Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

frajaq

Erudite
Sooooooo after all this time do we have a decent figure for the number of sales?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Russian fan translation was handed to the professionals.

Sad, but they have tried their best. Disco is a hard game to translate. The only one which is more hard, I think, is Sunless Sea/Skies.

KVVRR

Learned

Very interesting watch. One of the few that don't harp on the politics of the game, or even the characters, too.

Vatnik Wumao

Very interesting watch. One of the few that don't harp on the politics of the game, or even the characters, too.

Wasn't aware of this channel, but it looks like quality content. Just subbed and I'll be watching the video that you've posted. Thanks for the recc, mate.

KVVRR

Learned

Wasn't aware of this channel, but it looks like quality content. Just subbed and I'll be watching the video that you've posted. Thanks for the recc, mate.

Definitely quality content :incline:.

glad you enjoyed it, just found out about the guy yesterday and it's crazy to me that he isn't more popular. He has a lot of good videos and it looks like his upload schedule is well managed.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So DE is one of the few games featured for showcasing Steam's new point system, along with Valve games, Doom Eternal, and The Witcher 3: https://store.steampowered.com/points/shop/app/632470

03a1637604520006641a7275bb411814a15982df.png
ee2eddfae4ec190eada30dd5b9662be775f33a4d.png
9be48b253b0c70483a6c2603d1b409be3d7c1479.png
1108b516a2266b857d08c2a5f2e7854b14b87ad1.png

Buy games! Get points! Buy animated DE stickers with the points!

(Btw it takes 1,000 points to buy a sticker, and Steam gives you 100 points per a 1 USD purchases.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am getting closer to the end of the game, and while some people have claimed that the quality drops significantly at that up until now it is only rising.
I have done all the church and radio and icetent sidequests now and that was some of the best content in the game.
I hope this doesnt disappoint me on the finish line but up until now I see nothing wrong with Goty 2019.

Only other rpgs released on this quality level that year were Fell Seal and Operencia.
Titan Outpost, Druidstone and Outward still have a long road to go and Legends of Amberland and Greedfall arent very ambitious.
Bloodstained didnt impress me much although it is fun, Outer Worlds is mainstream fare.
Sunless Skies is really good aswell but even less an RPG than Disco.

Children of Morta and Slay the Spire are okay, but both outclassed heavily in their genre.

Disco does something unique and doesnt have to hide from comparisons with other rpgs in the borderline Visual Novel/Rpg genre.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am getting closer to the end of the game, and while some people have claimed that the quality drops significantly at that up until now it is only rising.
I have done all the church and radio and icetent sidequests now and that was some of the best content in the game.
I hope this doesnt disappoint me on the finish line but up until now I see nothing wrong with Goty 2019.

Only other rpgs released on this quality level that year were Fell Seal and Operencia.
Titan Outpost, Druidstone and Outward still have a long road to go and Legends of Amberland and Greedfall arent very ambitious.
Bloodstained didnt impress me much although it is fun, Outer Worlds is mainstream fare.

Children of Morta and Slay the Spire are okay, but both outclassed heavily in their genre.

Disco does something unique and doesnt have to hide from comparisons with other rpgs in the borderline Visual Novel/Rpg genre.
You should try Vagrus if you hsv

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

You should try Vagrus if you hsv

On release, after I got blueballed by Stoneshard hard (I love that game but over half the features are missing), I avoid early access games like the plague. Looks really good tho and high fantasy > pseudo russian depression as a setting.

Harthwain

Magister
Some people just can't accept that an RPG doesn't need to be combat-heavy in order to be an RPG. That's literally it. I don't have that problem, because I never looked at RPGs as strictly dungeon crawlers (focused on exploration and combat). The more modern approach to RPG is that it allows you to interact and Disco Elysium does that pretty well, for a (heavily scripted) video game.

I think the only way to make an ultimate cRPG would be by creating a simulation that allows you to make choices organically, by allowing the player to interact seamlessly with the in-game systems. But that's a completely different story.

Harthwain

Magister
I think the only way to make an ultimate RPG would be by creating a simulation that allows you to make choices organically, by allowing the player to interact seamlessly with the in-game systems.
a very organic visual novel to be sure
You must be very butthut about it, since pretty much every single comment of yours in this thread is pretty much whining about Disco Elysium being a "visual novel". Either that or you have an advanced Alzheimer.

Sure, Disco Elysium is no different (control-wise) from being a point'n'click adventure game. So what? It has the system based off the actual PnP (in fact, the developers had it expanded, so the game could cover more options) and you have to make rolls in order to determine the outcome of your actions. You may not like it, which is fine, but not recognizing it is an RPG is asinine at this point.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
In my opinion, the best thing to do with obvious GARBAGE games is to let them run their course. Those FADS won't last because they are GARBAGE, they can fool people into initially buying into them but afterwards there will be a decline in sales no matter what. Only true quality can keep up and even increase sales long term. This phenomenon can be demonstrated in many games, gamestyles, and franchises. Eventually the shit just goes away like being flushed in a toilet.

This is not the first time an adventure game made a big success and a huge splash in the industry, yet later that style of game faded away and the company went the way of Interplay. It happened already in this decade with Telltale games. Initially the Walking Dead game made a HUGE SPLASH, it even got GOTY AWARDS and was generally succesful financially, but the formula grew thin eventually and a few years later Telltale went out of business.... You could only fool people that their choices mattered and that your visual novel contained "gameplay" for so long before they simply refused to buy your shit anymore.... Shills and influencers can only fool customers into giving you sheckels for a short period of time....

The same thing will happen with Disco Shitisium. So i have no worries.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In my opinion, the best thing to do with obvious GARBAGE games is to let them run their course. Those FADS won't last because they are GARBAGE, they can fool people into initially buying into them but afterwards there will be a decline in sales no matter what. Only true quality can keep up and even increase sales long term. This phenomenon can be demonstrated in many games, gamestyles, and franchises. Eventually the shit just goes away like being flushed in a toilet.

This is not the first time an adventure game made a big success and a huge splash in the industry, yet later that style of game faded away and the company went the way of Interplay. It happened already in this decade with Telltale games. Initially the Walking Dead game made a HUGE SPLASH, it even got GOTY AWARDS and was generally succesful financially, but the formula grew thin eventually and a few years later Telltale went out of business.... You could only fool people that their choices mattered and that your visual novel contained "gameplay" for so long before they simply refused to buy your shit anymore.... Shills and influencers can only fool customers into giving you sheckels for a sort period of time....

Incredible, the guy who thinks Skyrim is the best game ever made doesn't like Disco Elysium. I'm shocked.

Vatnik Wumao

This is not the first time an adventure game made a big success and a huge splash in the industry, yet later that style of game faded away and the company went the way of Interplay. It happened already in this decade with Telltale games. Initially the Walking Dead game made a HUGE SPLASH, it even got GOTY AWARDS and was generally succesful financially, but the formula grew thin eventually and a few years later Telltale went out of business.... You could only fool people that their choices mattered and that your visual novel contained "gameplay" for so long before they simply refused to buy your shit anymore.... Shills and influencers can only fool customers into giving you sheckels for a sort period of time....

Incredible, the guy who thinks Skyrim is the best game ever made doesn't like Disco Elysium. I'm shocked.
Most of the people that got onto the DE hate bandwagon are combatfags who tend to view video games primarily (if not exclusively) as a form of entertainment rather than an artistic medium. So whether they'd acknowledge it as an RPG or not, they still wouldn't be able to appreciate it since (contemporary) high culture is something which is foreign to them.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
and you have to make rolls in order to determine the outcome of your actions

Just like in Don't Get Mad and Monopoly, the ultimate RPGs.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Yeah,because the die system is a true novelty in RPGs. Can you imagine if you had to throw a bunch of dies to see if you managed to hit an ork with your glorious long sword or if you will slip and impale yourself on to it???? Such a novel idea.....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom