Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
A big problem is they don't know how to make the game look cool. D1/D2 look cool. D3/D4 don't.

Just go back to that old, gothic look. Sui Generis/Exanima is making it work.

ss_c7909b66aea9ef87577f0b404d99df24d474463f.1920x1080.jpg

Gonna need a Codex report on this game. It looks interesting.

A true hardcore dungeon crawling ARPG with a good difficulty curve. Also has an arena mode. A skill-based Diablo 1. Think of a far superior Die by the Sword without the platforming. Designer is a hyper-autist who fixates on the miniscule while rebuilding his engine every 2 years. If it ever releases, I'll consider it a retirement gift. It's a well polished vertical slice/tech demo. Very much worth your time though.

Game also has physics-based combat which is quite fun once you get the hang of it. Layered armor system, and mostly historically accurate for the high middle ages (?) although I'm sure a historian would have quibbles. Two game modes: dungeon and arena. Dungeon is an old-school romp in a pretty large space and arena is where you manage a gladiatorial party, with time to upgrade/buy stuff in between fights.

But lads seriously, when do you think it will be released? I bet somewhere in 2023.
2023 is very likely, but with all these big games being delayed, I could see it getting pushed to Q1-Q2 2024.

As someone that unironically enjoyed Diablo 3 in spite of its flaws, I continue to be unimpressed with these quarterly updates. They’ve established the look and feel of the game several times now, so their continued focus on showcasing that stuff is a waste of time.

Obviously it will play well since they’re aping Diablo 3’s gameplay but we’re due for some meaty details. It’s time to detail the dopey MMO garbage they’re forcing, as well as the end game loop, since that is what will ultimately carry the game long term.

Generic-Giant-Spider

A big problem is they don't know how to make the game look cool. D1/D2 look cool. D3/D4 don't.

Just go back to that old, gothic look. Sui Generis/Exanima is making it work.

ss_c7909b66aea9ef87577f0b404d99df24d474463f.1920x1080.jpg

Gonna need a Codex report on this game. It looks interesting.

A true hardcore dungeon crawling ARPG with a good difficulty curve. Also has an arena mode. A skill-based Diablo 1. Think of a far superior Die by the Sword without the platforming. Designer is a hyper-autist who fixates on the miniscule while rebuilding his engine every 2 years. If it ever releases, I'll consider it a retirement gift. It's a well polished vertical slice/tech demo. Very much worth your time though.

Game also has physics-based combat which is quite fun once you get the hang of it. Layered armor system, and mostly historically accurate for the high middle ages (?) although I'm sure a historian would have quibbles. Two game modes: dungeon and arena. Dungeon is an old-school romp in a pretty large space and arena is where you manage a gladiatorial party, with time to upgrade/buy stuff in between fights.

I see it's a motherfucking-kill-me-I-hate-this-shit-EA game. How "complete" is it so far? Does it have a wide variety of monsters?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
More like brown and subdued.

Yeah, could be good. Will have to see more videos of it in action.

I see it's a motherfucking-kill-me-I-hate-this-shit-EA game. How "complete" is it so far? Does it have a wide variety of monsters?

I don't want to go off topic too much, especially since by all accounts, Exanima is much more incline than anything Blizzard will put out in the near future. But, Exanima is $15 USD full price, and that comes with a very large (7 levels IIRC) dungeon and a near complete arena mode. I would describe the dungeon crawl as probably the best single-character real-time dungeon that I've played in a while. Spent 20+ hours just grinding in the arena, which is more fun than it sounds like because of the physics-based combat (veers into dark souls git gud territory at times). Not a lot of monster variety, mostly realistic/subdued stuff.

Yeah, the game might be still in slow dev, but its hard as nails, permadeath, and has a very smooth engine that the dev built from basically scratch. Did I mention the dev learned how to code entirely for this game? That's like old school shit and I respect that.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I don't want to go off topic too much

Well shit, let's be real, the next quarterly update for D4 here will probably be how potions sound when hitting the floor. May as well talk something that's more interesting until they show something that's actually worth discussing.

I might give this Exanima game a shot since it sounds/looks like some gloomy shit I'd be into and seems to lack ugly color firework explosions that tons of these sort of games devolve into like Rusty showed. I'm hoping the combat carries good weight and visceral feedback to it, because that's like a big make-or-break for me.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
One area looks like someone splattered shit all over it before shooting the video. II had allusions to beauty and that is part of what made it atmospheric. Not grimdark everything looks like shit or gore all the time unlike what was shown of IV. Makes me think their market research determined people wanted darker than III so the devs are mindlessly following orders to create a dark environment, rather than creating something they want to see. The videos reminded me of Dante's Inferno, same unimaginative cynical grimdark approach. Undoubtedly IV will be kosher about subjects where it's too financially and politically risky to be coherent with the supposedly dark setting.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
One area looks like someone splattered shit all over it before shooting the video. II had allusions to beauty and that is part of what made it atmospheric. Not grimdark everything looks like shit or gore all the time unlike what was shown of IV. Makes me think their market research determined people wanted darker than III so the devs are mindlessly following orders to create a dark environment, rather than creating something they want to see. The videos reminded me of Dante's Inferno, same unimaginative cynical grimdark approach. Undoubtedly IV will be kosher about subjects where it's too financially and politically risky to be coherent with the supposedly dark setting.

TL;DR - Blizzard are trend chasing cowards. Agreed.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

You don't create a "dark" tone by making grim dark bloody assets. You design a normal place first and the think of ways to make it spooky.
Most early areas of D2 weren't even very bloody, just naturally dismal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom