Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
As if your nose asks for permission to smell shit, or as if you could stop the rush of random trivia storming your mind during conversation. If such moments are indeed alien to the reviewer, I seriously pity her.

You know, this probably says more about me than about anyone else, but I legitimately think less of people who deny having a chaotic internal monologue. Sometimes I will ask acquaintances questions like: "do you ever act before you think - like your body moves on its own and does its thing before you even have time to process it" or "do you ever, like, disagree with yourself? Have a little conversation going on inside your head?" or "or you ever talk to yourself?" or "does the man that watches you fall asleep ever tell you to eat your nail clippings?"

More often than not they say no, I don't know what you mean, and I actually feel disappointed in them. Like they are lying to me - or rather, because they are lying to me. Fucking liars, man. Fuck.
I've heard of people who supposedly have no internal monologue and it's not very vocal so Disco might feel very alien to them.

I actually really appreciated the part where you can ask Kim about his internal monologue and he denies having one before imediatelly going back to his notes - your Empathy chimes in to tell you that's his way of sorting his thoughts.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's at least two checks that you cannot pass, no matter what. Not even if you go bulgarian
The bunker door and the shootout check I assume?

oh, no

The door and the one in the container where you fail if you try to pass and you succeed if you try to fail. I highly suspect a full set of the T-500 armour helps with the shootout
The container in the Union base? Not to spoil it for you but it opens if you pass the Rhetoric check. As for the shootout, I got the full set of T-500 armor. You can't get it before the shootout. And the armor does help in the shootout with the first shot, assuming you fail to dodge it and pass the pain threshold check.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
As if your nose asks for permission to smell shit, or as if you could stop the rush of random trivia storming your mind during conversation. If such moments are indeed alien to the reviewer, I seriously pity her.

You know, this probably says more about me than about anyone else, but I legitimately think less of people who deny having a chaotic internal monologue. Sometimes I will ask acquaintances questions like: "do you ever act before you think - like your body moves on its own and does its thing before you even have time to process it" or "do you ever, like, disagree with yourself? Have a little conversation going on inside your head?" or "or you ever talk to yourself?" or "does the man that watches you fall asleep ever tell you to eat your nail clippings?"

More often than not they say no, I don't know what you mean, and I actually feel disappointed in them. Like they are lying to me - or rather, because they are lying to me. Fucking liars, man. Fuck.
I've heard of people who supposedly have no internal monologue and it's not very vocal so Disco might feel very alien to them.
Well... The whole NPC stuff was blown out of proportion by misinterpreting a certain study poll, that stated various people have different means of internal dialogue, by having the proverbial "voices" substituted by different senses up to synasthesia and various combinations of said stimuli. I believe Disco even pays heed to that when you talk to Kim about it, and him being "oldschool". But it's not like there really are NPC IRL (excluding severe autism and brain trauma), they just might perceive it differently, but they still do.

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
dkmcYuc.jpg
This game can be quite beautiful and touching, at times. Under all that shit and misery there are good things in this world Mr. Frodo Kitsuragi.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
I've been on your side in general fluent but if you can't progress in the game without rent can you really hold this game up as allowing different choices, that's a pretty big choice you aren't allowed to make

I've been around braindead drug addicts that didn't know shit about drugs as well
This is as convincing as "But I know many black/gay/trans/commie/nazi/left/right/up/down/in/out people!"

You quoted the part that was a joke and obviously not serious, this game was touted as being 60 hours long yet people are finishing it in 20, a cop down on his luck isnt allowed to sleep anywhere but a hotel room in your game that touts all the choices to make, you and your team strike me as swindlers who got lucky, hope it doesn't run out.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
I finished it by the way. It didn't blew me away, but it's a good game for what it is. I'll voice my thoughts later.

RHETORICS: Or I won't.
LOGIC: We really should just shut our mouth sometimes and not be overcritical.
DRAMA: I think that abovedone passive check hath failed, sire.
ENDURANCE: Yes, talk aboüt Nö Trüce with ze Führers. And death to men of wö as well.

I think that what's certainly true 'bout some of the complaints here and there is that main character should be able to just sleep on the ground outside. It's so obvious that it baffles me that it isn't an option.

I've been on your side in general fluent but if you can't progress in the game without rent can you really hold this game up as allowing different choices, that's a pretty big choice you aren't allowed to make

I've been around braindead drug addicts that didn't know shit about drugs as well
This is as convincing as "But I know many black/gay/trans/commie/nazi/left/right/up/down/in/out people!"

You quoted the part that was a joke and obviously not serious, this game was touted as being 60 hours long yet people are finishing it in 20, a cop down on his luck isnt allowed to sleep anywhere but a hotel room in your game that touts all the choices to make, you and your team strike me as swindlers who got lucky, hope it doesn't run out.

Can't sleep on a bench = SCAM.

Okay then.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter

Can't sleep on a bench = SCAM.

Okay then.
game full of in depth roleplaying touted as being up to 90 hours long, is only 20 hours long, and you need to pay hotel rent or else you cant progress, because apparently you cant sleep anywhere else than a hotel for one night

if I bought the game expecting 90 hours for an indepth playthrough I would have been swindled, maybe people rushed through it, but I doubt it given the amount of people saying 20 hours

game full of in depth roleplaying touted as being up to 90 hours long, is only 20 hours long, and you need to pay hotel rent or else you cant progress, because apparently you cant sleep anywhere else than a hotel for one night

None of this makes it a product of "swindlers who got lucky." Do you understand how none of what you are saying logically follows?

The game can be finished in about 20 hours - this was the case with my playthrough and involved me deliberately ignoring side content out of LARPing, as well as circumventing sections of the main story with by passing a very hard Shivers check - which says nothing about whether or not it one can indeed spend up to 90 hours on it (or, indeed, how seriously an estimate thrown out by a dev on an informal blog post should be taken.) As for the average play time, that is impossible to determine until we get a proper argument. Surely you will not argue that if someone advertises Fallout 1 as about a 30 hour experience and I beat it in a few hours using the Military Base sequence break that those people are swindlers, right?

As for the bench, even though I agree with you that softlocks are shit, what you are basically saying is if a game promises choices it also promises you the choice to...sleep on a bench. Again, this is not the point you want to be arguing.

Please stop ok

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Holy shit, my supremacist thought research was at 76% done when I've found another way into the docks.
:shredder:

You know, exploring the city and talking to people with very mundane yet striking and believable characters reminded me of Broken Sword 1 and 2.
I'm not going into all the obvious comparisons like Torment.

I'm getting all the positive goosebumps man, nostalgia, the novelty of a completely new game design, story pacing, this game is driving me like an experienced acid-head and I'm on my first trip.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I finished it by the way. It didn't blew me away, but it's a good game for what it is. I'll voice my thoughts later.

RHETORICS: Or I won't.
LOGIC: We really should just shut our mouth sometimes and not be overcritical.
DRAMA: I think that abovedone passive check hath failed, sire.
ENDURANCE: Yes, talk aboüt Nö Trüce with ze Führers. And death to men of wö as well.

I think that what's certainly true 'bout some of the complaints here and there is that main character should be able to just sleep on the ground outside. It's so obvious that it baffles me that it isn't an option.

The main problem with that is that your partner wouldn't let you do it. So first you'd need to tell him to fuck off or at least lie that you have another place and where you spend the night. Would be definitely an improvement though and I hope Kasparov can forward this almost unanimous suggestion so it may be patched in later.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
if I bought the game expecting 90 hours for an indepth playthrough I would have been swindled, maybe people rushed through it, but I doubt it given the amount of people saying 20 hours
I don’t know what to say, man. This game might not be for you.

If I can afford to then it takes me an hour or two to rub one off. I’ve heard that some people finish a lot faster than that. I guess I enjoy to go in-depth with things.

According to Steam Spy there are tens of thousands of players grinding Disco Elysium these days. A few of them are bound to rush it (not intended as a critique. it’s their play style) and a bunch of them will be outspoken about their experience or be outright outraged about it.

A bunch will not attempt another play through. A lot will try different builds to vacuum the story and the lore.

Disco Elysium is definitely not for everyone.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
You can always go lower.

BTW, bunch of southern cucks ITT. Try sleeping outside during winter.
I've slept outside in Illinois winters and was homeless for a brief period of time, suck me off

Literally slept on frozen ground at 0 farenheit or below

Also slept in a car for weeks in Illinois and Wisconsin winter

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
BTW, bunch of southern cucks ITT. Try sleeping outside during winter.
There's a cozy boiler room readily available.

It's already taken by a girl.

So? Bumfight the men of Wo or share the means of reproduction.

This right here is a the reason why some people say that this game is not reactive enough and doesn't give player enough options.

Some are really damn obvious, like taking a shot at sleeping at the bench or abovementioned situation with the boiler room. They should be in game IMHO. And there's much more of that.

Just NOT being able to go the island before the confrontation between one fags and other fags is a criminal example.

EDIT: You could counter that with, if not with Kim, that Du Bois is a preconfigured character who wouldn't do something like that. By how would player know...?

Last edited:

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
I don’t know what to say, man. This game might not be for you.

If I can afford to then it takes me an hour or two to rub one off. I’ve heard that some people finish a lot faster than that. I guess I enjoy to go in-depth with things.

According to Steam Spy there are tens of thousands of players grinding Disco Elysium these days. A few of them are bound to rush it (not intended as a critique. it’s their play style) and a bunch of them will be outspoken about their experience or be outright outraged about it.

A bunch will not attempt another play through. A lot will try different builds to vacuum the story and the lore.

Disco Elysium is definitely not for everyone.
Literally in the hype for this game it was claimed the game was 60 to 90 hours long, I'm not sure if it was a post on the dev blog or on some website you guys did a piece on

It flatly claimed 60 hours to beat the game and 90 if you're a completionIst, if in fact the game is closer to 30 hours completionist, your team is a collection of swindlers plain and simple

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom