Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Released

Hellion

Arcane
https://www.pcgamesn.com/divinity-o...y-original-sin-2-steam-launch-record-breaking

Divinity: Original Sin 2 has sold nearly 500k copies, with 85k concurrents

Update, September 18: Divinity: Original Sin 2 continues to succeed, jumping to nearly 500,000 copies sold over the weekend.

Divinity: Original Sin 2’s release has begun incredibly strongly, with Larian’s old-school RPG racing to just under half a million copies in just four days. For comparison, the first Divinity game didn’t hit those numbers until at least a couple of months after release.

Numbers that high (the game peaked at just under 86,000 concurrent players) have meant that Larian’s servers have struggled a little to keep up with demand, but in an interview with Eurogamer, Larian’s owner Swen Vincke says they should be “up and running again soon.”

The first patch for Divinity: Original Sin 2 is due later this week.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Also, this excellent post by MRY is relevant: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...venture-game-renaissance.115818/#post-5157943

In essence, the desire to do something WAY COOLER AND BETTER THAN THAN THE THINGS I DID IN THE PAST can also be a pitfall for creative types.

Right on. I know a developer who spent a decade trying to make an epic sequel to his debut rpg. Hasn't released anything but a few casual adventures in all that time. Mistake #1 was sticking with his comfortable old dev platform as it was becoming obsolete; the project languished for a few years, then he had to start over. Mistake #2 was designing too big a world, complete with friggin' expansion packs. Mistake #3 was going to the opposite extreme and starting over again, instead of downsizing to fit his capacity to produce content. Mistake #4 was going slow, allowing his vision and technology to stagnate, thus repeating the cycle of reinvention.

These mistakes come naturally to indie developers who aren't 100% financially committed to their projects, who won't get fired or go bankrupt if they fail to release their games on schedule. (Contrast that with Sven Vincke, running a company with rents & salaries to pay, who's flirted with bankruptcy more than once. That's what it takes to get things done.)

Few developers realize that all they have to do is make a competent game that looks half-decent, doesn't crash all the time, and is fun enough for the price. And get people to buy it.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
So having finished Act 1 I've found that tanking (in the sense that you have guys that take the majority of damage) in this game doesn't really exist. The AI will try to focus down your guys that are the weakest, and it's actually pretty damn hard to stop them as they use the same skills that your party can. Unless you are playing solo or want to make ALL your characters tanks, it seems almost useless to take Retribution and Perseverance. With a full four man party the optimal strategy so far as been to have a party focused on stripping armor off (either physical or magical, not both) and CC'ing everything in sight. With heavy CC you don't need to spend points in CON or defensive attributes.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nah if you take care of positioning and distances, their melee guys will either have to run way too far to do anything, or they'll stay and fight your tank. That's how it works for me so far at least. Of course sometimes I just take advantage of the "move the rest of the party while the one character is discussing with the leader enemy" option

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Not really true at all. Teleport, zone creation and taking down armor to CC more people before focusing on kills lets you tank pretty effectively and Retribution is preeeetty good

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I just received my collector's edition. And it's the best one I've received from any kickstarter. Really great production value, from the box to the figurine. Two real book-sized books (art + lore) with hundreds of pages and an embossed cover (and so much to read). A strong box that's well protected for transport. A readable map. And the box turns into a GM screen. Very well done Larian. Very well done!

Also the game is great and is exactly what was promised!

Have a look, inXile, that's how you treat people that supported you. [still butthurt about TTON]

Darkzone

Arcane
I just received my collector's edition. And it's the best one I've received from any kickstarter. Really great production value, from the box to the figurine. Two real book-sized books (art + lore) with hundreds of pages and an embossed cover (and so much to read). A strong box that's well protected for transport. A readable map. And the box turns into a GM screen. Very well done Larian. Very well done!

Also the game is great and is exactly what was promised! Have a look, inXile, that's how you treat people that supported you. [still butthurt about TTON]
Still waiting for my DOS2 KS CE edition. And i don't know if i should open it because i'm out of display space and it probably will have a high value in few years especially original package and unopened. Btw. i'm also butthurt about TTON.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom