Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #4: Singleplayer Video, Story Feature, New Rewards

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
ymXk4rI.png
I believe Swen meant PC/NPC reactions in his post. You won't actually be able to play with two male / two female party. At the moment all NPC dialogues are gender-independent, but they want to change that so NPCs recognize characters' gender and adjust their lines accordingly.

I may be wrong, but that's what I understood by tracking various infosources for this game (which has reached stalking level rcently).

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I believe Swen meant PC/NPC reactions in his post. You won't actually be able to play with two male / two female party. At the moment all NPC dialogues are gender-independent, but they want to change that so NPCs recognize characters' gender and adjust their lines accordingly.

I may be wrong, but that's what I understood by tracking various infosources for this game (which has reached stalking level rcently).
Recognising the female character as a male character is like playing a male character, no?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Recognising the female character as a male character is like playing a male character, no?
Um... what?
I think You misunderstood me.
Currently NPCs don't recognize the PCs gender at all. Larian wants to implement this feature if they reach their funding goal. At least that's what I think based on various previews that I've read and watched. Maybe ForkTong can explain if that's the case.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
Um... what?
I think You misunderstood me.
Currently NPCs don't recognize the PCs gender at all. Larian wants to implement this feature if they reach their funding goal. At least that's what I think based on various previews that I've read and watched. Maybe ForkTong can explain if that's the case.
How does that cater for man/man and woman/woman?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I may be wrong

EDIT: Allowing male/female only party would make a rather big departure from the current story (I think a large part of the plot is based on the two established player characters), and recognizing male PC as a female player or the other way around wouldn't make much sense to me.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
I may be wrong

EDIT: Allowing male/female only party would make a rather big departure from the current story (I think a large part of the plot is based on the two established player characters), and recognizing male PC as a female player or the other way around wouldn't make much sense to me.
How important is their gender to their biography?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
So far, their gender (young man and young woman) has been mentioned in every single lore piece released, so I'd say, pretty important.

Severian Silk

Game looks visually very good. Except for the paths, buildings, etc appearing so spacious and wide. A result of the game needing a rotatable 3D camera I guess. Drop-in-drop-out multiplayer is intriguing. I wonder how that will end up. Third-grade "Larian trademark humor" and other eurodouchebaggery are not what I consider funny. This is one difference between DOS and Torment/PE, and it's a big one.

Verdict: Probably won't buy because of the general tone of the videos and dorky devs, and despite the combat mechanics seeming OK.

[edit]

I may reconsider if there are some good third-party modules made for it.
Dear Sir, please remove yourself from the premises right into the Outer Space!
In Larian's defense, I don't recall there being any particularly cringeworthy humor in Div1 (the only game of theirs I've played).

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
So far, their gender (young man and young woman) has been mentioned in every single lore piece released, so I'd say, pretty important.
Swen posted an update on this in the meantime:

2DYEG0q.png

So likely whatever story Larian has planned never depended much on the gender of the main characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom