Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Deleted Member 16721

The dialogue system has dead ends, so it doesn't proceed in a linear fashion. I have failed checks and been denied continuting conversation with certain NPCs. I have also succeeded and got more info and possibly items from them. It is not linear.

You also get interactable items to play with in your inventory. You can also pawn items for money, or interact with them to learn more about them, etc..

Latro

Arcane
The dialogue system has dead ends, so it doesn't proceed in a linear fashion.
i'm talking plot, not necessarily branches of dialogue. are there different endings? and do they have conversation "flags" that determine which ending you get?

Deleted Member 16721

i'm talking plot, not necessarily branches of dialogue. are there different endings? and do they have conversation "flags" that determine which ending you get?

I don't exactly know what you're asking. So far it's very open, read my post above. Dialogues can diverge in a myriad of ways, shocking amounts of ways actually, ways I don't currently understand fully. But I have had all sorts of outcomes happen so far and it's completely open to explore and do what you want in. But the detailed outcomes are not linear. There are different endings for all of them, and a lot of branches along the way.

Latro

Arcane

I don't exactly know what you're asking. So far it's very open, read my post above. Dialogues can diverge in a myriad of ways, shocking amounts of ways actually, ways I don't currently understand fully. But I have had all sorts of outcomes happen so far and it's completely open to explore and do what you want in. But the detailed outcomes are not linear. There are different endings for all of them, and a lot of branches along the way.
do the later days take into account what you did in the previous day in a meaningful way, or does it proceed no matter what "ending" you got (example: something you did on monday completely removes something you could have done on tuesday, etc). I bring up twine games because that's exactly how they work - with tons of different branches and etc etc.

also, are you getting paid by ZAUM?

Deleted Member 16721

If Jinn would unignore me, he'd read my impressions. Ignoring me is silly, I'm friendly.

But yes, some of it is linear I guess. But the conversations vary. I had one very non-linear, dead end (my fault) conversation with an NPC. Another NPC had a linear conversation with lots of branches for exposition.

Deleted Member 16721

do the later days take into account what you did in the previous day in a meaningful way, or does it proceed no matter what "ending" you got (example: something you did on monday completely removes something you could have done on tuesday, etc). I bring up twine games because that's exactly how they work - with tons of different branches and etc etc.

also, are you getting paid by ZAUM?

You can only play the first day in the demo. But there is plenty of stuff to do. I interacted with a clipboard and had all sorts of skill checks, most I failed. They led to dead ends that are now locked out for me. I gathered a bunch of tasks, or "quests". The dialogue is well-written and there's lots of it. It's like Planescape: Torment - Amnesiac Cop Edition.

JDR13

Arcane
Does it always show the dice roll onscreen or is there an option to toggle that off?

Also, can you manuallly save your game anytime you want?

Hey I tried to describe the concept of this game to one of my coworkers and they said its going to for sure not have enough content at launch. Kasparov can you comment on this??? thanks!

codex troll gif

Jinn I love you very much buddy ok please dont hurt me

Deleted Member 16721

Plenty of content. I've got about 10 tasks already, plus I'm internalizing some thought, in the THC thought cabinet. That seems to be a big quest of its own - find my home basically.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Thought cabinet = THC = main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana

Coincidence?

Or is it just hipster game developers trying to easter egg a reference to the psychotropic compound that caused the excessive brain trauma which led to them spending five years developing a Twine text adventure Non-RPG game.

YOU DECIDE

Deleted Member 16721

Does the game have a set number of days after which it ends? Or can you fuck about as long as you want.

Don't know, can only play one day in the preview version. Previewers get the full version at the start of next week, so I'll report back when that happens.

So far, I'm fucking glued to my screen. The writing is fantastic, it just keeps you glued wanting more. Very polished stuff. I love the conversations with NPCs, they can go in so many directions it seems. The world is interesting, and the game reminds me quite a bit of Numenera, or PS:T. Lots of interaction with things, weird conversations, memorable characters (again, the writing is really fucking good) and so on. It's a game for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom