Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Harthwain

Magister
Eh, some people either have no idea what they are talking about or are straight up lying about it. Doesn't mean the definition itself is wrong.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UI Fixes.
Huh, I wonder if that includes fixing the "hide the HUD" functionality that people have assured me exists yet never worked. I'm still about 50/50 thinking that Kasparov was just trolling me when he said it was implemented, to steal my $40 and hope I put up a good Steam review anyway.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lost me at the piss stained, cum stained pants part.

I have a feeling playing this game is going to be like when i read Nabokov, a mixture of appreciation for the talent but a latent aversion for the author and his works.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Watching that video reminded me that the devs actually censored their own dialogue. Holy fuck that was stupid.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The word "faggot" is used repeatedly by a voiced character and they censor both the text and audio.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ha i see, so they censored it because it was "sensitive" and not because it was vulgar.

Not that i care much for a game having to end up in a position to write stuff like faggot in it. Torment didn't need it, didn't it.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I find that hilarious. They want to be edgy and daring, but God forbid they offend Reddit lmao.

Torment didn't need it, didn't it.
Didn't Torment have made-up words that fulfilled basically the same functions as their real-life counterparts?

Yes but it's not the same thing. Likewise in Thief it's one thing to hear people call each other taffers, another to call each other fuckers or cunts like they do in the Witcher, something i found really jarring.

I guess i preferred when games were innocent escapism and didn't reflect the real world too much.

Harthwain

Magister
Torment didn't need it, didn't it.
Didn't Torment have made-up words that fulfilled basically the same functions as their real-life counterparts?

Yes but it's not the same thing. Likewise in Thief it's one thing to hear people call each other taffers, another to call each other fuckers or cunts like they do in the Witcher, something i found really jarring.

I guess i preferred when games were innocent escapism and didn't reflect the real world too much.
My position is to either use swear words, but not use them thoughtlessly (The Witcher and Prototype being good examples) or make do without them (which takes some measure of skill, because it's harder to pull off well and convey certain emotions). Making fake swear words is the worst, because to me it feels like a lousy sham. "It's not THAT swear word, since it's not written down in the exactly same manner, hence it's OK for us to write it!". Except everybody knows what word it is, so...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's a fake fantasy world, i don't see the issue with using fake swear words.

Disco Elysium has a setting where actual swear words do have a place, but i guess even there it depends on how they are used, and why.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It depends how much effort has gone into the construction of a believable alternate lingo. When Battlestar Galactica has its characters speak normally except for using the word "frak" instead of fuck, that's laughable and distracting. Torment, on the other hand, draws you in with its peculiar linguistic mannerisms from the outset.

"Hey chief. You okay? You playing corpse or you putting blinds on the Dusties? I thought you were a deader for sure."

That's the very first line of the game, and I'm already willing to go along with all the made-up swear words the game can throw at me.

Harthwain

Magister
It's a fake fantasy world, i don't see the issue with using fake swear words.

Disco Elysium has a setting where actual swear words do have a place, but i guess even there it depends on how they are used, and why.
Using fake swear words is simply cheap, especially when it's so selective. I wouldn't mind them if it was a whole another language or a different culture, but most of the time it's not.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Sorry, i can't concur. Butter explained why. The world of Torment is rich in made up jargon. They aren't using fake swear words just to avoid using real ones. They are using them because it fits in the world they have build.

Harthwain

Magister
Oh, that's no problem. It's perfectly fine for people to not agree on something. It's all down to everybody's personal opinion after all. We're just sharing our points of view on the matter is all.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Must... remain... calm...

jimmies.png

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Speaking as someone who has actually played the game, the use of language is fine and fitting for the setting. Anyone who is offended by the appearance of asterisks has way bigger problems than any they might project onto the developers.

In fact, I commonly wonder whether the censoring of just that one word is a joke by the devs. Did you fall for it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom