Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #4: Singleplayer Video, Story Feature, New Rewards

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
inb4 draq and autist brethren

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
The problem is that Grids make it easier to identify during tactics what you can do. cm's are difficult to judge.

True. Previews of range, cone width, AoE radius... should fix that. Grids limit the artists and designers in creating the world.
Would it be possible to display a hazy/translucent ruler (OPTIONALLY inb4 no spoiling the scene) with small grids from your current position to a given point on the map?
Ohhhh... Like a radar. Could be spiffy.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
toee.jpg

As long as the combat is as good as the above, then i couldn't care less if it has a grid or not (square or hexagonal).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have some fond memories from that moathouse.
And some rather traumatic ones, too.

EDIT: Not the moathouse, it seems. Figures.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Like what? Pyramid thing is fine, but you don't really think it's totally awesome RPG-wise? If they aim more for adventure like solutions (finding keys to the backdoor, throwing your pyramid into the window etc.) i am fine with that. But like i said, there is a difference between a fun coop game and a great RPG.

...but... they showed in-dialog stat-checks with NPCs. They showed social skills, they showed finesse skills (lockpicking), they showed item-based solutions like the pyramid sneak-in, they showed just flat out using your head solutions like having one character distract while another sneaks in...

I donno dude, it seems to have what ToEE or the IE games have, maybe not in the same exact system/method but from what I've seen, it will allow for as many interactions/resolutions as those games as well as just gameplay based ones like distracting/teleporting/etc.

I guess in the future when they show dialog only high INT chars have or Planescape like "catch the pick pocket's hand through dialog if you have enough DEX" reactions you might see what you want.
ToEE had some nice checks, thanks to 3.5 D&D. I want more or less that. IE, on the other hand, were mosty picking the right lines and assembling the right items. There were no skills to check (class/stats checks are not enough). So if it's more like ToEE - that would be great.

I did not play any of the Divinities. Now the guys want to make their "dream RPG" - and that sounds ambiguous to me. Stats AND skills checks in dialogs/items/machinery/etc. is a must for an RPG for me. That is why i want to see less buckets and brooms and more of reactivity (based on what your character is allowed to do according to his skills). Otherwise it is an adventure with tactical combat and crafting. Which will be still awesome to play, but they should clarify this.

Also where did you see them picking a lock? I must have missed it. Which video was it?

Murk

Arcane
There was not a video of lock-picking but every game they've made up to this point has had lockpicking and I see no reason to not have it in this one as well.

I believe this game will be the most RPGish of their games so far, not only because of the turn based combat. I suppose we'll have to wait and see for more sill/stat checks but I am confident they will be good. Maybe not GREAT, but good. If you're expecting D&D 3.5 style system/stat based interaction I believe you will be disappointed -- but I do not doubt for a second that it will be a legitimate RPG that isn't a hybrid of some kind.

If diplomacy/bluff type of stuff is handled with a stat-check instead of a skill-check, that's fine with me -- that's how 2.0 AD&D did it and I got no problem with it, and D:OS has already shown in dialog stat checks for intimidation and charisma; so really the only thing left to show is some thieving abilities like sneak, backstab, blah blah.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Like what? Pyramid thing is fine, but you don't really think it's totally awesome RPG-wise? If they aim more for adventure like solutions (finding keys to the backdoor, throwing your pyramid into the window etc.) i am fine with that. But like i said, there is a difference between a fun coop game and a great RPG.

...but... they showed in-dialog stat-checks with NPCs. They showed social skills, they showed finesse skills (lockpicking), they showed item-based solutions like the pyramid sneak-in, they showed just flat out using your head solutions like having one character distract while another sneaks in...

I donno dude, it seems to have what ToEE or the IE games have, maybe not in the same exact system/method but from what I've seen, it will allow for as many interactions/resolutions as those games as well as just gameplay based ones like distracting/teleporting/etc.

I guess in the future when they show dialog only high INT chars have or Planescape like "catch the pick pocket's hand through dialog if you have enough DEX" reactions you might see what you want.
ToEE had some nice checks, thanks to 3.5 D&D. I want more or less that. IE, on the other hand, were mosty picking the right lines and assembling the right items. There were no skills to check (class/stats checks are not enough). So if it's more like ToEE - that would be great.

I did not play any of the Divinities. Now the guys want to make their "dream RPG" - and that sounds ambiguous to me. Stats AND skills checks in dialogs/items/machinery/etc. is a must for an RPG for me. That is why i want to see less buckets and brooms and more of reactivity (based on what your character is allowed to do according to his skills). Otherwise it is an adventure with tactical combat and crafting. Which will be still awesome to play, but they should clarify this.

Also where did you see them picking a lock? I must have missed it. Which video was it?
Mmm. I think I understand. You want the character to make the choices and not the user? Unfortunately it doesn't look like this will be a simulationist game. Certainly more LARP.

Hegel

Arcane
That's not the moathouse but the tower ruin. Otherwise the poster sucks, he could have let Lareth join him and have him tortured by the guys in Homlet to just save his ass later on. By then the temple dudes in the tower would be friendly, Lareth himself becoming a shop with some neat stuff.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd just wanted to let you know.

From Matt Barton's facebook:
I'm interviewing these guys tomorrow, so give me questions if you got'em. I have to say, after watching their update videos I'm really excited to get to meet these guys. Their videos are hilarious, and the game looks fantastic.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
She's so well protected...and that bullheaded belt. It's like an older 30 year old dating a younger woman in medieval time - dating in dungeons. And that rambunctious shoulderpads.
All it needs is a snakeheaded loincloth.
Mmmmmmmmhhhhh hnhhhgggh.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
She's so well protected...and that bullheaded belt. It's like an older 30 year old dating a younger woman in medieval time - dating in dungeons. And that rambunctious shoulderpads.
Mmmmmmmmhhhhh hnhhhgggh.

Bro matching shoulderpads on opposite sides are like the fantasy equivalent of those derpy couples' tshirts.

Rtk1sQJ.jpg

RK47

Patron
:desu: Kawaaaiiiii- Kirito-senpai, protect me, OK?

Yes

*girl takes damage, rage bar for protector warrior goes full*

tumblr_ma5idx6Yr21rwuhxso1_500.gif

DeepOcean

Arcane
Did Swen said something about the mercenaries being able to use magic and special abilities? I watched the KS videos and only saw the main characters using spells and didn't found anything about this on the FAQs.

Zeriel

Arcane
In terms of the story, people who are able to use source magic are supposed to be special. But in terms of the engine, I'm almost certain it would be changeable in modules since there are enemy source wizards, for example. No idea what they're doing for their campaign, though.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mmmmmmmmhhhhh hnhhhgggh.

If this will get Sawyer Rougey and other Faminazis mad I am fine this those... You want to Realism? No wymyn adventurers (aside from bards, witches and rogues) :troll:

RK47

Patron
yeah, cancelled my backing due to terrible poster art.
what were they thinking. Look at those two closely; they'r HOLDING EACH OTHER"S HANDS! WHAT IS THIS SHIT.

catfood

AGAIN
Yeah man its's almost like they're hetero or something I mean what the fuck right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom