Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Vatnik Wumao
Is it worth playing the game again if you've completed the original version?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is now a Klaasje comparison too:

The new voice has none of the mystique of the original. It feels bog-standard. Even before that though, and I'm not sure if this is an artifact of video recording, but the new voice kinda sounds like she's speaking over Discord. The mixing is definitely a bit off.

Why is the game being narrated by a Huana from Deadfire? Za/Um have been smoking too much.

What people are failing to consider is that VOs that sound good for a few lines, to provide maximum characterization for the character, may be overbearing or grating when extended to the character's entire dialogue
Don't even try to sell me this shit. There is simply good and bad voice acting. Grim Fandango was fully voiced, and it didn't need bland or bored-sounding tone, nor people who sound like they are struggling to read, in order to "not feel overbearing or grating". It was great because it was done by actors.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking of Grim Fandango - when they made the director's cut version for that game, the remixed soundtrack was again terrible compared to the original. Another proof that it's down to talent or technical ability respectively.

KVVRR

Learned
Finished the game with an ultra lib high int and mot artcop Harry. I think the new VO is overall an improvement BUT for the people who'd rather hear the characters themselves talk rather than just read it. Personally, if Classic mode would disable the narrator voice for the skills, I'd play it that way. I don't know why it doesn't.

Spoilers below.

New voice actors are a mixed bag. There are a few like Miss Oranje Disco Dancer and Harry's entire precinct that are actually better than their originals even if they lack in some parts (Jean's new voice actor can't get as angry his predecesor) and most of them are at least on par, even if they're reinterpretations like Lena, who sounds less like deary old Grandma but like a gentle old lady from the south, or Garte who doesn't sound as refined but puts a lot more emotion into his lines. But for every one who fits there are some that are just straight up a downgrade. I don't know what they were thinking with the new Titus. He sounds like a drunk barely awake trying to put up a rough act, which hey, it is part of his character, but not all the time. Especially not after the tribunal. It really isn't as imposing as his previous voice, who actually gave the impresion of a tough man leading a group of vigilantes. It clashes REALLY hard in the tribunal, because he sounds very similar as Raul Kortenaer (the RIGHT TO WORK mercenary) who is also a decline from his previous actor. New one doesn't sound neither as drunk nor as angry.

The voices for characters that didn't have any are pretty good though. As said before Harry's entire precinc is now full of personality and makes me want to do a full Espirit de Corps run. That they have a lot of different yet well put accents really gives them a lot more of colors. There are also a very good detail with the Shivers skill. You know how you have the skill actually talk to you instead of describing the world every now and then? They went through the effort of dubbing these lines with another VO rather than the narrator who usually does it, so every now and then you'd hear her. The city, speaking to you.
And then you get to the last dream, and realize it is actually Dora/Dolores Dei voice you've been hearing all this time.
There are a lot of new good ones voices. Horrific Necktie, The Phasmid, the murderer, even the DJs from SPEEDFREAKS fm are all very good. But with a game as big on words as this, I'm not sure it's worth it unless the main thing holding you back from playing it was having to read this much.
Something weird I noticed was that sometimes the new voicelines didn't match with what was happening or even written on screen. The most noticable one I can remember is that halfway through the Ruby showdown Kim stopped talking like his head was about to burst and decided this was just a normal interview. Very weird.

Now, in regards to the new content, I think it's an improvement overall. The new political vision quests are a very nice implementation and, from what I've seen, give characters who previously didn't have much to do new ways to shine. For example, in the ultralib one
buying art from Cindy, selling it to the light bending ultra rich guy for stonks and using them to buy the streetlight and having Idiot Doom Spiral as your manager and construct you an actually pretty nice monument to you (as well as at least trying to have him leave the bottle)
5kix1MJ.jpeg
All very good, makes me want to try new ones.
The new animations are a plus as well. Especially just before the credits roll, it helps give it more of a sense of closure to the whole thing. There's an entire new animation if you decide to make Harry sleep in a dumpster, too.
YkhxXY9.jpg

After reading that something cool happened if you failed the unavoidable shivers check I decided to try and do so and it is pretty damn cool

You get told to check on the children by the sea, so you do so. Afterwards it's revealed that they've somehow listened to Speedfreaks FM despite not being a single radio on the whole village - so you need to go ask the actual radio djs for info.
aNsm7eN.jpg
PCh0v0U.jpg
ng7HjbN.jpg
sGimhER.jpg
HsDDHcm.jpg
1m7ILQe.jpg

Afterwards you deduce that you need to go back to the building Ruby's hiding in, and suprisingly now there's a new check besides the shivers one to progress. Can't remember if it was a logic, conceptualization or encyclopedia one.

There are a few noticable bugs too. There were several times where voicelines didn't play out (or a muffled sound did), lines started halfway through, normal voices played in a radio conversation (which have their respective radio sounds) and with the phasmid encounter it's voicelines straight up didn't turn on on Psychological mode, I had to turn full on VO for it. I don't know why, is it supposed to show it's really just Harry talking to himself?

Overall, I'd say it's a welcomed improvement. New content is very good, but the new voice actors are a mixed bag, especially when it comes to previously stablished characters, and one might just prefer to just read instead of listen, sadly there's no actual option for that. The classic mode really should just mute the narrator altogether.
Oh, and yeah, they really shouldn't have bothered having the narrator voice the skills too. His voice is very good but also very slow and not for highly emotional characters such as the skills. I had a friend stream his (mostly blind) run and he inmediatedly switched him off. Hours later I told him to turn him on for the first big shivers check, he said "hey this is pretty good, I think I'll keep him on". 15 minutes later he turned it off again.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Does the game feel agonizingly slow to anyone else now? After each interaction, there's about five second window where your clicks don't register, as the screen slowly drags, and whatever animations have been going on finish.
This bug seems to be caused by mixing the tape for Eyck.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Help me out here. Where can you learn more about the victim, apart from Klaasje and the scab leader? Are there any more major sources of information?

Larianshill

Arbiter
lvwyvhU.jpeg

8wDYRH9.jpg
Finished the moralist quest. It's a short, but a bit magical experience. I don't think there's any notable reward for it like the Fascist quest, unless I'm missing something, which might be.
Come to think about it, I didn't get the achievement. So there's probably more to it.

Last edited:

KVVRR

Learned
Help me out here. Where can you learn more about the victim, apart from Klaasje and the scab leader? Are there any more major sources of information?
The body itself, but those two are the big ones afaik.

Just finished the communist quest. I thought it was pretty good, had some pretty good lore to accompany the pale and sorts, and the new area (more like a room) looks nice. It's weird, though, I think I had another cutscene play rather than the one it was in the trailer. I think it might vary depending on your skills.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is now a Klaasje comparison too:

The new voice has none of the mystique of the original. It feels bog-standard. Even before that though, and I'm not sure if this is an artifact of video recording, but the new voice kinda sounds like she's speaking over Discord. The mixing is definitely a bit off.

The final cut version is better. The original sounds like a bored office clerk

vota DC

Augur
After the third day, you go to sleep, and Limbic System asks you what you're doing it all for. Depending on your answer, you get a quest. To give a certain answer, you must have a corresponding political thought internalized - since I internalized Kingdom of Conscience and Revacholian Nationhood, I could choose between Fascist and Moralist quests.
Isn't advanced Race theory + wasteland of reality enough? I get alchool and drugs only if they are part of quests so always unlocked revacholian nationhood but never equipped.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
The serial number on the boots, provided that's still an option.
Finished the moralist quest. It's a short, but a bit magical experience. I don't think there's any notable reward for it like the Fascist quest, unless I'm missing something, which might be.
Come to think about it, I didn't get the achievement. So there's probably more to it.
There is a bit of variety to it, I got Noid to be my techie rather than Soona. And IDR if this was in the original game but you can convert Egghead to moralism afterwards.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Another check I've seen having the dresscode is karaoke - I assume it's from the kimono and shirt combination. I wonder what other checks have this bonus.

Don't even try to sell me this shit. There is simply good and bad voice acting.

I am not trying to, just stating my opinion. Unlike you Gnostics I do not believe that the Will can transcend demented material shackles of the human (un)reason.

Your anger appears to be an expression of your grief. You grieve the loss of the old shouty VO the same way you grieve for the loss of all that hair that Obsidian's hair people cut from the girls of Outer Worlds. The solution to grief, of course, is time and coping strategies; I cannot give you time to get over your loss, but the least I can do is fill the hole inside you.

I have hidden thirty-three ziplock bags, each containing a lock of my hair, in various nooks and crannies (and alcoves) around the globe. I will send you the geocaching code soon. Collect twenty such hair samples and you can trade them in for an anatomically-correct, life-sized effigy of myself. When you honk its nose, the entirety of Blue Oyster Cult's obscure 1988 concept album Imaginos plays in reverse. It's pretty cool.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Did they change/improve existing content? Like the confrontation and all those unpassable skill checks? Or it's just flavor text and political quests?

Deadyawn

Learned
I could learn to live with the new voices but the narrator/thoughts really kills it. Even if you set it to classic the man won't pipe the fuck down

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Got to the end of the Moralist Vision Quest.
You need to pass the check with Soona to get her onboard with the theory of the Pale expanding, after everything else. Telling them about the pale expansion in the church is the only thing that gets them to give a shit.

It's pretty cool too. It's not like the fascist vision quest where you get a new portrait, instead you get a nice big beautiful...

Bad Ending.
20210402112554-1.jpg

20210402112654-1.jpg

20210402112714-1.jpg

20210402112802-1.jpg

20210402112814-1.jpg

Guess the Moralintern doesn't want knowledge of Pale expansion in the wrong hands, looks like Klaasje is gonna have some company in the grave.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom