing more flies than usual? Fucking Brevik... FUCK YOU!!!

So there are a bunch of these 3-4 hour streams of whatever

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet

Last Epoch and GGG devs must be ecstatic right now. Diablo IV was already going to be 3+ years late to the party.

Zeriel

Arcane
Weren't they already saying it was going to be 2023 at the EARLIEST? That wording sounds more like Bobby Kotick is breathing down their neck and wants sales now, and they're barely holding him off. Gotta squeeze every last ounce of blood out of Blizzard's rotting cadaver.

Reever

Scholar
Patron

Last Epoch and GGG devs must be ecstatic right now. Diablo IV was already going to be 3+ years late to the party.

At least it's understandable for D4 since it's a new game but what is even taking OW2 so long? Wasn't it just a single-player mode and some new models for the Blender artists? It's been two years since they announced that thing and it's still not even close to being ready.

Zeriel

Arcane
From what I hear OW2 is a victim of them realizing the Overwatch trend is past, and is in that particular type of development hell where they keep trying to redesign what it should be, without really knowing what would make it succeed like OW used to.

ADL

Prophet
I knew Overwatch 2 was fucked the second I heard they were lowering the player count after years of stressing the importance of 6v6 in OW1 as a core design decision. Why the hell did they even decide to do OW2 anyways? Those SP event missions were boring as shit and their post-launch support was pathetic. No SDK for custom maps and gamemodes, hardly any maps or heroes added since release.

I doubt even coomer degenerates will remember Overwatch as a franchise ten years from now.

Zeriel

Arcane
They're doing OW2 to get more sales, obviously. Micro-transactions pale next to a one-time burst of tens of millions of boxes moved at 40-60$. Blizzard (or rather, Activision) badly wants as many cash grabs as they can sustain, and OW was once upon a time looking like a golden goose new franchise they could milk for years like their old franchises used to be, but it didn't turn out that way.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Overwatch was embarrassing from the start, doubly so when you remember what Blizzard used to be (and is supposed to be). Warcraft 3 was such a classic, and that's coming from someone who only plays single player. No campaign in a traditionally multiplayer-focused genre has the right to be so memorable. So much variety, such fresh level ideas, so much missable dialogue, such imaginative easter eggs. Remember the Rexxar campaign? No reason that had to exist. It's the definition of something made because ''fuck you, I just like it'', and that's the best kind of entertainment, that which doesn't feel the need to justify itself to anyone.

Imagine going from all that to Team Fortress: Coom 'n' Consoom Edition.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I know this game is gonna suck so they may as well just show the world how much it'll suck by releasing it sooner.

Sykar

Arcane
I'd say he's pretty decent as a systems designer, maybe as a programmer too. But it's often the aesthetics and ambience that make people fall in love with games. Certainly none of the games he was involved with after D1 have the same artistic sensibility, but you can see the design connections.

I think he was good at putting the ideas other people had to execution but he didn't have many good ones of his own which is why so many of his other games reek and why his most notable achievement to this day is, "lead director of Diablo II." Children have been born and have become adults and David fucking Brevik is still just that guy who worked on D2.

lmao

He was one of the principal people who invented Diablo 1, you sound like you have some weird caricature of him in your head. AFAIR he was the main programmer who coded a lot of the game in the Condor days.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/diablo/credits

Of course programmers who had weird ideas or just didn't amount to much once the guys around them were gone is a thing. Look at Julien Lefay of Daggerfall fame for a great example of that. He was brilliant at the time in his core competency, but later attempts to do a round 2 looked really bad.

I don't think there's any reason to portray him as just a suit or a credit-taker though. He was instrumental in the design and implementation of Diablo 1, and hence Diablo as a series and its whole sub-genre.

Small sidenote, here's a random quote of a guy I found from Googling that reiterates the point:

I was a programmer on Diablo 2 and used the Diablo 1 source code as a starting point for some features - all of the source files I looked at had David Brevik as the author, it was very straightforward C that one person could keep in their head.

Brevik is a cornerstone for more than than just D1 and D2. I was a big fan of Marvel Heroes Online which was initially a pretty mediocre game but once he was the big dog they improved the game by leaps and bounds. Once he left it did not take a year until the servers shut down because the new top dog had no fucking clue what to do and thought that the game had to be Diablo 3 with a new paint job to be successful, but then again the retard had no clue about games and just about money.
He was also workin on Hellgate London which was ahead of its time despite its troubles and he also worked on DDO which is up and running for over 15 years and even has a small codex guild that is still active.

I just checked his wikipedia and he was also working on "It lurks below" which has very positive ratings on Steam and seems to a good game as well.

He might not have the biggest output but most of the stuff he worked on turned into good quality games. That is more than many other people in the buisness can say.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Werebear getting the attention it deserves makes me very happy.

Check out It Lurks Below if you haven't. Terraria with Brevik's magic is well worth the asking price. Speaking as one of the weirdos that was really into Hellgate London, I agree that anything he touches turns to gold

Sykar

Arcane
If I had not being deep into WoW at the time I would have bought Hellgate. I was thinking about once I get off the WoWcrack I would try a new drug and Hellgate was high up on my list at the time. Then it went down...

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
While I do respect Brevik's Diablo work, he seems to rest on those laurels way too fucking much, with a smug expression on his face, meanwhile having delivered nothing but trash games since the glory days of D2 20-25 years ago.

It's always easier to shit on other peoples work from afar, aint it?

So Mr. Brevik I ask you, What have you done for me lately?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd say he's pretty decent as a systems designer, maybe as a programmer too. But it's often the aesthetics and ambience that make people fall in love with games. Certainly none of the games he was involved with after D1 have the same artistic sensibility, but you can see the design connections.

I think he was good at putting the ideas other people had to execution but he didn't have many good ones of his own which is why so many of his other games reek and why his most notable achievement to this day is, "lead director of Diablo II." Children have been born and have become adults and David fucking Brevik is still just that guy who worked on D2.

lmao

He was one of the principal people who invented Diablo 1, you sound like you have some weird caricature of him in your head. AFAIR he was the main programmer who coded a lot of the game in the Condor days.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/diablo/credits

Of course programmers who had weird ideas or just didn't amount to much once the guys around them were gone is a thing. Look at Julien Lefay of Daggerfall fame for a great example of that. He was brilliant at the time in his core competency, but later attempts to do a round 2 looked really bad.

I don't think there's any reason to portray him as just a suit or a credit-taker though. He was instrumental in the design and implementation of Diablo 1, and hence Diablo as a series and its whole sub-genre.

Small sidenote, here's a random quote of a guy I found from Googling that reiterates the point:

I was a programmer on Diablo 2 and used the Diablo 1 source code as a starting point for some features - all of the source files I looked at had David Brevik as the author, it was very straightforward C that one person could keep in their head.

Brevik is a cornerstone for more than than just D1 and D2. I was a big fan of Marvel Heroes Online which was initially a pretty mediocre game but once he was the big dog they improved the game by leaps and bounds. Once he left it did not take a year until the servers shut down because the new top dog had no fucking clue what to do and thought that the game had to be Diablo 3 with a new paint job to be successful, but then again the retard had no clue about games and just about money.
He was also workin on Hellgate London which was ahead of its time despite its troubles and he also worked on DDO which is up and running for over 15 years and even has a small codex guild that is still active.

I just checked his wikipedia and he was also working on "It lurks below" which has very positive ratings on Steam and seems to a good game as well.

He might not have the biggest output but most of the stuff he worked on turned into good quality games. That is more than many other people in the buisness can say.

I can hear Generic-Giant-Spider fingers flexing while preparing to type and put this Brevik fanboy to his place :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom