Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Zero Credibility, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Larianshill Learned

Larianshill
    You can have a wide range of opinions on all matters of VA, but Jean Vicquemare's new voice is a crime against humanity. What were they thinking? Not in love with Korty's new VA, and why did they feel the need to replace Ruud's actor for two of his lines, I have no fucking idea.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Archwizard Hank Learned

Archwizard Hank
    I've begun the long and arduous process of decoding this game's files. I'm starting with the original version of the game just to get an idea of where the audio is stored and what scripts reference them, though the asset extractor I'm using has problems opening the asset bundles from the Final Cut, which is troubling. Going to run tests with the other Unity tools I have downloaded just so I can confirm whether or not it's a problem exclusive to the tool or a problem with the Final Cut. If it's the latter, this may have to get tabled until the devs of these mod tools can update the databases, because I know all of dick and shit about tool development.

What I have to work with here (open)
    [​IMG]

I have a less sophisticated asset extractor to compliment this, though it's more tuned to extracting models. I also have several programs for comparing and contrasting C# and .net code which should hopefully expedite the process of figuring out what references I need to change, but I don't expect this to be done until the end of the month at best. In any case, I'm giving it my all.

• Salute Salute x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. KVVRR Learned

KVVRR
    Nah, Jean's new voice actually sounds like a french policemen instead of someone forcefully trying to imitate a person who has smoked 3 packs a day for 30 years. The only problem is that he can't emote anger/annoyance as well as the previous guy.

Godspeed

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Larianshill Learned

Larianshill
    What do I care if he sounds french or not? If he's incapable of sounding fed up with your shit - which is the whole point of his character - he's not a good fit for the character.

^ Top  
  5. KVVRR Learned

KVVRR
    The point was that he sounds like a human being rather than a caricature now, but you're right in that he really should be able to express his annoyance better

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zariusz Learned

Zariusz
    Can you get full rcm uniform now? I remember there were RCM pants in game but there wasnt any way to obtain them. Maybe they implemented them finally.

^ Top  
  7. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    Wait so Lena was supposed to be party member?

Shame they never restored it because the finale would make a lot more impact if lena was there.

This was supposed to be a screen from 2017
    81e2a2e.jpg

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Larianshill Learned

Larianshill
    Yes, the game even contains a reference to that.

^ Top  
  9. Fredward Educated

Fredward
    I'd like to report a bug: apparently this is the final cut but you can't kiss Kim under the Pale moonlight it can't be.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. His Dudeness Educated

His Dudeness
    Just started it, pretty good so far reminds me of Grim Fandango with skill checks instead of clicking puzzles.

I like how the skills are voiced, reminds me of the hypothesis of the bicameral mind.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. xasanom Literate

xasanom
    I don’t appreciate how they massacred Cuno’s VO. It was pure gold..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    No. Once you let the genie out of the bottle, you can't get it back in.

The original Klaasje is not bored, she's thoroughly worn out by the life she has led. And completely unfazed by the antics of the protag. There is a certain Twin Peaks-isque disconnect.

While the new voice acting is "better", it projects a different character. There is laughter in her voice now. And they voice the parts that were in your head. Reality can never compete with your imagination.

Another case of "less is more".

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Should probably change the thread tag to Decline now.

• incline x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Multi-headed Cow Magister

Multi-headed Cow
    Random thought-dump after some more hours. In day 2 now, either I'm hitting some new content or (MUCH more likely) retarded physical Harry was missing great swaths of game in my first playthrough since now I'm even finding out about the drug smuggling which I had none of before. Similarly, Raphael wasn't able to bring up the cock carousel while that was one of the ongoing highlights of Harry. Voice acting's still feeling mostly positive but there are still a few lines here and there without audio and only about one instance where the audio levels were noticeably different between lines. I'm curious about once I get to the cryptofascist since IIRC he had the absolute fucking worst audio quality in the original release. Disco still head and shoulders above everything else for the writing, and the C&C's enjoyable since my first playthrough didn't give a terribly good sense of what I was missing. Likely because a fair bit of it ends up behind those hidden skill thresholds rather than the big obvious dice rolls. Sitting on your skillpoints is good for jacking up skills/getting rerolls on checks but bites you in the ass for the passive checks. Not to mention simply depending on whatever build you're doing.

Sure as fuck hoping for another RPG along these lines and in the same setting.
    [​IMG]

I INTERNALIZED THE HOMOSEXUAL UNDERGROUND TO CLAIM KIM AS MY WAIFU AND IT DIDN'T WORK, SEND IT THE FUCK BACK!

TECHNICALLY it feels like Cuno's lines are higher quality now. Both the recording itself sounding better and the delivery. But yeah, I miss the ear-shattering FUCK DOES CUNO CARE too.

^ Top  
  15. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You nearly got it right. I grief for the hair I lost while playing their previous masterpieces PoE/Deadfire. I've never bought, installed or played Outer Worlds :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    If you are willing to lend me a hand, I'm looking for a way to encode my own mp3s into a wwise format and replace Deadfire's combat music. All the methods I've tried so far have given me no audio ingame.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Fredward Educated

Fredward
    IKR? Allow me to set the scene: it's Harry and Kim stranded on the last archipelago of the stable now the Pale is everywhere but the moon still recalls what is to shine as they decohere into geometry and history they lean in for a kiss something beautiful is coming and we are borne ceaselessly into the past.

ALSO does anyone know if hardcore mode's extra XP makes up for the increased skill checks if you cheese Actual Art Degree, Wompty-Dompty Dom Centre and Jamais Vu? I haven't played hardcore mode yet but I might try now but the most important thing is content high skill checks unlock.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Twiglard Arcane Sad Loser

Twiglard
    This is zoomer redditfag slang, don't do that.

The amount of Pale may grow or recede based on the amount of living humans at any time. That is, there can be some stable equilibrium where it doesn't increase or decrease anymore.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Rabbity_Thing Savant

Rabbity_Thing
    Should I play this game?

• Yes x 14
    • No x 6
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/124904-disco-elysium-the-final-cut-reviews.html

• Brofist x 2
    • meh x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    GOTY 2020 and 2021!

• Funny x 3
    • incline x 3
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. KVVRR Learned

KVVRR
    probably 2022 too if things keep going the way they are

• incline incline x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Multi-headed Cow Magister

Multi-headed Cow
    I'm playing on hardcore and I'm being a communist art cop to MAXIMIZE THEM XP GAINS (Also conveniently the polar opposite of my first character anyway) and I can't really say if they make up for the increased skill checks, but they do pay for themselves if you consider one skill point is worth a thought-slot. Art degree does at least. It's been long enough since my previous run I can't say with confidence how much harder the difficulty checks are so I haven't got a good sense of how much higher you need to pump skills, but since the "Pay for themselves" threshold mechanically is just getting a single level's worth of XP out of them, they're worthwhile. The most important part of course is just picking whatever fits your Harry and even on hardcore rolling with the punches, but from a powergaming perspective they're good.

Yes, it's the best storyfag RPG in ages. Runner-up would probably be Torment Numa Numa which is more flawed than Disco or PST but still has some cool shit in it.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik

Hóngwèibīng
    :obviously: And this why I love this game:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. gabel Learned

gabel
    Yeah, keep defending the retarded shit game. Not only no gameplay, but now wasting money on voice acting all the dialog. lel

• butthurt x 8
    • Brofist x 3
    • Participation Award x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • cuck x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.