Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Molina

Savant
We said not the moms.
:despair:

bataille

Arcane
Sorry about the holdup with the review: I've been feeling down lately, so it's been moving at a snail's pace. It's almost finished, though, and should be ready fairly soon. I had some interesting insights this month, so it may yet prove worth the wait. But it's going to be mostly cold and apocalyptic, especially towards the end, so don't expect me to just gush over the game. And I mean it positively, of course. In a way. If that's your thing.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

My sad rating above is about the feeling down bit, not the rest of it. Also not sure it’s a good idea to listen to fantadochemistry.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
But it's going to be mostly cold and apocalyptic, especially towards the end, so don't expect me to just gush over the game. And I mean it positively, of course. In a way. If that's your thing.

That's interesting -- I've been idly fermenting some thoughts about the ways the game fails to achieve its desired effects (in terms of game design and more importantly authorial intent). I'm not sure I could write an article out of that, though, and even if I did it probably wouldn't be worth publishing. I'll see if you touch upon anything of that sort.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Kasparov do you have that Dolores Dei image (that one from the church) in high resolution and not broken? I would like to tattoo it.

I just met her and... fuck, this game is killing me :negative:

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I've considered offering to write a review, but despite all my grievances DE is still an excellent visual novel, while my review would be heavy on mechanics and deconstructing its shallow systems, retarded ruleset and railroaded fake C&C. And I don't think it needs to have its mechanics exposed to the wider internet, because in the end, it's a fantastic game for storyfags and it doesn't need a grognard review. I try to support indie devs when I can and I don't think they should be shat on just so Codex gets few days of lulz.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Fuck it, would you really be interested in reading a piece that goes over my personal journey with ZA/UM from the preview to the bit where the phasmid made me cry?

That right there is the reason why you should not write a review for the game.

The phasmid part was absolutely trash and I'm pretty sure nobody can say for sure what the fuck it was all about. For me the entire encounter was meaningless because at that point the plot already jumped the shark when The Deserter was introduced.

While I do think the game is actually great as an immersive experience, I also strongly believe that the game is a complete failure from a narrative point of view. Mostly thanks to the unfocused writing and the failure to commit to any strong conclusions. The game always hints or teases, always jokes about serious themes, it's sassy and saucy but ultimately it fails to commit on anything.

I don't pretend to be a very erudite person and my emotional intelligence is limited but my impression is that there isn't much meat under the skin of the game. It's like it was written by people which barely left the hipster condition for people who need validation for their intelligence or their hobby.

I do agree that the writing is way above everything else released in the last years however within a literary perspective it's just mediocre. If this shit made you cry then you are not in a position to review the game. It will be redundant to have a review from you when we have dozens of pages where you praise the writing. Sorry for being blunt.

bataille

Arcane
But it's going to be mostly cold and apocalyptic, especially towards the end, so don't expect me to just gush over the game. And I mean it positively, of course. In a way. If that's your thing.

That's interesting -- I've been idly fermenting some thoughts about the ways the game fails to achieve its desired effects (in terms of game design and more importantly authorial intent). I'm not sure I could write an article out of that, though, and even if I did it probably wouldn't be worth publishing. I'll see if you touch upon anything of that sort.

Oh, but the apocalypse is there precisely because the game achieves a couple of things spectacularly. They have to do with
hauntology.
I think my take partially addresses one of the common misunderstandings about the authors' intent, but we'll see.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Google tells me I'm not sure how I feel about Derrida showing up in a RPG Codex review. But I do trust your judgment.

Prime Junta

bataille please please please cite Derrida, it will forever break the Codex

In other news, this thing I'm writing, it is turning into an unsettlingly masturbatory autographical piece, Infinitron might regret his blanket "whatever you write, I'll publish it"

my mother's in it

not Derrida though

and I haven't even gotten to the actual game yet

bataille

Arcane
Google tells me I'm not sure how I feel about Derrida showing up in a RPG Codex review. But I do trust your judgment.

Not Derrida but rather this: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/20863042-ghosts-of-my-life

When I was thinking about one of the authorial attitudes that didn't really make sense, I suddenly recalled the whole Mark Fisher's aesthetic theory that he peppered throughout his writings, and it just clicked. Everything from the major overarching themes to the sad little seaside tune fell into place.

I didn't build the review around it or anything. It's just a point I address there.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I've been feeling down lately,
Fallow my example and get drunk! Getting wasted from time to time cleanses the mind and the soul.

The true Bulgarian way :salute:

All you need to beat depression is copious amounts of rakia and the memory that Bulgaria was once great, 1000 years ago.
Nah,all i need a rakia and the knowledge that my country is great :smug:. Tho it is a shame that we are letting all those godless western refugees in. Also depression is a modern western garbage excuse of laziness. Hard work doesn't leave time for pitying ons self!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom