Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo with Hellfire vs Diablo 2 with LOD

diablo 1 vs diablo 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beastro

Arcane
The first. Its just better and harder. Diablo II has too much trash-mob action, while the first one requires more finesse and strategy. Plus the first one has a better atmosphere.

I also like learning magic from books more than a skill tree.

It felt like an actual descent into hell going through the various levels. The second with its graphics and mob designs was on the road to WoW graphics which undermined their sinisterness.

Namutree

Savant
How can you not understand it, when it's been explained in this thread? You may or may not agree, but I find it bizarre that you don't understand.

It fugged up game balance and undermined the atmosphere (one of D1's greatest strengths) with low quality content. More is not always better.
Case and point, you say the balanced was fugged, but D1's balance was shit, because Sorcerer is objectively the best class by huge leaps and bounds, and some of the classes added in Hellfire narrowed the gap a little bit. Therefore, I'd argue that Hellfire is better balanced than vanilla. Come at me.

Some people prefer to mod the original D1 to get the best stuff from Hellfire without the stuff they don't like like, and that's the fairest point I've heard.

Undermined the atmosphere? Retarded opinion. The added areas are optional, some have stated they like them, some people like me don't have a strong opinion one way or another about the added areas. But nobody can argue that it takes away from the original content in any way.
Class balance is much worse in Hellfire. The buffs Warrior and Rogue got were tiny, while sorcerer was given a god-tier early game staff. Making Sorcerer the best right out of the gate. In vanilla D1, yes Sorcerer is strongest in the late game, but you actually have to earn it. That's a form of balance in and of itself.

As explained earlier in this thread, enemy stats were readjusted since players can do the 'optional' content and power up. You are punished harshly if you don't engage with the 'optional' content. That's of course, not even getting into how many players experienced Hellfire as their first playthrough, and didn't realize how shit the Hellfire content was, and had all the grim, gothic, moody atmosphere pulled out from under them for cringe Lovecraft crap.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
The first. Its just better and harder. Diablo II has too much trash-mob action, while the first one requires more finesse and strategy. Plus the first one has a better atmosphere.

I also like learning magic from books more than a skill tree.

It felt like an actual descent into hell going through the various levels. The second with its graphics and mob designs was on the road to WoW graphics which undermined their sinisterness.
That's what I think as well. You felt the gradual descent and warping of the Cathedral as it slowly got ever deeper into hell.

I think much of DII art was good, if not in line entirely with the first one. I feel it lacked the tightness of the OG in that aspect. I think all its acts did could have been done in a mood more similar to the original's Gothic spirit without losing the tone of adventuring the second game had, with the player going on a journey across the world.

Finally someone said what I always thought - Diablo II was the predecessor to WoW.
There was more to the aspect around what made the first so foreboding and that's where the only safe place you truly have is Tristram. Even if you know mechanically that clearing a level makes it safe, the atmosphere the game made reminded you that was only temporary in a story sense.

The music with Tristram added to that being both calming but not relaxing.

In the end the game left you happy to return to the safety of Tristram but knowing that it was only relatively safe. If no one did anything hell would spill out into it first. The town was isolated from the world, too. If you and the townsfolk did nothing, no one would rescue you.

It's the closest game that approachs the isolating helplessness of the Genesis version of Starflight, where the simiilar music/sound and game design made the space station your only refuge you were always happy to return to while you also had a pressing time bomb forcing you to go out into a galaxy where no help would come if you couldn't make it back home on your own.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Should be a poll on which character did you first beat diablo with.

Naturally the archer cause more t&a and moaning when she got hit. Next was fighter and wizard was last. Last was monk (mega op motha) You know, I never beat the game with barb or uh, whatever the other was. Bard? Some bard with no instruments.

somerandomdude

Learned
Class balance is much worse in Hellfire. The buffs Warrior and Rogue got were tiny, while sorcerer was given a god-tier early game staff. Making Sorcerer the best right out of the gate. In vanilla D1, yes Sorcerer is strongest in the late game, but you actually have to earn it. That's a form of balance in and of itself.
Warrior and Rogue? They gave you Barb and Monk which are better than Warrior and Rogue respectively. Barb is the only class that does enough weapon damage in Hell mode to not have to rely on using spells. Monk is the best hybrid, IMO. The non-sorcerer class options are better. Or the based take would be that the non-nigger classes are better.
As explained earlier in this thread, enemy stats were readjusted since players can do the 'optional' content and power up. You are punished harshly if you don't engage with the 'optional' content. That's of course, not even getting into how many players experienced Hellfire as their first playthrough, and didn't realize how shit the Hellfire content was, and had all the grim, gothic, moody atmosphere pulled out from under them for cringe Lovecraft crap.
You didn't know that you could start a new game and respawn the enemies, but keep your shortcuts open? Again, you don't have to play the new content. There's some randomization with the quests, and you might need to play through a few different maps to get the ones you want. This is something people already do and have been doing, so you got no point about being forced to play the optional content in order to power up. Redoing the last few floors is a good way to level up and get drops.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
worst diablo clones: harbinger
fight me

but for real, have you tried CYBERMERCS? It's Harbinger turned up to 11, it's great.

Turned up to 11 as in it's better or turned up to 11 as in it's worse?

I am in the mood for both a sci-fi and a diablo-like tbh
It is better than Harbinger, and more fun. It is analogous to a sci-fi D1, with a world map analogous to Doom’s, with a inter-mission gear and upgrade system that reminds me of Crusader.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a sloppy mess, but it’s actually fun and engaging to play unlike Harbinger.

edit: some screens here https://www.mobygames.com/game/4163...iers-of-the-22nd-century/screenshots/windows/

48A994B5-D93B-4E3D-B8DC-A83AE14366DD.jpeg

C4BBB4E3-2DC4-4925-9785-81D0C7C7BF11.jpeg

04E0CE2C-52FB-470A-A9D8-0FE4D2118614.jpeg

171DD7A7-B5B9-432E-8C66-1C4E57C511D8.jpeg

CAAB5EF6-73D7-4EA8-95F6-C713168DE12C.jpeg

D47957A1-0177-4665-851F-EDF56CA901B1.jpeg

82234260-D231-41F4-AD33-36E853676FC2.jpeg

8D98798C-43B2-4179-80EF-5D095110090D.jpeg

Attachments

• 61FB3B08-83B2-4BE9-9CB1-49B8CDB5F310.jpeg
    61FB3B08-83B2-4BE9-9CB1-49B8CDB5F310.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Namutree

Savant
You didn't know that you could start a new game and respawn the enemies, but keep your shortcuts open? Again, you don't have to play the new content. There's some randomization with the quests, and you might need to play through a few different maps to get the ones you want. This is something people already do and have been doing, so you got no point about being forced to play the optional content in order to power up. Redoing the last few floors is a good way to level up and get drops.
I did know that you can make a new game+ without having to beat it, as the dev didn't mind if you feel like ruining your experience by cheating, but even if we were to pretend that you aren't cheating and might as well just use God mode at this point, that still leaves 2 problems.

1) Having to redo a bunch of content you already did just to avoid shit content is shitty.

2) Having to make sure you get the balance just right, too little of grinding old content and you're still being punished, too much and now the game's rigged in your favor. Either outcome makes you feel like shit and pisses me off, as well as anyone that wants a tight, well designed experience rather than tedium and shit.

Hellfire sucks, it's changes to the balance suck, it's new content sucks, and it drags the game down. Hellfire shouldn't exist.

Edit: Putting Lovecraft shit into a Gothic themed setting. I hope the team behind Hellfire ended up homeless.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Diablo TCRF
Hellfire TCRF

Yeah, I'd say diablo was rushed a bit. It felt too damn short when I first got it and finished it in a few hours. I didn't expect much from later difficulty or full clears either.

Diablo II TCRF
May 8, 2021 — Released on June 29, 2001, the same day as Lord of Destruction, Version 1.08 further modifies skill balances, as well as modify what can be done

Diablo III TCRF

Diablo III​

Jump to navigationJump to search
Diablo III
Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
Platform: Windows
Released in US: May 15, 2012
Released in EU: May 15, 2012
Released in RU: June 7, 2012

Diablo III. The first game in the series which requires an internet connection. Famous for the travesty that was the Auction House.

Lol.. FIRST. Good job blizzcucks. Good job you tards.

Last edited:

Arbiter

Scholar
Once you learn that Blizzard was antagonistic to the very notion of Sierra making Hellfire, and understand that there was almost no working relationship outside of business units, Hellfire as the product I describe above makes even more sense.
Source? Sounds like there's an interesting story to be found...

It is known that Blizzard does not even consider Hellfire canonical, its story is not acknowledged in Diablo 2.

Arbiter

Scholar
Yeah, I'd say diablo was rushed a bit. It felt too damn short when I first got it and finished it in a few hours.

This always baffled me, with procedural generation they could have easily inflated the game by increasing the number of levels generated per tileset, for example to 6 or 8.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Diablo and Hellfire.
That's all you need.
An incredible dungeon crawler with dark atmosphere and great soundtrack.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Diablo and Hellfire.
That's all you need.
An incredible dungeon crawler with dark atmosphere and great soundtrack.
I recall recording the ost filling each side of a 90 min tape (45 each side). Oh my walkman... how insane you were.

But I'm crazy at times like me listening to these two mp3s

Looped back to back repeatedly for a few days while doing office work.

agris

Arcane
Patron

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I misssome of the best diablo sites on the web. Fuck if i can remember their names.

Anyway, this always irked me:

• The Summoner, the corrupted Mage from the Second Act that was impersonating Horazon, was evidently the Sorcerer in the first Diablo game. Jerhyn and Drognan speak of a near-insane Vizjerei mage who arrived in Lut Gholein (presumably seeking Horazon's sanctuary) claiming to have fought against Diablo in Tristram, suggesting that mage became the Summoner. The Summoner is also dark skinned, like the dark-skinned Sorcerer in the original Diablo.
That bitch is pretty fucking weak. I'm pretty sure my wizard was far stronger than that fucking flake even just after beating normal.

Arbiter

Scholar
That bitch is pretty fucking weak. I'm pretty sure my wizard was far stronger than that fucking flake even just after beating normal.

The same applies to Rogue/Blood Raven.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom