Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies, already approaching profitability

Darkzone

Arcane
sser said:
Larian has set a pretty high bar for the rest of the Kickstarter RPG-projects to look up to, IMO.
Larian has a very good chance to become the next Kickstarter love child.

Infinitron said:
Who said anything about selling? I meant licensing it to an external developer (like Larian).
Todo this would be probably very good for this franchise and for EA.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't know if there's a serious chance of EA relinquishing their grip on Ultima, but it's certainly more likely today than it was two years ago.

Not sure I see that. EA almost certainly resents the growth and success of these indie RPGs as impediments to inflating the value of their own in-house RPG studio, as if more were needed on top of their own institutional shortcomings.

Besides, none of the executive personnel at EA are willing to be responsible if they sell a long dormant franchise and a business rival turns it into the next Skyrim. The shareholders will be out for blood. It's what we call a "career ending move."

Who said anything about selling? I meant licensing it to an external developer (like Larian).

They tried to make an Ultima game in-house. It bombed. Might be a good time for a change.

I think the sweet spot for cooperation has passed.

Perkel

Arcane
Why the fuck people want to even get Ultima license in first place ? There is nothing interesting about ultima lore nor it represents anything more that RPG in which you can make bread and shit like that. Name also doesn't matter anymore beside few neckbeards and whole britania needs you thing is cringe worthy now.

Now Arcanum license would be actually amazing to get.

BUT

I think Larian just needs new world from ground up. Divinity is already tied to funny fantasy RPG where with new IP they could create more serious game with better story to rival Obsidian and that doesn't mean Divinity needs to die. They can release them back to back.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Clearly Larian is after the Wheel of Time license. Obsidian did nothing with it anyways.

Athelas

Arcane
Why the fuck people want to even get Ultima license in first place ? There is nothing interesting about ultima lore nor it represents anything more that RPG in which you can make bread and shit like that. Name also doesn't matter anymore beside few neckbeards and whole britania needs you thing is cringe worthy now.
Uhm...money? Just name-dropping an oldschool franchise can get you millions, as many of the succesful Kickstarters have shown.

Perkel

Arcane
Uhm...money? Just name-dropping an oldschool franchise can get you millions, as many of the succesful Kickstarters have shown.

Why they need to namedrop Ultima ? Even EA knows Ultima name doesn't sell jack shit coppies anymore. Ultima as brand is dead

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Awesome! Congrats to Larian for their success, and I hope there are many more to come. :thumbsup:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jesus Steam gets 30%? I didn't know it was that high.

But pretty low compared to brick-and-mortar retail, which is what all these devs are used to. I'm sure they're quite happy with it. GOG takes the same, btw.

Repressed Homosexual
Why would they care about getting another license, the Divinity world with the clever dialogue and awesome British voice acting is more than fine enough as it is for countless other games and it is 100% theirs.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good for them. This game has some fucking legs, and I'm blown away so far. Shadowrun was a cheap facsimile tugging on my dic... nostalgia strings. Even if they executed in a timely manner, and it was enjoyable for what it was. This game might actually sit side by side with the greats though.

Perkel

Arcane
But pretty low compared to brick-and-mortar retail, which is what all these devs are used to. I'm sure they're quite happy with it. GOG takes the same, btw.

You also need to count taxes. I doubt they are getting even 60% from each coppy

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Couple of days after launch and it's still on top in Steam! :incline:

0azQ9t1.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, the DLC appeared on the GOG page, maybe this means that the game is patched as well. Could someone tell me what is the version number of the Steam version right now?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Are you implying there is some other way to sell games where you don't have to pay taxes?

Traditionally, game devs made approximately $12 from a $60 game, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZWaBnpSvUk#t=1151

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Why would they care about getting another license, the Divinity world with the clever dialogue and awesome British voice acting is more than fine enough as it is for countless other games and it is 100% theirs.
Agreed. The setting suits them to a T, and they can still go in whatever direction they want with it. I have absolutely no interest in the Ultima setting and I don't see what other licenses they could bring their own clever humour and good-hearted charm to in the same way.

Plus, I spent 60 hours chasing Damian and only got to beat up his dead girlfriend, I've been waiting three years to get even with him by now :argh:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Biggest reason I did not support their kickstarter was my disappointment in Dragon Commander. Very nice to see this apparently turned out pretty damn well.

The D:OS campaign was before the Dragon Commander fiasco.

It's ok to be cheap but don't try to lie about it.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Are you implying there is some other way to sell games where you don't have to pay taxes?

Traditionally, game devs made approximately $12 from a $60 game, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZWaBnpSvUk#t=1151

A lot of that isn't applicable to online sales thanks to expedited distribution and production offered by a digital service. Also worth noting that taxes apply to Larian's "profit", not to the price tag of their game.

That is, Valve gets $12 of each $40 sale and then Larian gets a "35%" tax out of their $28 share.

That's a lot less odious than losing 75% out of the core sale. A difference of $10 profit to a $16 profit.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A lot of that isn't applicable to online sales thanks to expedited distribution and production offered by a digital service.
What? That's the whole point of the slide.
Also worth noting that taxes apply to Larian's "profit", not to the price tag of their game.

That is, Valve gets $12 of each $40 sale and then Larian gets a "35%" tax out of their $28 share.

That's a lot less odious than losing 75% out of the core sale.
Thanks for explaining basic concepts to me. Of course it doesn't actually work that way. First Larian gets to deduct expenses ie the 4+ million development cost of the game.

A lot of that isn't applicable to online sales thanks to expedited distribution and production offered by a digital service.
What? That's the whole point of the slide.
Also worth noting that taxes apply to Larian's "profit", not to the price tag of their game.

That's a lot less odious than losing 75% out of the core sale.
Thanks for explaining basic concepts to me. Of course it doesn't actually work that way. First Larian gets to deduct expenses ie the 4+ million development cost of the game.

Feisty, aren't we? I don't think anything I said excluded that contingency, so I'm not sure why you've taken the tone of a counter argument.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom