Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Torment is a full-fledged D&D game with a focus on exposition and branching dialogue, it is absolutely still a RPG, unlike Disco Elysium. Just because you don't like the RPG part of Torment does not mean it is not there.
You're missing the point and kinda proving my point at the same time.

I didn't say I didn't like the combat, just that it was there as a side effect of DnD system and in no way had any tactical value, unlike BG or IWD combat.

Prime Junta

reveal thy NDA, what combat does disco e. have? is turn based RPG combat? real-time RPG combat? basic bitch nu-xcom AP shit?

That's not under NDA, it's been described multiple times. The fights are set pieces. They occur through the dialogue interface. You're presented with a situation and a set of options. The options available to you are determined by your stats, skills, and gear. Some of them have probabilities associated with them, also determined by your stats, skills, and gear. You pick an option. 2d6 is rolled against the probability, which determines the outcome, which is a new situation you're presented with. This is repeated until combat ends.

Put another way: this is a cRPG simulation of narrated tabletop RPG combat.

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Twine shit are not games.
Twine games check off every box that Disco Elysium does, it simply does not have the support of Infinitron or Cunta.

Twine creations are games as much as a child's absent-minded scribble is a painting. Being an interactive software does not a game make.

barghwata

Savant
Not sure why this is so complicated, the game allows you complete freedom in how you build your character through stats and skills, and the character build impacts every aspect of the game, the gameplay, the story, quest solving, dialogue etc........
What does a game have to do to be considered an RPG i don't understand, can anyone of the people claiming DE is not an RPG explain to us what an RPG is? so we can understand your point of view.

vota DC

Augur
Disco Elysium is not a rpg; if we were to consider it a RPG, then Borderlands, Stalker, and even Dishonored all have the right to be considered full-blown RPG games.

This is bullshit. In japan JRPGs without combat and branching dialogue are rightfully considered virtual novels - here in the Codex we have this obvious non-RPG classified as a RPG and for what? Who's getting paid? Who's profiting?
Disco E. has NOTHING in common with real RPGs, it's true progenitor is ZORK and Twine - these are TEXT ADVENTURES. Nobody considered Sanitarium a real RPG.
Monkey Island with stats and multiple ways to solve the situations would be RPG, just an unusual kind of rpg or borderline like Jagged Alliance 2. Sanitarium doesn't have stats and there is one way to solve puzzles.

Latro

Arcane
Disco Elysium is not a rpg; if we were to consider it a RPG, then Borderlands, Stalker, and even Dishonored all have the right to be considered full-blown RPG games.

This is bullshit. In japan JRPGs without combat and branching dialogue are rightfully considered virtual novels - here in the Codex we have this obvious non-RPG classified as a RPG and for what? Who's getting paid? Who's profiting?
Disco E. has NOTHING in common with real RPGs, it's true progenitor is ZORK and Twine - these are TEXT ADVENTURES. Nobody considered Sanitarium a real RPG.
Monkey Island with stats and multiple ways to solve the situations would be RPG, just an unusual kind of rpg or borderline like Jagged Alliance 2. Sanitarium doesn't have stats and there is one way to solve puzzles.
none of those games are RPGs :/

Nice goalpost shifting there bro.
There was none, I asked if there was "RPG combat", and text-based dialogue options aren't "RPG" combat" :/

Prime Junta

There was none, I asked if there was "RPG combat", and text-based dialogue options aren't "RPG" combat" :/

You still haven't defined "RPG" or "RPG combat" yet though.

Nor answered my question: there are tabletop RPGs with no combat. Are they RPGs? If not, what are they?

Latro

Arcane
Look. I am not attacking Disco Elysium's value as a game. It could be a good game, a great game. It could be the most important game of this generation.

But it will not be a RPG.

Terenty

Liturgist
Twine games check off every box that Disco Elysium does, it simply does not have the support of Infinitron or Cunta.

I specifically googled top twine games just now and played Girl Crush. Disco Elysium is definitely not one of them.

On the other hand i have a question for Prime Junta:

Where does the challenge come from in Disco Elysium?

barghwata

Savant

I specifically googled top twine games just now and played Girl Crush. Disco Elysium is definitely not one of them.

The challenge i presume, comes from cracking cases, you play as an investigator so you will probably have to ask the right questions, piece informations together to come up with the best conclusion and just generally make the right decisions, and the stats and skill checks are there to aid you in doing just that.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Let's settle this once and for all. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, madamen und herreren, incels and furries, I give you...

Huge Nick's Ultimate Guide To What is An RPG.
gYKpLTR.png

Last edited:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I think the worry comes from being stated several times that you can recover from failures by picking up other clue trails. Sounds rather forgiving at face value.

Latro

Arcane
Let's settle this once and for all. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, madamen und herreren, incels and furries, I give you...

gYKpLTR.png
Let's go a step further.

Can you LARP = Is there a Character Creator.

So Dark Souls qualifies as an RPG, but Disco Elysium does not.

CASE CLOSED.

barghwata

Savant

gYKpLTR.png
Let's go a step further.

Can you LARP = Is there a Character Creator.

So Dark Souls qualifies as an RPG, but Disco Elysium does not.

CASE CLOSED.

What?? are you saying DE doesn't have a character creator?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Disco E has no combat

... he said, as he lay bleeding on the ground from a bullet to the gut

There are tabletop RPGs that have no combat. Are they RPGs? If not, what are they?
I think when people say "combat" they really mean to say "challenge". Just so happens that the vast majority of RPGs implement challenge thematically via combat.

Problem with DE is from what we've seen, there doesn't seem to be any challenge. It looks quite sleep inducing.

Dude, I died multiple times in the first ten minutes. My low endurance character died from a heart attack after failing a roll to remove his pants from a ceiling fan.

Just because it doesn't have traditional combat that doesn't mean you can't get a game over screen. You have health points and volition points. If you run out of either, you're dead. Failing physical checks tends to cost you health, failing more emotional checks tends to cost you volition. Drugs that boost your stats also cost health or volition. You can recover these with "potions" or by succeeding at stuff.

I think the worry comes from being stated several times that you can recover from failures by picking up other clue trails. Sounds rather forgiving at face value.

There are lots of ways to accomplish many of your goals in this game--that's a good thing! Nevertheless, when you fuck up, you will feel it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom