Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'm still wondering how the devs managed to fit 90 hours of content in this.

I'm still wondering how will they explain inevitable moment when someone 1111111's all the dialogue and beats the game in 5 hours.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I wouldn't watch that video if you're planning to play the game. The game has a strong opening and you'll lose out if you don't experience it yourself with a fresh mind.
Too late.. but the guy in the video did little in that time and I didn't see much. But I saw enough to say that PST opening is more interesting.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Snippet from upcoming interview: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/03/disco-elysium-sequel/

Disco Elysium devs already have big ideas for a sequel

While the fascinating surreal detective RPG, Disco Elysium should come to a tidy conclusion when it launches this month, developer ZA/UM say that should they get the possibility to make a sequel… well, they have some ideas. Chief among these is the option for a pregnant woman as a second protagonist, which sounds potentially wild in a wordy RPG where your inner thoughts and physical body claim a presence far greater than numbers on a character sheet. Our Alice Bee chatted with with ZA/UM about that and more when she recently visited them, and has oh so much to tell us about that soon. For now, have a snippet of sequel chat.

ZA/UM haven’t announced a sequel, to be clear. They don’t know if they would even be able to make one. Disco Elysium is its own complete thing, they insist, and is not leading towards a sequel. But should they get to do one, they might be thinking of “a very large game,” lead designer and writer Robert Kurvitz told Alice. “Even much larger than Disco Elysium, which is already quite large.” You should hold onto your saves, just in case.

Alright, Alice just nipped out the treehouse to get more custard creams (someone keeps scarfing entire packets? we need to do detective work ourselves) so I can sneak onto her computer and grab a chunk of that interview:

An end goal of theirs is for the sequel to have a second main protagonist. Rather than Disco Elysium’s down-on-his-luck middle aged male cop, players could choose to be a pregnant woman, about five months along, which Kurvitz says would be an “incredible writing challenge” within Disco Elysium’s very weird, very internalised system of skills and thoughts. “It would be unbelievable to use our skill system to speak about the bodily sensations of having another organism inside of you, while you’re in the setting and talking to another person.” I call that quite a spicy meatball.

He says that “since we don’t want to go for commercial suicide it there would have to be the male character too,” and right now they don’t know if they’d be able to include the female character as part of the full game. Kurvitz says that most games that offer a choice between male and female protagonists aren’t really doing so, and that it’s financially impossible to write a good male and female perspective with the production timelines involved. “They’re none of them, they’re soldiers, then, or saviours or something. They don’t have male or female characters in that way.” Disco Elysium’s protagonist is a man, “with all the baggage that entails”, and so they don’t want to just change the character portrait and call it a job well done. That being the case, they’re erring on the side of this female protagonist being an expansion.​

Shh. I hear clomping on the ladder. Shh! She’ll show us the rest soon.

Disco Elysium launches October 15th on Steam and GOG. God, I want it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime Junta

Does the world feel big?

Yes and no. The environment you're actually exploring doesn't, but it feels like it's a part of a much bigger world. It's pretty compact in terms of acreage but super dense.

BTW I just spun up this again after a long while and discovered an entire area I hadn't seen before. It is very cool. Since screenshots are allowed ...

CVXAOJ5.jpg

I know that tiled stove. I have seen it in the flesh, blue and red marker and all...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
By the look of things, Disco Elysium is about to join Grimoire and Underrail as the only truly exceptional RPGs of the post-Renaissance era. If you are a genre veteran everything else can be freely skipped.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Some questions:

1. How does your partner/companion like Kim above affect the progress of quest? Do they have their own skills which takes place over yours when they are higher? Or do they have scripted, specific functionalities where they might be useful on certain scripted situations?

2. How much does the equipping thought stuff affect your game? Is there any disadvantage of not equipping a thought from the thought cabinet?

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Snippet from upcoming interview: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/03/disco-elysium-sequel/
Disco Elysium devs already have big ideas for a sequel

While the fascinating surreal detective RPG, Disco Elysium should come to a tidy conclusion when it launches this month, developer ZA/UM say that should they get the possibility to make a sequel… well, they have some ideas. Chief among these is the option for a pregnant woman as a second protagonist, which sounds potentially wild in a wordy RPG where your inner thoughts and physical body claim a presence far greater than numbers on a character sheet. Our Alice Bee chatted with with ZA/UM about that and more when she recently visited them, and has oh so much to tell us about that soon. For now, have a snippet of sequel chat.

ZA/UM haven’t announced a sequel, to be clear. They don’t know if they would even be able to make one. Disco Elysium is its own complete thing, they insist, and is not leading towards a sequel. But should they get to do one, they might be thinking of “a very large game,” lead designer and writer Robert Kurvitz told Alice. “Even much larger than Disco Elysium, which is already quite large.” You should hold onto your saves, just in case.

Alright, Alice just nipped out the treehouse to get more custard creams (someone keeps scarfing entire packets? we need to do detective work ourselves) so I can sneak onto her computer and grab a chunk of that interview:

An end goal of theirs is for the sequel to have a second main protagonist. Rather than Disco Elysium’s down-on-his-luck middle aged male cop, players could choose to be a pregnant woman, about five months along, which Kurvitz says would be an “incredible writing challenge” within Disco Elysium’s very weird, very internalised system of skills and thoughts. “It would be unbelievable to use our skill system to speak about the bodily sensations of having another organism inside of you, while you’re in the setting and talking to another person.” I call that quite a spicy meatball.

He says that “since we don’t want to go for commercial suicide it there would have to be the male character too,” and right now they don’t know if they’d be able to include the female character as part of the full game. Kurvitz says that most games that offer a choice between male and female protagonists aren’t really doing so, and that it’s financially impossible to write a good male and female perspective with the production timelines involved. “They’re none of them, they’re soldiers, then, or saviours or something. They don’t have male or female characters in that way.” Disco Elysium’s protagonist is a man, “with all the baggage that entails”, and so they don’t want to just change the character portrait and call it a job well done. That being the case, they’re erring on the side of this female protagonist being an expansion.​

Shh. I hear clomping on the ladder. Shh! She’ll show us the rest soon.

Disco Elysium launches October 15th on Steam and GOG. God, I want it.

Pyke 's CAYNE had a pregnant woman protagonist and it was great, then again it is free.. Still, is the protagonist's sex that big of a purchase decision? I know I would be as excited for Disco Elysium even if you were playing an attack helicopter instead..

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
By the look of things, Disco Elysium is about to join Grimoire Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Underrail as the only truly exceptional RPGs of the post-Renaissance era. If you are a genre veteran everything else can be freely skipped.
Fixed it for you. I know what you really meant.

Prime Junta

1. How does your partner/companion like Kim above affect the progress of quest? Do they have their own skills which takes place over yours when they are higher? Or do they have scripted, specific functionalities where they might be useful on certain scripted situations?

Scripted, specific functionalities. One of your skills -- Esprit de Corps -- influences his actions, as does your relationship with him, which is clearly tracked behind the scenes (although there's no visible stat for it).

2. How much does the equipping thought stuff affect your game? Is there any disadvantage of not equipping a thought from the thought cabinet?

Quite a lot. There are mechanical bonuses (and penalties) from the Thoughts, and it also affects the dialogue options that are available to you. There is no malus for not equipping a thought, other than not getting the bonuses from it. There are... what, 50 thoughts or so in the game and only 16 slots, most of which you have to spend XP to open, so you will be not equipping most thoughts in any given playthrough.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
By the look of things, Disco Elysium is about to join Grimoire Kingmaker and Underrail as the only truly exceptional RPGs of the post-Renaissance era. If you are a genre veteran everything else can be freely skipped.
Fixed it for you. I know what you really meant.

Yeah. Kingmaker would have made it to the list, but unfortunately kingdom management is a huge stain on the whole experience. Instead of a traditional quest structure, you have awkward 4X/RPG hybrid gameplay that's based on a series of "time attack" events (which are bugged). To add to that, it's not a very well made minigame.

If you disregard that central feature which drives the whole gameplay, what you have is a fairly good spiritual successor to Neverwinter Nights. A shame, really. Even with a premade ruleset and a premade campaign, they still managed to fuck it up.

Deleted Member 22431

By the look of things, Disco Elysium is about to join Grimoire and Underrail as the only truly exceptional RPGs of the post-Renaissance era. If you are a genre veteran everything else can be freely skipped.
You forgot to mention...

AGE OF DECADENCE

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Kasparov ,the beginning has bad pacing. Don't let it slip the same mistake as Deadfire's. Devs make the boring tutorial/beginning section which was made skippable later.
Why even make something redundant or make people bored.
Patch in the combat from starting area. You want to make people interested with drama and conflict.

Deleted Member 16721

Even the dialogue responses are Planescape red with a similar font. Paying homage I see.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Kasparov ,the beginning has bad pacing. Don't let it slip the same mistake as Deadfire's. Devs make the boring tutorial/beginning section which was made skippable later.
Why even make something redundant or make people bored.
Patch in the combat from starting area. You want to make people interested with drama and conflict.
Your mother has a boring tutorial section.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

I have a preview copy but I don't want to spoil it for the official release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom