Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies, already approaching profitability

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good for you Larian.
So, D:OS budget was roughly the same as InXile's budget for W2 ? :retarded:

Belgium, stronk, Murica, weak.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good for you Larian.

That seems unlikely to me. Just in terms of time spent in development, including Larian creating their own proprietary engine in that time, it doesn't make much sense.

How are developer salaries in Belgium compared to Southern California?

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
They are paid in waffles.

I don't find it impossible to believe. Larian is a lot more experienced.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good for you Larian.

That seems unlikely to me. Just in terms of time spent in development, including Larian creating their own proprietary engine, it just doesn't make much sense.

I think Swen mentionned how much one of their developper costs for one year in one of his blog posts. Can't remember the figure, though. Maybe something like 80k euros ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good for you Larian.

That seems unlikely to me. Just in terms of time spent in development, including Larian creating their own proprietary engine, it just doesn't make much sense.

I think Swen mentionned how much one of their developper costs for one year in one of his blog posts. Can't remember the figure, though. Maybe something like 80k euros ?

Can't find that, but here's something else: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/05/larian-on-near-closure-divinitys-future-gender-parity/

Swen said:
The financial side, actually, surprisingly, is the least interesting part of it. Obviously it helps, but it’s not sufficient to drive forward a team of 40 people for so many months. If you do a quick calculation – this is very underestimated – let’s say 5,000 euros for 40 people, that’s 200,000 euros, which gives you five months of work for a million euros. Or even less, more like four months of work. You obviously can’t do that. But the advantages in QA, the advantages from word of mouth, are worth their weight in gold.

Perkel

Arcane
Belgium i think has better wages than US pretaxes and nessesites. Also if you compare EU to US wages you need to adjust that EU wages are post tax post hiden tax. In EU for example health insurance is in your wages same as retirement and other shit in US it is arbitrary depending on who you are working for and what your insurance plan is. So for example US dev getting 100k yearly can be actually lower than EU dev getting 75k yearly

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good for you Larian.

About 91% of Wasteland II's budget, buttttttt in development for almost twice as long (four years to what should be inXile's two and a half).

Ramireza

Savant
Good for you Larian.

This proves once more that InXile are untalented wannabe gamedesigners.

Darkzone

Arcane
Very good news, that validates my opinion about D:OS, Larian and Swen.
While the Kickstarter was running, i have predicted 200k sales, later i have doubled the number, and today i can even think off 600k-700k sales, if not more. I don't know if Larian can acquire Ultima license, because EA holds currently this brand. And i think Garriott would be the first in line for the rights. But, perhaps if Swen talks to Brian. Then can Brian (because of his connections) try to convince EA, to give Larian the rights to Ultima.

Cyberarmy
For Arcanum it is the best, if Obsidian would uses this license, for a sequel. Ohh Darksun or a similar world would be fantastic.

Davaris
Yes i strongly agree, with your statement. All the way. And now it pays off, for Larian.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
While the Kickstarter was running, i have predicted 200k sales, later i have doubled the number, and today i can even think off 600k-700k sales, if not more. I don't know if Larian can acquire Ultima license, because EA holds currently this brand. And i think Garriott would be the first in line for the rights. But, perhaps if Swen talks to Brian. Then can Brian (because of his connections) try to convince EA, to give Larian the rights to Ultima.

Cyberarmy
For Arcanum it is the best, if Obsidian would uses this license, for a sequel. Ohh Darksun or a similar world would be fantastic.

Davaris
Yes i strongly agree, with your statement. All the way. And now it pays off, for Larian.

This is the era of spiritual successors. The old licenses are tied up in development hell.

Perkel

Arcane

If TW1 can sell 1mln+ then i don't see how Larian will have problems with selling this game above 1mln.

Outmind

Augur
They have a zippy C++ engine and their art was made to suit the kind of game they were making. So it runs on low end machines and looks great, which means a huge potential audience. It was a professional job all the way.

Can confirm. My 7 yo rust bucket runs it with ease.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
LoL @ Ultima and Gothic licenses. They will never get Ultima license unless they pry it from EA's dying hands, or overpay for it so the game won't be worth making any more.

Although if I were to guess, Ultima was the license they were trying to get, as mentioned in the article.

As for the Gothic license, they neither need it nor (probably) want it, not to mention Gothic games being a compeltely different type of RPG. Larian probably do not want to go back to the single-char TPP ARPG style, and I don't want them to that either.

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
sadly the game can barely run on my HP 630 even with 800x600 i have like 15 FPS max

:(

sser

Arcane
Developer
I wonder if those numbers include buying the two copy bundles.

D:OS was one of the few Kickstarters I knew would be good upon seeing it. That said, the game has blown me away. It's massive, the engine is amazing even on my shitty laptop, and there's a lot of charm in the writing without it being overbearing a la most indie-crazed RPGs/adventure games.

Larian has set a pretty high bar for the rest of the Kickstarter RPG-projects to look up to, IMO.

Darkzone

Arcane
Perkel this was the lower end estimate of the sales numbers at the full price (over $30). It can sell well over 2 Million times, but probably not for the full price. And i'm glad for every sale they make, because i have my fun with D:OS and Larian's kickstarter.

http://forum.vbulletin-germany.com/misc.php?s=ce4e49a1bb40a1a7160e78721fed5fa2&do=bbcode#quote
Morality Games said:
This is the era of spiritual successors. The old licenses are tied up in development hell.http://forum.vbulletin-germany.com/misc.php?s=ce4e49a1bb40a1a7160e78721fed5fa2&do=bbcode#quote
http://forum.vbulletin-germany.com/misc.php?s=ce4e49a1bb40a1a7160e78721fed5fa2&do=bbcode#quote
Yes that is true. But Brain has a hand for resurrecting things in a way or another.
Attention: I didn't say if it is good or not, and not if the product is good or bad.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't know if there's a serious chance of EA relinquishing their grip on Ultima, but it's certainly more likely today than it was two years ago.

I don't know if there's a serious chance of EA relinquishing their grip on Ultima, but it's certainly more likely today than it was two years ago.

Not sure I see that. EA almost certainly resents the growth and success of these indie RPGs as impediments to inflating the value of their own in-house RPG studio, as if more were needed on top of their own institutional shortcomings.

Besides, none of the executive personnel at EA are willing to be responsible if they sell a long dormant franchise and a business rival turns it into the next Skyrim. The shareholders will be out for blood. It's what we call a "career ending move."

sser

Arcane
Developer

Isn't EA actually developing some kind of mobile/MMO type Ultima right now? I don't really follow licensing talk that much, but I know it has some relation to Ultima, maybe it's a... uh, "spiritual" relation.

Edit: Though now that I think about it they could go the M&M-franchise way, making various type of genre games off one brand.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Not sure I see that. EA almost certainly resents the growth and success of these indie RPGs as impediments to inflating the value of their own in-house RPG studio, as if more were needed on top of their own institutional shortcomings.

Besides, none of the executive personnel at EA are willing to be responsible if they sell a long dormant franchise and a business rival turns it into the next Skyrim. The shareholders will be out for blood. It's what we call a "career ending move."

Who said anything about selling? I meant licensing it to an external developer (like Larian).

Isn't EA actually developing some kind of mobile/MMO type Ultima right now? I don't really follow licensing talk that much, but I know it has some relation to Ultima, maybe it's a... uh, "spiritual" relation.

You're out of date. That was released a while ago on iOS, then bombed: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...unt-ultimas-corpse.74084/page-34#post-3268915

The developer has since been shut down: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/mythic-entertainment-is-dead.91971/

Now is a good time for a change.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom