Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I think it's true that Disco's endgame plot gate wasn't executed well. I wonder how it could have been improved.

Perhaps the weather - a storm that reaches its peak on the day of the tribunal? Or if that's too extravagant, maybe the tides making it too dangerous to approach the island.

I don’t think that would address the core issue that some people have with the area being gated off and the mystery unsolvable until the end of the game.

If you could have gotten to the area, investigated and found clues, but with Lilianovich and his rifle nowhere to be seen (except for your sensation that someone is there, which is already in the game), that would probably be an improvement.

Hydro

Educated
I think it's true that Disco's endgame plot gate wasn't executed well. I wonder how it could have been improved.

Perhaps the weather - a storm that reaches its peak on the day of the tribunal? Or if that's too extravagant, maybe the tides making it too dangerous to approach the island.
wow, bioware should hire you

Hydro

Educated

I don’t think that would address the core issue that some people have with the area being gated off and the mystery unsolvable until the end of the game.

If you could have gotten to the area, investigated and found clues, but with Lilianovich and his rifle nowhere to be seen (except for your sensation that someone is there, which is already in the game), that would probably be an improvement.
Or they should have just allowed spergs to reach the island in no time finishing the game immediately sparing us from these dumb threads

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
the game is actually just about trying to make your homosex kipt partner die from a brain aneurysm from sheer anger at your antics.
"i did it, kim! i teleported!"

KVVRR

Learned

That'd be fun. The only problem I see with doing that is that you'd be messing up the weather system the game already had, which actually affects the dialogue and heavily affects shivers checks which so many people love.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I was annoyed with the ending - at first. Maybe a better configuration would be to make it more of a difficulty check: if you still haven't solved the murder by the time the island opens up, obvious clues are found there that point you to the murderer on the mainland. Then, you go back to the mainland and can accuse anyone you damn well please based on what you discovered during the story.

Ultimately the ending wasn't about solving the murder. It was also the other half of the story - who is that gal Harry is mourning over? That's tied up on the same island. That could have been handled better - maybe tie that one up a day earlier, and have it more based on thought closet learning. Just too much going on in the end, it kind of throws off the tempo of the endgame.

Dopparn

Barely Literate
Just finished this game.

I liked it, but it felt way too railroaded. So many characters, so many skill checks, so many quests, and so much fucking text, but in the end they never amounted to anything substantial.

You have a lot of choices but the consequences are non-existent. They didn't even bother adding end slides or something to feel what your actions actually did on Martinaise.

Also, in so many occasions I stumbled on a cool lead on the case I thought I could progress on my own, get frustrated over not finding the solution, check the wiki for the answer being "just progress the main quest and it will resolve itself". And that's basically the game, it solves itself.

ind33d

Learned
Just finished this game.

I liked it, but it felt way too railroaded. So many characters, so many skill checks, so many quests, and so much fucking text, but in the end they never amounted to anything substantial.

You have a lot of choices but the consequences are non-existent. They didn't even bother adding end slides or something to feel what your actions actually did on Martinaise.

Also, in so many occasions I stumbled on a cool lead on the case I thought I could progress on my own, get frustrated over not finding the solution, check the wiki for the answer being "just progress the main quest and it will resolve itself". And that's basically the game, it solves itself.
Numenera has a better ending than Disco and that game's third act is a Powerpoint presentation

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You guys are approaching DE like it's some game to be solved when it's really just an interactive story. :)

Harthwain

Magister
Just finished this game.

Numenera has a better ending than Disco and that game's third act is a Powerpoint presentation
You can say exactly the same thing about Planescape: Torment (the ultimate conclusion of that game is the same no matter what you do in-between). But I doubt you will find many people who think Numenera is better than Torment, even if Numenera has "a better ending".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You can say exactly the same thing about Planescape: Torment (the ultimate conclusion of that game is the same no matter what you do in-between).
There are some variations with Torment's ending.

All your companions or just Morte can be alive or not.
If Vhailor's in your party you can tell him you're the guy he's after, in which case he gets a million stat boosts because he's so angry.
You can talk TTO into giving up or kill in him combat.
If your companions are alive you get goodbye scenes, if not, straight to hell.

There are no ending slides which is what separates Torment from other RPGs with only one standard conclusion.

Harthwain

Magister
There are some variations with Torment's ending. [...] There are no ending slides which is what separates Torment from other RPGs with only one standard conclusion.
That's my point: it has only one ultimate conclusion. What happens before that (which companions live, etc.) is similar to what you can accomplish in Disco.

Last edited:

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
Just finished this game.

This is easily the biggest problem with DE, it presents itself like a non-linear storyline with lots of C&C and decisions to make, but ultimately it's extremely linear and nothing really matters all that much.

A perfect example, on my first playthrough I decided to completely ignore the optional sidequests with Evrart because he was a dick, only to find out that it's basically the only way to get your gun back. I just assumed maybe some other lead on the gun would pop up, or maybe there was an alternative path to get the gun through Joyce.

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
nothing really matters all that much
It does. People having completely unique playthroughs. I had a quest discovered only by 1.4% of Steam users. Looking up its prerequisites amazed me.

Flavored endings are for fags.
name a single side quest or section in the main story that allows for multiple solutions unique to certain character builds (you cant because it doesn't exist, the game is very linear).

It does. People having completely unique playthroughs. I had a quest discovered only by 1.4% of Steam users. Looking up its prerequisites amazed me.

name a single side quest or section in the main story that allows for multiple solutions unique to certain character builds (you cant because it doesn't exist, the game is very linear).
The entire process of examining/getting the body off of the tree, including never doing it. Character build + how you approach it + luck in dice rolls leads to many permutations.

KVVRR

Learned

There's a few but if we're not counting the vision quests as unique to an individual build (and which success heavily relies on your own stats) the first example that comes to mind is the FEND building sign. If you continue to fail the shivers check there you'll open up a path to an alternative route to figure out where Ruby is, which involves interrogating the kids in the fishing village and this very funny scene

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Or just the average Codexer's life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom