Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Harthwain

Magister
Full voice acting is the norm for Point and Click Adventure games like Disco Elysium, I was mostly surprised that it didn't feature full voice acting at launch.

Point and Click Adventure games doesn't have a fucking million words (oh sorry, a million + 150000 in final cut). I can't even imagine how much work it is for VO.

Also you are retarded.
He's just trying to be cheeky.

By the way, try voice acting this point & click adventure game game*. Like, the whole of it:

post-138285-0-28686600-1295037376.png
* Yes, the repetition is there on purpose.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Gettin' the actors back to provide more VO for their characters iseems pretty standard. It's the addition of brand new VO for the skills that makes me wonder and worry.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Full voice acting is terrible.

I liked the VA in Disco Elysium. Sad that I'll have to switch it off now, because full VA fucks up my own reading pace. :(

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I think a good compromise for people with reading OCD, would be to only see list of dialogues that you click, and then when other character talks you don't see a text, UNLESS you click to expand. This way people would listen to voice over, instead of reading and listening at the same time which is horrible.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I think a good compromise for people with reading OCD, would be to only see list of dialogues that you click, and then when other character talks you don't see a text, UNLESS you click to expand. This way people would listen to voice over, instead of reading and listening at the same time which is horrible.

That would just make me click more.

Even in games like New Vegas and Fallout 4 I switch on subtitles, read them, and skip ahead to the next line when I've read it, rather than wait for the voice actor to finish.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Even in games like New Vegas and Fallout 4 I switch on subtitles, read them, and skip ahead to the next line when I've read it, rather than wait for the voice actor to finish.

I guess you don't like audiobooks either right? Why so hurry? Then for people like you i guess the only option would be to put whole dialog in dialog log AFTER the dialog. This way you would have no way to click and read. If you missheard something you could always exit the dialogue and check.

Harthwain

Magister
You guys realize that the in-game options have "Voiceover Volume" so you can just bring it down to 0?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

I guess you don't like audiobooks either right? Why so hurry? Then for people like you i guess the only option would be to put whole dialog in dialog log AFTER the dialog. This way you would have no way to click and read. If you missheard something you could always exit the dialogue and check.

I don't like audiobooks, no. I have never listened to one. I prefer to read books.

Why force a player who doesn't wanna listen to voiced dialogue to do so? I prefer reading at my own pace. Having to wait for voice actors to finish talking makes me antsy. I don't enjoy it.

Harthwain

Magister
I don't like audiobooks, no. I have never listened to one. I prefer to read books.
It's great if you commute a lot. Or don't have space/free hands at the moment. Or exercise. Also, it doesn't have to be audiobooks. You can listen to documentaries, too (or any video/audio, really).

Scrounger

Educated
JarlFrank, it's mostly some unconfirmed rumors but I heard they actually voiced every characters in parts, like in the present version of the game...
In any case, months are ahead of us so if they voiced all of the lines, we could ask them to add toggle off/on option, it shouldn't be that hard!
(I mean if they really gone that far, this could be a very nice option)

Scrounger

Educated
Haha Jesus! :D
Not quite happy, I still hope for an option.
Also, that autistic dedication...either way, it will be interesting!

Of course I just bought it on sale a few days ago. Well I will just play the Original 'Reader's Digest' Edition (TM) :obviously:

Tigranes

Arcane

"Your voiceovers are shitty quality, expensive, and as a small side effect, interfere with just reading"
"We have a solution, which is to make reading so inconvenient and annoying that you'd sit there and listen!"

Fuck no, is this the same design principle behind customer service lines where it is fucking god damned impossible to get through to a human and they won't even let you press 0 now

prengle

Savant
Merchandising.
Expanded editions.
Console ports.
Online teasing.

"We'd like to thanks Marx & Engels" alright :lol:
Communists can't hold onto vast amounts of $$$ at once without feeling intense guilt, so hopefully by hiring Patrick Stewart for 3 minutes of voice acting they'll solve that problem...

lobsterfrogman

Scholar

Apparently even the skills are voiced! Wonder if they got 24 different actors? Maybe one per attribute?

This is decline. Since skills are a part of your personality they should all talk with your voice. I LOVED the fact that a single actor made VOs for both Ancient Reptilian Brain and Limbic System and now they are retconning this :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom