Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divine Divinity is the best shit game I have ever played

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is there any way to make the font/interface scale (besides lowering the resolution)? Some of the text is really fucking tiny at 1920x1200.

Stabbey

Learned
I don't think so, it is an older game, and I recall Larian being reluctant about adding font scaling to D:OS (I think they eventually found a way to do it, though).

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I made it to Verdistis but I think I'll stop there. Yes, the world is huge and oddly charming. But the combat, the tiny sight radius and the inventory clusterfuck are really getting on my nerves now. An Enhanced Edition would've been nice.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I am replaying this at the moment, just as a trip down memory lane. Still great fun.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Interesting Larian would make a (fairly) new trailer for this game

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
byDJCv5.jpg

Interesting? Not at all.

Great game though.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
It has been that way about every isometric 3D game i've played. Can't remember a single one, where i would say that their graphical engine's looks surpasses those of the pixel era, let alone be great. I also hate the camera rotating/zooming shit that always seem to get in the way of every 3D iso game. They just never get it right.

Old One

Arcane
I've started this recently and I must say I find it quite charming. Oh sure, there are plenty of things to criticize if you want to, but overall it's surprising and fun.

One thing I like is that you really feel like you're battling an entire organization of evildoers rather than a single malevolent being. The Sack String have agents everywhere, and you never know who or what they'll be, and they don't always follow orders.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Another new Larian fan here. OP is totally right, DD is good shit. Still feels fresh and new, more than D:OS. Also kind of a beast in terms of technical requirements, barely playable on my run-of-the-mill laptop; fortunately it runs in wine on my good linux box.

Reminds me in so many ways of an indie ARPG I did some engine work on. That got cancelled; like DD it was extremely ambitious and unlike DD we didn't have the resources to build out the world and storylines. Making smaller games now, but after playing DD I really want to make a game like that someday.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I bought it when it came it and didn't install. Chucked in the bin.

Bought it again when it came out on something called White Label, discount.

I might still have that box or the CDs. But, didn't play.

Now have installed it on Steam and going through the first village.

Music is lovely. Amazing. I like the funny accents when the little people talk their lines sometimes.

I must be mad, normally I just read and click through it, sometimes not even read at all.

Now I find myself enjoying it. What has happened to me?

I like that there must be 1,000 quirks in the game that you might never find out.

I like the interaction with the environment. For example dropping a magic mirror into the water or even moving boxes around to see what if anything is hidden underneath.

Even liked reading those words on the grave stones.

Some graphical problems as I am playing on a laptop but enjoying sticking the headphones in and Bam! There I am.

Cadmus

Arcane
I bought it when it came it and didn't install. Chucked in the bin.

Bought it again when it came out on something called White Label, discount.

I might still have that box or the CDs. But, didn't play.

Now have installed it on Steam and going through the first village.

Music is lovely. Amazing. I like the funny accents when the little people talk their lines sometimes.

I must be mad, normally I just read and click through it, sometimes not even read at all.

Now I find myself enjoying it. What has happened to me?

I like that there must be 1,000 quirks in the game that you might never find out.

I like the interaction with the environment. For example dropping a magic mirror into the water or even moving boxes around to see what if anything is hidden underneath.

Even liked reading those words on the grave stones.

Some graphical problems as I am playing on a laptop but enjoying sticking the headphones in and Bam! There I am.
It's really a great shit game, man. It's got the atmosphere, the soul. If it sang blues, you'd listen. I gotta replay it one day. Don't read any game mechanics discussions or any spoilers at all, there's thousand ways to fuck it up.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Oh, yeah, there's the oddball skills just like Diablo 2 where putting one point in them is a must, but putting any more is a a complete waste.

I fucking hate it when games do this.

Most annoying game design choice ever.

Yeah, skill balance is probably one of the poorest areas in DD. Swen mentioned it as one of the reasons he was disappointed in the game on his blog or the Larian forums a while ago, IIRC.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
If point-and-click hack-and-slash games had perfectly balanced skill systems, they'd be boring as all fuck inasmuch as character progression was concerned. Either give me a find-the-best-skills meta game or give me something completely different like Diablo 3.

If point-and-click hack-and-slash games had perfectly balanced skill systems, they'd be boring as all fuck inasmuch as character progression was concerned. Either give me a find-the-best-skills meta game or give me something completely different like Diablo 3.

Sure, I'd go as far as to say that the imbalance doesn't hurt DD much at all, despite it being the most objectively (to the extent that the developers themselves said so) flawed part of the game. It is kind of ironic that Swen was hung up over it despite the fact that DD was, IMHO, a more memorable game than D:OS (though that might be due to nostalgia).

Booger

Educated
Also kind of a beast in terms of technical requirements, barely playable on my run-of-the-mill laptop; fortunately it runs in wine on my good linux box.

IIRC the performance problems vanish if you play it in software mode instead of Direct3D

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The amount of detail that went into the world is staggering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom