Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divine Divinity is the best shit game I have ever played

catfood

AGAIN
So I have FINALLY managed to beat it after more than a month. Fuck, this game is so shitty.

The character system is shit. Skills are divied into two sperate and distinct categories: the ones that are so good you'd be retarded not to put points in, and the ones that are so bad you'd be retarded to even spend a single point in. Oh, yeah, there's the oddball skills just like Diablo 2 where putting one point in them is a must, but putting any more is a a complete waste. I finished the at about level 48 with an excess of 10+ skill points. Terrible.

The combat is shit. Just hold down the attack button and win. Oh sure, sometimes you might meet a boss and might need to pause the game and drink a healing potion, but most of the time it's "hold down ctrl to autolock on the nearest traget and keep the left mouse button pressed to win". Almost as bad as Diablo.

The encounter design is shit. Basically there is none. The areas are populated with a set number of critters. That's it. You either mow through them like a hot knife through butter, or they rape your ass and it means you have to move to another area. And those fucking last to areas man. What a pointless time sink those were. You are given two HUGE maps and what to the developers do with them? Add some nice quests, NPC's, or towns? Nope. Just copy paste groups of creatures everywhere and you're done. Yay! Game design must be so easy! Anyone can do it!

but despite that...

I've had so much fun with this game.

Because despite the fact that the bad parts are BAD, the good parts are also GOOD.

The first map is great, depite it's repetitive encounter design. It has a buttload of quests, a ton of NPC's, lots and lots of secrets and quirks, good writing with a great sense of humour, lots of stuffto see and explore and collect, the ability to interract with the environment, move objects around and to mix potions. This first area of the game reminded me of an isometric Morrowind.

I see myself replaying it after some time has passed, but I don't see myself finishing it due to the shittines of the last portion of the game. I have not finished all the quests and I chose not to use a walkthrough so I can have some new things to do when I play it again. My only regret is that I was never been able to find Otho and his pigs. :(

I'm really excited about Divinity Original Sin. If they add all of the good things from DD and try and minimize the bad (honestly I'm not that bummed about the fucked up character system, but that idiotic encounter "design" has to go) it could turn out a future Codex classic.

Captain Shrek

:bro:

I finished it once and since since then I have been afraid of trying it out again.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I could never progress that far due to how crappy I found the skill system to be. It's a shame since I loved the world design, quest design and music. Everything else clicked well together. Now that I think of it, Divinity 2 suffered from an equally lame skill system.. and had the same strengths as well.

Captain Shrek

Dude I was so put off by Divine divinity I still can't try beyond divinity even after getting it for FREE on Greenman gaming.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I had fun playing Divine Divinity, although I wouldn't play it a second time. Captain Shrek is absolutely right not to touch Beyond Divinity. I regret playing to its completion, as the narrator is one of your two characters and sounds like a parody of the Ultimate Warrior. Seriously, the worst part of Beyond Divinity was the horrible voice acting followed by the predictable railroad of a plot.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
dditem.jpg

Looks exactly like Diablo. Wouldn't Blizzard flip their shit and sue over this?

I played this and remember the camera angle/view being incredibly ugly, so I never got further than the cellar thing you start in lol. For some reason, it never looked like the google image screenshots did :C

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Since I play now all RPGs I should play in past but didn't I will try this shit after Jade Empire and Realms of Arcania 3 and Deus Ex 1 bought from GOG. Heck I almost completed Inquisitor and this game had terrible combat made by Evil Demons and Heretics no doubt.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I never got further than the cellar thing you start in lol.
Same here. Looked ugly and while I would gladly welcome many X-Com or Wizardry clones, there's only enough room for one Diablo in my heart.

TheNizzo

Educated
This and Two Worlds are absolute shit but really fun to break

Rpgsaurus Rex

It's damn fun early and mid-way in the same way the Gothic games were fun. Getting your ass kicked by wandering off a few steps in the wrong direction. Getting one-shot by a monster in the starter (!) dungeon. HUGE gameworld, tons of quests with a good dose of C&C, tons of stuff to kill and loot to plunder.

Then it sort of becomes too easy when you reach the mid-20s (in the same way the Gothics became too easy once you passed a certain power threshold), or meta-game (which you can easily avoid), but until then it's 100% five-star RPG fun time.

DraQ

Arcane
The combat is shit. Just hold down the attack button and win. Oh sure, sometimes you might meet a boss and might need to pause the game and drink a healing potion, but most of the time it's "hold down ctrl to autolock on the nearest traget and keep the left mouse button pressed to win". Almost as bad as Diablo.
Why do people keep saying "Diablo" when they really mean "Diablo 2"?
:hmmm:
but despite that...

I've had so much fun with this game.

(...)

The first map is great, depite it's repetitive encounter design. It has a buttload of quests, a ton of NPC's, lots and lots of secrets and quirks, good writing with a great sense of humour
Time to play Divinity 2 if you haven't already.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Looked ugly

Personally, I thought Divine Divinity had one of the prettiest, even if simple, 2d sprite graphics around. The water ripples and reflections, the hand-drawn detail put into minuscule things, fog. Add to that the ability to interact with the world you can't in most 2d games, a decent music score, exploration, quests and you have a great gem in your hands.

Divine_Divinity_Shopkeeper_Market2.jpg

Then take that gem and chip away the shit skill system and repetitive combat and you'll have a flawed gem of a game.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
If it was like that, then i would've had absolutely no problems. Maybe I fucked up the resolution or something.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I also think Arcanum looks ugly. I hate the sprites in both games and the scenery is pretty bland. It's totally personal though, "ugly or not" is nothing but a matter of taste.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I also think Arcanum looks ugly. I hate the sprites in both games and the scenery is pretty bland. It's totally personal though, "ugly or not" is nothing but a matter of taste.

I'd definitely give it another try if I were you man. The game definitely has its charm, the whole graphics/art especially on-the-ground thing looks like it was done with love and attention *cringe* but it's true. The starting dungeon is definitely an abomination art-wise though, you have to persevere there somehow.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Personally I think it's one of the better looking games from that time period and has aged extremely well.

Tigranes

Arcane
DD is a pretty good looking game, sort of like a weird mix of Arcanum and Diablo 1 (and bits of 2). A later example is Eschalon, that one is more Vogelian.

No way I'll ever go back and replay this, it's not a very good game, but it was very very fun when I did play it the first time. :mystary:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've reached about the halfway point of this game back in them days, but later lost my save and could not gather the courage to try again. Not yet anyway.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The game is very fun if you avoid the neverending shit combat. I gave up on combat after slaying the millionth orc - hex edited my char, and ran past every mob that wasn't a must.
The endgame (everything after the big council event) is also quite shit - just end the game right there.

I expect Original Sin to be a quasi-remake. With it being turn-based, there will hopefully be less trash combat too (wouldn't bet on it, however).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom