Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo with Hellfire vs Diablo 2 with LOD

diablo 1 vs diablo 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just died in act 2 for the first time and lost all 120k of my gold. Loved it. Best game ever.

Lol at you people calling D1 difficult. It's piss easy until the very last few levels. I'm sure it depends on the build and items, but my warrior was killing everything for 85% of the game. My barbarian in D2 is also plowing through mobs, but he is on occasion getting punked and forced to jump away. Also, I think the difficulty might have been different on release, before everyone started following the meta and putting all points into vitality. Maybe.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Would've been cool if you could import your D1 characters to D2 to fight them as bosses that had the equipment, stats and skills they had at the end of the first game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I know people just wanted to play your D1s in D2 but end game.. they all go stupid and ram a huge stone in their brain. Not my choice to be honest. First thought was SMASH THE STONE! Not stuff it in my brainbox?

Harthwain

Magister
Lol at you people calling D1 difficult. It's piss easy until the very last few levels. I'm sure it depends on the build and items, but my warrior was killing everything for 85% of the game.
I had different experience - Butcher can be difficult you take him head-on as a warrior (because he can stunlock you) and Leoric can be problematic without a Holy Bolt spell and clearing his support minions first. But other than that I had no major issues. The last few levels may require dodging projectiles (as they really hurt), but other than that it's no biggie. Even Diablo died quite fast when I played as a warrior. That said, as a warrior I put most of my points into vitality and strength (dexterity only so much to be able to use certain weapons), which could be the main factor.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Enemies are actually aggressive in D1, in D2 it seems like filler because every generic mob dies in one click and they initiate half as many attacks as D1 mobs. Maybe D2 gets better in the action gameplay later but it's not making me want to find out, just absolutely mindless experience so far.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I remember D2 was much harder around the time it was released. Maybe because I was bad at it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The bullet hell that Hell levels became with succubi was a really fun change of speed, if you got them.

Fighters who had succubi, archmages and the chain lightning death claws in their first run through Hell surely did not think it was a cakewalk

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ya'll buy the pnp books? I wasso fucking hooked I did and looked at the game guides with stats, and mod stats, and website stats to make sure they lined up for pnp.

...... and then i jusy played the computer and said fuck pnp.

D1 wasn't very hard. Just a few choice enemies could catch you offguard. Like opening a door in the catacombs and getting 20 spitters, or getting stunlocked by a herd of the rhino things in the lava caverns. Most if this was only in NG. By nightmare and hell mode you're so powerful nithing can ohase you. I die far more often in D2 than D1. No comparison.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Diablo 1 was a phenomenal game to play with my friends from school as a twelve year old (no, I'm not saying it had multiplayer, I'm saying kids used to know how to share back then).

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Spent more time playing D2 but Diablo was beyond mindblowing to me at the time. And decades later I appreciate it more. Very understated and simplistic but in the best way. I love the descent into the depths of the cathedral, each area becoming darker and more twisted, and eventually entering hell it's self. The sense of doom and dread is unmatched by anything. Also has glorious succubus titties. Diablo 1 is a masterpiece among masterpieces and there will never be another game like it.

Some of From Software's Soulsborne titles are the only games that come remotely close to it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
They'd be more glorious if HD and more pixels. Blizz would fuck that up and make hags in full gowns.

I can’t really say I found Diablo mind blowing when I first played it in 1997 over at a friends house. But it was fun. It had a cool mood and atmosphere to it.

Diablo 1 was a phenomenal game to play with my friends from school as a twelve year old (no, I'm not saying it had multiplayer, I'm saying kids used to know how to share back then).

But it did also have local multiplayer...if you had the PSX version. I guess you could also do it if you went over to some Richie Rich friends house with multiple computers.

I never owned Diablo, but I had two friends that had it; one had it on PC, and then sometime later one of them got the PSX version and we’d play that together. Ended up playing a lot of Diablo around that time.

Arbiter

Scholar
common misconception that D1 is harder than D2LOD

D2 classic is even harder

Consequences of dying in D1 multiplayer are much worse. D1 also has cursed items and items with 0 durability are destroyed permanently. It is also possible to permanently lose stats due to random effects of goat shrines and attacks of Black Death zombies.

D2 is therefore much more streamlined.

Last edited:

SilentMRG

Novice
I would vote for Diablo with Hellfire. This version with the DevilutionX source port is elegant and functional in every way.

What kills me in Diablo 2 is the excessive grinding, and the fact that the character always get contaminated with poison, ice and other rubbish... D2's gameplay is very tiring and maddening.
:shredder:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I would vote for Diablo with Hellfire. This version with the DevilutionX source port is elegant and functional in every way.
DevilutionX is the definitive way to play Diablo 1 at this point. Not only is it a solid engine for the game, it's been ported to nearly everything. There's even a 3DS version for people who have custom firmware. There's also an Amiga version. Even more crazy is that no matter what you're playing it on, you can play it with people playing it on some other platform. For those who still have a copy of Diablo laying around, bonus if they have Hellfire, and haven't heard of this, here you go:

https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX

What kills me in Diablo 2 is the excessive grinding, and the fact that the character always get contaminated with poison, ice and other rubbish... D2's gameplay is very tiring and maddening.
I disagree here.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Pshhh... classic was a piece of cake. Even as a newb I beat the game fast with each class then went to each higher difficulty. Then I got hellfire and cleaned the cows clops. When I hooked up to earthlink dialup I found the patches and mods then the fun began.

I like each game differently. MP was kind of cool in both. We went LAN but could only get a total of 2-3 of us. (My pa when he wasn't as insane and my sis).

DevilutionX eh? Which is the modern pc dl? The top? That's a huge fucking list.

ciox

Liturgist
I think we're talking about D2 Classic vs. D2 with patches and LOD.
Just making a note here that D2 is supposed to be played until you finish Hell difficulty. For most classes the real speedbump is probably the Ancients in Nightmare and again in Hell, cos no town portal allowed. It's not really a piece of cake even with LOD.
Lately I did get the urge to try unpatched D2 though, once you amass a certain amount of experience you actually start wanting to prepare and take head on all the bullshit, like un-nerfed Gloam lightning damage, unnerfed Iron Maiden from Death Knights, Lord De Seis stealing your potions, this fucker that thinks he found somewhere to hide, etc. Become the unstoppable force.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I remember D2 was much harder around the time it was released.

Classic Diablo is generally more difficult than LoD

jackofshadows You are wrong. Have you even tried Classic? No runes, no runewords, no mana pots in shops, no Elite items, etc.

Chaos Sanctuary in Classic is harder than anything in LoD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom