Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dishonored by Arkane

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Between the proto-"walking sim" Chateau DuClare level (Deus Ex) and the alternative ways of dealing with the assassination targets (Dishonored), I love how Harvey fights to keep in some of the best, unique, and/or most memorable features of his games, even if it's against the "better judgement" of the rest of the team.

7h30n

Augur
So, I finally finished this game. It took me like 3 tries to finally get going, and this time I set my expectations right -- play on most difficult setting, try to stealth and when things fail just try to survive any way possible, no saves but checkpoints. It was much more enjoyable than last time I went in expecting Thief with super power, but ultimately my original thoughts still stand.

The premise and audio visual delivery is amazing for me, but the gameplay falls apart. The levels are way too linear for me still, while stealth is basically broken and I think I've found out why -- sound design! The sound design is horrible compared to Thief, and due to that I think I actually started enjoying stealth when I started using the wallhack power (and that's first time for me to use wallhack in a stealth game). Another issue is unreliablity of guards vision, sometimes they see you above sometimes they dont, sometimes they see you behind cover far away, sometimes they don't. On the hardest difficulty these 2 issues (sound design and guard vision) are really amplified because I cannot rely on the game telling me that I'm about to get spotted, not to mention hear guard's footsteps. There is that melody that plays when about to be spotted, but often it's too late, while the initial "Huh?!" from the guards can almost go unheard (or doesn't play?).

In the end stealth boils down to use blink all the time, which makes it feel stupid a bit like that "go to cover" mechanic that was added to Splinter Cell since Conviction. Combat with gadgets though fun becomes easy while still being inconsistent. I'm now playing the DLC, and Daud's gadgets are a bit more interesting.

Does Dishonored 2 improve on the issues I had with the game?

7h30n

Augur
I definitely recommend Prey, it's at least 100x better to me than Dishonored.

Riskbreaker

I mean, you actually have to ask?
Yes, as well as the DLC - for once, it is even better than the base game.
And Prey and its DLC are absolutely worth it too.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
On sale right now. Worth it?

I guess this is a good time to buy Prey too.
Yes, and yes.

The real question is: why don't you already own every game made by Arkane?!

'Cause i'm a cheap fuck and i always wait for the definite ultimate deluxe honestthisisthelastone edition at 80% off lmao, except i then forget the games exist while i wait.

Just bought all of them, including Prey. Also bought the Doom pack as well, 48 euros altoghether. Fuck it, i just did a big clean house off my wishlist with this.

Last edited:

ferratilis

Magister
On sale right now. Worth it?

I guess this is a good time to buy Prey too.
Yes, and yes.

The real question is: why don't you already own every game made by Arkane?!

'Cause i'm a cheap fuck and i always wait for the definite ultimate deluxe honestthisisthelastone edition at 80% off lmao.
Fair enough. They're all definitely worth it, I'd even say the Arkane Collection is one of the best value packs in pc gaming. From Arx Fatalis to Prey, all of them are worth playing (multiple times).

Dishonored games are pretty good (2 has overall better level design, but doesn’t really address any of the gameplay flaws), but if you go in expecting a modernized Thief, or even really a straight stealth game, you will be sorely disappointed. I’d heartily recommend them to anyone who enjoys creative level design though.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Exclusive: Dishonored Project In The Works At Netflix
By Faith McKay | 5 seconds ago

dishonored-game-netflix-900x506.jpg

Netflix is working on building franchises. This is the next big thing for the streaming service that has proven a worthy rival to traditional Hollywood studios. They have big talent on their projects now, including writers, directors, and actors made famous at those same Hollywood studies. They’re winning Oscars. Expanding their efforts on building franchises is now one of their main goals. With properties like The Witcher doing so well on Netflix, they’re seeing a lot of growth in that area. Now, they have their eyes on their next target. We’ve exclusively learned from one of our trusted and proven inside sources that Netflix is developing a Dishonored project.

Dishonored will inevitably be a project that gets compared to The Witcher on Netflix. Both were previously video games. However, The Witcher started off as a book, so it had seen other prior adaptations. With a few Dishonored games out there, this source material is comparably slimmer. One of the more interesting things about this game being adapted for the screen is the list of voice actors who worked on the game. We were unable to learn if Netflix is looking at talking to any of those voice actors to be involved in the project. While the main character in the game, Corvo Attano, an assassin, never once spoke during the game, the side characters were notable. The list of talent involved includes John Slattery, Chloë Grace Moretz, Brad Dourif, Susan Sarandon, and Lena Headey.

The late Carrie Fisher also worked on the Dishonored game as one of the voices on the loudspeakers that announced government propaganda throughout the city. Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister on Game of Thrones) voiced the character who was taking care of Chloë Grace Moretz’s character. Moretz played the daughter of the murdered empress in the story. These two are key characters. Lena Headey has shown an interest in action stories in the past and was interested in doing voicework for the game, so she seems like she’s a top person on the list to talk to for this new Netflix project.

dishonored-2-stealth-900x503.jpg

The game’s main character, Corvo Attano, started off as the bodyguard for the empress. The story began with her murder and the kidnapping of her daughter. Corvo is then imprisoned, then freed, and becomes an assassin. Dishonored had neat gameplay in that it had a lot of freedom in the choices for players. Overall, the game was well-reviewed. Of note, however, is that negative reviews point out that Dishonored had a predictable storyline. In a game, you’ll find enough players who enjoy things well enough despite that detriment. In a movie or television series for Netflix, they’re going to have to do better.

In general, video game adaptations have a bad reputation. The movies tend to not live up to the expectations. Video games and movies or television series are such different storytelling formats. Will Dishonored be able to break the mold? The game had its own city (Dunwall) with a defined tone. It had an interesting starting premise for the story. There were interesting side characters. Our main character was designed to be simpler so that the player could see through their eyes. Netflix will likely need to do more to develop a great main character if they want Dishonored to beat the odds and be their next big franchise story.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Aaah Netflix.

So we're gonna end up with black Emily and Corvo who have a consensual incestous father-daughter relationship and the bad guy is gonna look and act exactly like Trump, also the Outsider is trans.

I wanna see Trump floating in a whale-oil-steam-powered throne lording over the masses.
Do a slick comparison of the rat infestation disease to Covid.. and have Trump ignoring the kingdoms foremost plague doctors who emphatically demand everyone be treated with amputations and leeches.

also the Outsider is trans.
funnily enough, the original voice actor of the Outsider was (allegedly) fired because his reddit username was "TrannyDestroyer".

Pfbfbfbbfbbb Source.

Lmao..
https://www.reddit.com/r/dishonored/comments/4stx6j/billy_lush_here_former_outsider/
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1312073/

Uh, can I ask what your username means? "TrannyDestroyer"?
It was my gamer tag for Xbox and PlayStation until people took issue with it. The orgin story is this: I had just gotten a xbox360 a few hours before I was going to Africa to shoot Generation Kill. So I was setting it up xboxlive, it was taking forever and I was running out of time I could use to play COD. When it came to the gamer tag creation everything I wanted was taken and I didn't want something with 4 numbers at the end. I wanted something funny and strange. At the time I lived by La Brea and Santa Monica in Hollywood and there were a bunch of Trannies that would hang out there doing... I have no idea what. So then I thought he of TrannyDestroyer because Destroyer seemed like a fear inducing online name. The rest is history. (I don't have those gamer tags anymore)

Last edited:

alighieri

Educated
Dishonored games are pretty good (2 has overall better level design, but doesn’t really address any of the gameplay flaws), but if you go in expecting a modernized Thief, or even really a straight stealth game, you will be sorely disappointed. I’d heartily recommend them to anyone who enjoys creative level design though.

I think you can play Dishonored as a really straight stealth game, can't you? At least I remember playing it like a stealth game and having fun with it.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

I think you can play Dishonored as a really straight stealth game, can't you? At least I remember playing it like a stealth game and having fun with it.
You can, but that sort of implies (for most people, anyway) reloading if you break stealth. Plus, Dishonored is a really fun shooter/first person... slasher? as well, so the general consensus (that doesn't include everyone, of course) seems to be that the "best way to play(TM)" is to try for stealth, but go balls-out if you get discovered.

Personally, I've replayed both 1 in all three ways - full ghost, stealth but fight it out if necessary, and fight all the way, zero stealth - and played 2 in both full ghost and "stealth, but no reloads on a fuckup" and I do feel it's the most fun when you play it with stealth but let it unwind into action if shit hits the fan.

TripJack

Hedonist
you can but since your character is stronger and deadlier than pretty much all of the enemies there's not much reason to

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
you can but since your character is stronger and deadlier than pretty much all of the enemies there's not much reason to

All the interesting mechanics benefit just maiming and slaughtering too. Basically what <3sRichardSimmons Said.

Your stealth tools are basically.. Double Jump and Teleport. AKA Stealth by skipping the whole map.

And yea.. you can basically genocide the entire level by sprinting around stabbing - so what's the point.

vota DC

Augur
I finished Dishonored 1. Didn't kill anyone (two traitors were poisoned because their own struggle of Power at the ending despite low Chaos), even Campbell despite being a dick Is saved from plague so not being a priest anymore means he can have children and we will have Bruce Campbell that can save the world from undead.

Gameplay was fun, you can't choose factions and have fixed missione and It won't fit otherwise anyway (Hi Hiram, I will help you tracking loyalist that fight you despite you framed me and wanted to execute me) but the method how to reach your target and solve the mission Is recognized and tracked by the game so choices matter.

Will try ooga booga me kill me smash another time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom