Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed Diary Of A (Mad?) Man - A Codexian Nightmare. (DREAMWEB) - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by ghostdog, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Might also be simply to save memory for other stuffies and thingies.

^ Top  
  2. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Nowadays the UI would include 'realistic psychopathic crisis progression' or some such popamole bull.

^ Top  
  3. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    It's kinda cool that putting on your sunglasses and your watch changes the UI.

^ Top  
  4. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    Heh. Like console TPSs that cover half the screen with your guy's back to save up on memory.

Oh well.

^ Top  
  5. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    An UI? In a computer game? That's sooo last century.
    One button should be enough for everyone.

:rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  6. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    < 08 > - < A BLAST FROM THE PAST >

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I am at last. Interplay Industries.

[​IMG]

The outside and the walkway leading up to the entrance is mostly constructed from stone. The sombre grey walls have only the smallest of windows and the building looks totally unwelcoming.

[​IMG]

Next to the door is a large keypad with the Interplay Industries logo printed at the top. I already know the code.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lobby is spartan and decorated to give an impression of efficiency. The blue carpeting and grey walls are lit by subtle blue neon lights. There is a reception computer here. It controls the building's security.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn. I must find a way to reach the upper levels. I head to the right, but it's a dead end:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To the left I come upon an elevator. On top of it is a huge analogue clock that has "Interplay Industries" written across its face in bold blue lettering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] The doors must be opened automatically by the security system, if only I could activate it...

I go back to the entrance and face my true enemy, the security computer.

[​IMG]

I don't know shit about hacking or engineering. My options are limited. My options can only be... EXTREME.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:yeah:

Chefe - Interplay supercomputer : 1 - 0.

[​IMG]

The burnt out remains of the reception computer. It fizzles and sparks occasionally and small wisps of smoke rise up from inside. The doors of the lift are now hanging open.

[​IMG]

I guess I'm going... up.

[​IMG]

As the elevator's doors are about to open, I'm thinking that things have gone pretty smooth so far...

[​IMG]

SHIT.

[​IMG]

Caen runs away and leaves me with his two armed goons. I reach for my pistol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FUCK !! The gun is not an option. What then, the knife ? The screwdriver ? No, I'm not a goddamn ninja, I can't pull this off. It's at this time of despair that my gaze falls on this mystical crystal I found in the Dreamweb...

[​IMG]

I hold the crystal firmly and raise my arms...

[​IMG]

One billion dreams flowing simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion nightmares traversing silently throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single web of dreams that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can sense their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every thought, every question and answer, every fear, every need and emotion.

I am there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My battle with the security guards has taken its toll. The walls are marked with bullet holes, fittings lay in broken shards of glass on the floor amongst the bodies of my victims, who themselves lay in pools of blood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caen's briefcase is left lying on the ground and a trail of blood leads through the nearby doors.

[​IMG]

This must be important for Caen to hold on to it so fiercely. I open it and find a file marked "Top Secret" :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stand for a moment trying to absorb all this information. It's truly invaluable, but if Caen escapes, it will be worthless. I start to follow on his trail...

[​IMG]

Standing at the bottom of the stairwell I can hear Caens's footsteps echoing back down to you. I must hurry now or he will escape and I doubt that he'd be so easy to find next time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rooftop of Interplay Industries gives me a vertigo-inducing view of the city. The wind blows strong against me and I find it hard to keep my balance. I see an aircraft on the helipad off to the left. Caen and Van Buren must be inside.

[​IMG]

I stand uncertain as the craft is about to take off. Not knowing what to do, I stand there for too long...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bad move. When uncertain, I can always turn to my trusty little friend :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before transforming into pure energy, I send a last farewell to Caen, Van Buren and Interplay. Another distorted childhood dream is laid to rest...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  7. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    Holy hell, it all finally makes sense! :eek:

:lol:

Love the comic, as always! :salute:

^ Top  
  8. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
  9. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    In the grim future of Bloodnet, pistols are so overpowered that they can blow up entire planes (granted, he was aiming at the engines, but still)...

^ Top  
  10. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    And the blast is confined to the plane itself. Our brave Codexer is perfectly fine two meters away from the damned plane.

^ Top  
  11. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Satori put you up to this ? :roll:

Yeah, thank god they built them with excellent safety regulations in the future.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Whops, it seems I had a slip of the tongue here. That's what happened, really, it totally was not a subconscious attempt to encourage you to continue the lp of certain cyberpunk game :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    We should preserve the comic for future generations of 'Dexers.

A sticky in Retardo should be our minimal goal.

:salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Hey ghostdog you forgot the writing on the door in panel 2 of the first comic page. Not that i care, but i noticed after all the work you had on panel 1.

^ Top  
  15. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I made it in!

^ Top  
  16. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Yeah I realized I forgot the door on the second panel after I posted it. I'll probably fix it along with the next chapter.

You know, after editing the watchmen comic I started to appreciate Gibbon's work a lot more. He really managed to fit in a huge amount of detail in each panel. Granted, the art itself is kinda old-fashioned and so is the strict number of panels in each page, but on one hand I think Moore wanted it to have this old-fashioned look and on the other hand, there is so much text in each volume that they probably had to do some compromising about the size.

^ Top  
  17. marooned Liturgist

marooned
    ghostdog Seriously there wouldn't be any Christmas without you. It shouldn't.

^ Top  
  18. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog

Merry Christmas !

^ Top  
  19. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    That's actually my ringtone.

If you hear the tune, it's already too late. Just so ya know.

^ Top  
  20. marooned Liturgist

marooned
    This game has an atmosphere like no other.

Wandering through youtube saw a random playthrough video and soon enough in the comments:

:rage:
    What's wrong with you.

^ Top  
  21. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    That's probably some 'Dexers trollin'.

:smug:

^ Top  
  22. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    < 09 > - < THE GEARS OF WAR ARE SET IN MOTION >

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once again the Dreamweb is calling me. Another kill, another dream.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] What has happened?

[​IMG] We sense that one of their number, a woman named Bleszinski, is weakening. She was a harbinger of the decline with her combat programmme "Gears of War".

[​IMG] I've heard of it. It's the one that made sticky cover action so popular. Some refer to it as "popping the mole".

[​IMG] Indeed, the repercussions of GoW were devastating, but Cliffella's past shows that when she started out, her intentions were good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] We fear that they are planning her assassination.

[​IMG] What if she is killed before I find her?

[​IMG] Then she has been lost to us. Seek out a woman called Jacy West. She is another warmonger. Her soulless, railroaded and heavily scripted "Call of Duty" campaign has caused the death of millions.

[​IMG] Where is she?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Wait, she was mentioned in Caen's file. I believe I know her whereabouts.

[​IMG] Then you must hurry. Your task lies ahead of you.

I am now familiar with the workings of the Dreamweb. Just as murder has ceased to shock me, so has the opening of the seals become nothing more than a simple key-turning process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That trip is always bumpy though...

[​IMG]

I take a look around and see that I am in an almost empty car park. I can hear nothing but the distant and incessant drip of water. The place smells of damp and mould and is lit by unfriendly green neon lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a sheen of water across the floor of the car park. A pickup truck sits in the corner and water from a broken pipe drips down onto it with a dull metallic clang. I can feel cool air blowing from the exit. My attention centers on the van :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tools like these always come in handy in situations like mine. I put them into my inventory and move on.

[​IMG]

I must reach Bleszinski ASAP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stand nervously by the wall surrounding the house I think belongs to the aristocrat. There is a strong smell of burnt wood in the air and the flicker of lights from a nearby Police car.

[​IMG]

Things don't look good. A Police car is parked haphazardly on the pavement guarding the entrance to the house. A detective stands by the car. The lights on the car flash constantly. I approach the cop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Sorry sir, I'll have to ask you to leave the area.

[​IMG] What happened here, um, detective...

[​IMG] Detective Vince D. Weller. Looks like a terrorist attack. Are you a journalist?

[​IMG] No I'm not.

[​IMG] Too bad, I really wanted to bust someone's skull. If you keep on waisting my time, I might just do that.

[​IMG] Uh... Actually I knew Miss Bleszinski. Was she inside?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Can I go inside?

[​IMG] No you can't. There's still plasma residue from the explosion. It's too dangerous.

[​IMG] Are you sure, I just wanted to-

[​IMG] Goddammit, I told you it's impossible right now. Come back next Thursday, we may have finished our work by then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Yes Sir, that's a good idea. Hey, you look familiar somehow...

[​IMG] Err, I just have one of those faces...

[​IMG] Hmm, I don't know...

[​IMG] Well, I used to play electric trombone in a scat-metal band called "The Fallouts". Maybe you've seen us live ?

[​IMG] What ? No ! Now if you don't mind, I've got work to do.

[​IMG] OK, goodbye...

I have a feeling I barely avoided a demonstration of police brutality. I should try to keep a low profile, but I must see what happened with my own eyes.

[​IMG]

This wall isn't that high. Maybe I could...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All right, I'm in !

[​IMG]

There must have been quite an explosion here. The whole wall of the house has been blown outwards. Inside I see broken furniture amongst the rubble. The floorboards have given way inside and a water main has burst.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I feel that the church is important... but where is it ?

I look around trying to find anything that could help me. I spot something among the debris :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It might be important. One last look at the scorched remains of the house makes me realize that Bleszinski couldn't have survived the blast. Time to go.

[​IMG]

Desperate in need to be close to someone, I head over to Eden's...

[​IMG]

No one here. She must be working. I entertain the thought of visiting Trash for a while, but I conclude that it won't do any good to my morale. I decide to walk back to my flat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The news are talking about me again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Bastards ! They pinned her murder on me !

And no word about Caen. I guess they're trying to keep his death a secret. Let's see what's inside that blue cartridge I found...

[​IMG]

Damn, it's password-protected.

[​IMG] Kotick, huh ? That's one of the seven... Dr. Kotick.

Just speaking the name out loud brings me shivers and waves of disgust. But he'll have to wait his turn. Jacy West is my next target.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  23. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
  24. marooned Liturgist

marooned
    Brilliant.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.