Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #4: Singleplayer Video, Story Feature, New Rewards

Kem0sabe

Arcane
That's not the moathouse but the tower ruin. Otherwise the poster sucks, he could have let Lareth join him and have him tortured by the guys in Homlet to just save his ass later on. By then the temple dudes in the tower would be friendly, Lareth himself becoming a shop with some neat stuff.

Just some random ToEE pic i took from the web, but i always end up killing Lareth also, so there's that *shrug*

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
She's so well protected...and that bullheaded belt. It's like an older 30 year old dating a younger woman in medieval time - dating in dungeons. And that rambunctious shoulderpads.
All it needs is a snakeheaded loincloth.
Mmmmmmmmhhhhh hnhhhgggh.
Actually you will be able to play with two girls or two dudes too

ymXk4rI.png

Problem, misogynerds? /Roguey

She's so well protected...and that bullheaded belt. It's like an older 30 year old dating a younger woman in medieval time - dating in dungeons. And that rambunctious shoulderpads.
Mmmmmmmmhhhhh hnhhhgggh.

ymXk4rI.png

:decline:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Mmm. I think I understand. You want the character to make the choices and not the user? Unfortunately it doesn't look like this will be a simulationist game. Certainly more LARP.
Well, yes, but more like "making choices of what to do, based on what a character can do". It's not like i am very disappointed about this. A fun, coop, turn-based LARP? I am all in. It's just not a "dream RPG" by any means then...

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Mmmmmmmmhhhhh hnhhhgggh.

ymXk4rI.png

Meh, waste of money, that's one of the problems with Kickstarter, devs need to stick know when to listen and not to listen to feedback. If this isn't something they wanted to do initially, i'm just not interested, there are way worthier stretch goals than this.

Next they'll be pandering to the people wanting to play dressup (cosmetic character creation fags).

Edit; For the record I blame LARPERs, they're all in the same tent.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I don't see that as waste of money. If they do it with any kind of depth it adds to roleplaying options.

Zeriel

Arcane
Eh, I can see the argument for it. If you're playing with a pal in co-op who doesn't want to do the default male/female setup, it only makes sense for the game to reflect that.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I don't see that as waste of money. If they do it with any kind of depth it adds to roleplaying options.

Why not just add more roleplaying options and reactivity then? If this girl/girl, guy/guy thing is done in any meaningful way it increases the writing in a manner that is exponential, the change will be largely cosmetic and in fact inhibit reactiviy (atleast imo). Like I said for people that want cosmetic differences to LARP, not real reactiivity in the game (consider the stage development is at as well, there isn't stacks of time).

Edit; This is the sort of thing that should be added in by mods later on, not the devs, they've got way more important things to pin down.

Captain Shrek

There are way better and tasteful ways of adding 'reactivity'. Why not start with background traits a la Arcanum?

Lancehead

Liturgist

Why not just add more roleplaying options and reactivity then? If this girl/girl, guy/guy thing is done in any meaningful way it increases the writing in a manner that is exponential, the change will be largely cosmetic and in fact inhibit reactiviy (atleast imo). Like I said for people that want cosmetic differences to LARP, not real reactiivity in the game (consider the stage development is at as well, there isn't stacks of time).

Edit; This is the sort of thing that should be added in by mods later on, not the devs, they've got way more important things to pin down.

My point is if they make it more than just cosmetic. Of course it'd be extra work, but if Larian think they can do it properly (also including their humour in writing) and get enough funding for it, then it may not be a waste of money.

There are way better and tasteful ways of adding 'reactivity'. Why not start with background traits a la Arcanum?

Sure, you can have gender related traits too, as Arcanum did.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't want to LARP a woman because I can't and I'm not handing over conversation to the AI (have they even mentioned if the AI will follow different algorithmic scripts that you choose ahead of time?). I'd be very pleased if both are male.

Western

Arcane

My point is if they make it more than just cosmetic. Of course it'd be extra work, but if Larian think they can do it properly and get enough funding for it, then it may not be a waste of money.

Sure, you can have gender related traits too, as Arcanum did.

I don't get this, they can write twice the amount of dialogue for existing quests to give you reactivity for the 2 extra combinations (2 guys or 2 girls), and throw in some extra quests for each to try and make it look like the differences aren't just cosmetic OR, they could invest all that time and effort into reactivity, extra dialogue and quests for the existing game as it is. I certainly know which I think is the bigger payoff, modders can take care of that 2 girs, 2 guys thing.

Western

Arcane
I don't want to LARP a woman because I can't and I'm not handing over conversation to the AI (have they even mentioned if the AI will follow different algorithmic scripts that you choose ahead of time?). I'd be very pleased if both are male.

If one of the male characters is gay (and effeminate) and one of the female characters is gay (and butch), so the dialogues don't have to be changed and the devs can focus on important shit, i'm all for it :smug:

Zeriel

Arcane
Incidentally, Larian has never done romance in their games as a feature. I really, really doubt that the male/female pairing is going to be a Bioware-style romance.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I don't get this, they can write twice the amount of dialogue for existing quests to give you reactivity for the 2 extra combinations (2 guys or 2 girls), and throw in some extra quests for each to try and make it look like the differences aren't just cosmetic OR, they could invest all that time and effort into reactivity, extra dialogue and quests for the existing game as it is. I certainly know which I think is the bigger payoff, modders can take care of that 2 girs, 2 guys thing.

You're misrepresenting what I'm saying. I'm not making a choice of which is better, I'm saying that particular choice may not be a waste of money.

I'm not sure why you think it'd increase the amount of dialogue two-fold. They're not going to make every quest play out differently based on gender. They could instead of spend that extra money on increasing reactivity that is not gender related, spend it on increasing reactivity that is gender related. So to me, it really comes down to whether or not one likes such type of reactivity. Personally I'm fine with it, and in fact with either of them.

Zeriel

Arcane
Incidentally, Larian has never done romance in their games as a feature. I really, really doubt that the male/female pairing is going to be a Bioware-style romance.

Hopefully the will just REALLY be only friends. :smug:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some "romantic" flavor to their relationship if you pick all the nicey-nicey answers, but what I mean is I don't think people should expect much from it, it's just an incidental note. Larian's games are very much still games, not the dating sims that Bioware enjoys making. Hell, in Ego Draconis you could switch your sex at any time, and it was purely aesthetic.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's all good and dandy IF Larian will be able do this in right way and not compromise other stuff... If they're not it will be another Biowhore crap.... And I thought both Heroes were important for story as the God created them.

Western

Arcane

You're misrepresenting what I'm saying. I'm not making a choice of which is better, I'm saying that particular choice may not be a waste of money.

I'm not sure why you think it'd increase the amount of dialogue two-fold. They're not going to make every quest play out differently based on gender. They could instead of spend that extra money on increasing reactivity that is not gender related, spend it on increasing reactivity that is gender related. So to me, it really comes down to whether or not one likes such type of reactivity. Personally I'm fine with it, and in fact with either of them.

Two-fold = hyperbole, i'm saying it's not a good investment time wise (as their time and resources are limited due to their window of release) if there is going to be significant reactiivity because of this change, considering what they could be doing otherwise.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
There was a parody of a romance quest in Divine Divinity, in the Elf village. The Divine even references it in the opening cutscene of Flames of Vengeance.

Zeriel

Arcane
There was a parody of a romance quest in Divine Divinity, in the Elf village. The Divine even references it in the opening cutscene of Flames of Vengeance.

I remember that being trolly as fuck. Game is like, "Hey, guy. You like romances? :troll:"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom