Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #2: Stretch Goals

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know if MCA could fulfill the required silliness quota needed for all Larian witters.

He wrote Old World Blues. I'm sure he'd fit right in.

Arkeus

Arcane
Please, they got enough money so that they're now getting full VA (for console peasants, because I didn't see many people who played it on PC complaining about the lack of VAs) but still decided to shit on the stretchgoal that was achieved.
Plebes over people who funded your game = no monies.
They got enough moneys after having sold the game for months... to do a Enhanced Edition they give for free to anyone who already has the game.

While they actually did the game with the kickstarter money, they had to go deep in debts to actually release it.

Black

Arcane
That's neat, but where does that excuse the "full VA instead of delivering what we promised and what people actually gave money for" problem?

Arkeus

Arcane
That's neat, but where does that excuse the "full VA instead of delivering what we promised and what people actually gave money for" problem?
Because they couldn't do "what people gave money for" when realising the game unless they cut most features, and for the EE we actually do not know what they have put in (though I am almost sure that they didn't do those things, but instead concentrentated on increasin the game's strength and consolidating the endgame, which is much, much better than wasting time and money on a cute feature).

Black

Arcane
Yes, so much better to just forget about the morons who actually made the game happen.

Drowed

Arcane
I will have to agree with Black. There's no excuse.

The question isn't whether the end result is good or bad (I particularly liked the game a lot). The issue is the breach of trust. Larian promised that the game would have a certain thing, and it doesn't have it. The information offered by them later explains why that happened, but it doesn't justify it. You can think: "well, it's good enough for me" - and okay, it's your prerogative. But it doesn't change the fact that no matter how charismatic that Swen is, no matter how fun D:OS is, a promise was broken. He "sold a product" that didn't have the advertised features, and he has no intention to correct this problem. (And I won't even get into the issue of the Linux port here.) Of course people will be annoyed by it, to say the least. It would be strange -and worrying- if that didn't happen.

I like D:OS. I want D:OS2 to be the best game possible, and I hope that Larian continues launching several new games in the future. But from the consumer point of view, its attitude is indefensible.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It sure worked out great for Obsidian when they delivered on all their Kickstarter promises.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like I said, of all the oldschool RPG developers, Larian are the ones most likely to "go casual". Luckily for them, they're also the ones who are least reliant on nostalgia, so they're probably going to get away with it.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Like I said, of all the oldschool RPG developers, Larian are the ones most likely to "go casual". Luckily for them, they're also the ones who are least reliant on nostalgia, so they're probably going to get away with it.
You have no idea how Swen is do you? :lol:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Day/night cycles for NPC add nothing to the game, and it is a waste of resources. They should focus that time and money on gameplay, systems, story and music.

weresheeple

Educated
Yeah, I never found that stretch goal particularly enticing to begin with. I am sure a lot of people didn't back to get that stretch goal in particular, but just to get their reward and add to the development budget in general.

Maybe, in hindsight, some more people wished for schedules to have at least some periods without "many cheeses".

Mustawd

Agree here. People tend to forget the fact they they've been perfectly willing to make a good share of action-centric RPGs. Their heart might be in the right place, but they definitely want to be a big name (aka mainstream) in the RPG market.

SniperHF

Arcane
Agree here. People tend to forget the fact they they've been perfectly willing to make a good share of action-centric RPGs. Their heart might be in the right place, but they definitely want to be a big name (aka mainstream) in the RPG market.

But they also started down the turn based,over head view, party based road well before the Kickstarter craze and subsequent CRPG rennisanse. That's not exactly the decision (in 2011ish even more so) made by someone looking to go super casual.

Mass appeal art, multiplayer, game systems that support derping around on twitch, and controller support? Sure. But on the whole the core functions of the game have trended :obviously:. Even with a greater multiplayer emphasis in 2, the biggest game changer in the sequel seems to be your character choices in background and race that impact on dialog. That again doesn't really strike me as a casual feature. A choice you make at the very beginning of the game potentially affecting your gameplay. Jury is still out on the overall effect of it but you can see the intent.

Their apparent love for all things gamepad is annoying as fuck but most of the "casual" stuff out of Larian isn't that significant.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You have no idea how Swen is do you? :lol:

Regardless of how Swen is, D:OS 2's team is almost as large as Skyrim's. Making concessions to attract a wider audience is inevitable.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Day/night cycles for NPC add nothing to the game, and it is a waste of resources. They should focus that time and money on gameplay, systems, story and music.

Every single second spent on writing that stupid romance shit adds nothing of any value at all to the game and is a gigantic waist of time, of which they could be using that time to better enhance the story and setting.

We all know what the game greatly suffered from, and it sure as shit wasn't because it needed shit romance garbage...

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
With four player co-op, I'm hoping for real life romance options via paper, rock, scissors.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Every single second spent on writing that stupid romance shit adds nothing of any value at all to the game and is a gigantic waist of time, of which they could be using that time to better enhance the story and setting.

We all know what the game greatly suffered from, and it sure as shit wasn't because it needed shit romance garbage...
Yeah, that too.

Kz3r0

Arcane
backers
$1,000,161
pledged of $500,000
days to go

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom