Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #4: Singleplayer Video, Story Feature, New Rewards

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Even the intimidation or charisma check in dialog with the guard when they teleport?

Seems pretty typical of the usual "stat check" -- and stats are used against the two PCs as well when one disagrees with the other regarding what to do, like when they return to the guards after investigating the guard tower.

Isn't that basically what you meant? Stat-based skill/ability use with NPCs and with PCs. That's how tabletop RPGs work.
Well i was aware of those. But 1. seems like a coop dialog gimmick and i am not convinced that those [STR] or [CHA] checks for loosing the guards are used on a greater scale, that is why i need an example. What i meant with skill based interaction is: a Quest where multiple solutions are possible (sneak/pickpocket, persuade, fight, etc.).

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Not "literature"-"quality" of writing and plot, because we aren't try-hard 'highbrow' storyfags here, right?

No he was talking about quality writing and plot, and we ARE storyfags
tNG6r.gif

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Game looks visually very good. Except for the paths, buildings, etc appearing so spacious and wide. A result of the game needing a rotatable 3D camera I guess. Drop-in-drop-out multiplayer is intriguing. I wonder how that will end up. Third-grade "Larian trademark humor" and other eurodouchebaggery are not what I consider funny. This is one difference between DOS and Torment/PE, and it's a big one.

Verdict: Probably won't buy because of the general tone of the videos and dorky devs, and despite the combat mechanics seeming OK.

[edit]

I may reconsider if there are some good third-party modules made for it.
You should fucking hang yourself.

Murk

Arcane
Isn't that basically what you meant? Stat-based skill/ability use with NPCs and with PCs. That's how tabletop RPGs work.
Well i was aware of those. But 1. seems like a coop dialog gimmick and i am not convinced that those [STR] or [CHA] checks for loosing the guards are used on a greater scale, that is why i need an example. What i meant with skill based interaction is: a Quest where multiple solutions are possible (sneak/pickpocket, persuade, fight, etc.).

This was used in Divinity 1 -- it wasn't "go into sneak mode, walkin" -- but rather finding keys to go in through the back door, or lockpicking, or teleporting in; and to a lesser extent an example was given in Original Sin like using the pyramid to sneak into a person's house -- or having one of the characters distract people while the other goes in unseen.

Donno man... there's stat-based interaction between and within groups, multiple solutions, blah blah -- I think the examples are there but maybe they're just not appealing to you?

I'm more curious how things like skepticism or faith play a role and if they can be used to help/hinder you. Like say if you have a lot of faith maybe you're more susceptible to certain spells, or if you're skeptical your own use of voodoo dolls/magic is weaker.

Arkeus

Arcane
I'm more curious how things like skepticism or faith play a role and if they can be used to help/hinder you. Like say if you have a lot of faith maybe you're more susceptible to certain spells, or if you're skeptical your own use of voodoo dolls/magic is weaker.
My first thought was that it was useful as boosters for persuasion checks, but actually it being something like Arcanum could make sense.

Murk

Arcane
Yea, a multi dimensional aptitude that's influenced by the relationship between the two characters? Fucking legit, and is a very neat way to simulate the buddy-cop dynamic of each others' personalities having real effects on the characters. Like the shy guy who learns to be brave and saves the day (boost to skill check, or something).

Fuck... I hope =(

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Still on vacation and taking a break from writing my article about my visit to Larian (which should hopefully be done by next week) but I just popped in to write that the game is still in alpha and what they are doing now is building the world. Story isn't implemented and much of the text is just placeholders. There are some walls of texts here and there which are more developed and kinda "final" but those may change as well. Actually most of what you see, like animations, are just placeholders, so if something doesn't appear very pleasing it is very likely that it'll be replaced later. As for the story it's likely that it'll be the usual Larian fare with lots of humour and silliness. That might not be what most people want but at least it won't be as pompous as, say, Dragon Age.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I expect nothing more or less from Larian, tongue in cheek and mostly mild fare, which is fine with me. Worst thing they can do is try too hard to be outright funny and go overboard, which happened in couple sections of Div2. But then, some people here seem to think Frayed Knights is funny, so maybe that works for others.

I would up my pledge from $25 (+$5 Codex) but just can't afford it right now. I figure that's OK, I'm a lot more ambivalent about Dragon Commander given Div2's terrible, terrible dragon combat...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Dragon Commander is shaping up to be fine. I have much much more to say on the subject but that's for another time.

A user named cat

Can you at least tell us if you hugged Sven before leaving and thanked him for such incline?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Not quite but I told him that you need to take risks to achieve great things and they should continue doing that.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012

This was used in Divinity 1 -- it wasn't "go into sneak mode, walkin" -- but rather finding keys to go in through the back door, or lockpicking, or teleporting in; and to a lesser extent an example was given in Original Sin like using the pyramid to sneak into a person's house -- or having one of the characters distract people while the other goes in unseen.

Donno man... there's stat-based interaction between and within groups, multiple solutions, blah blah -- I think the examples are there but maybe they're just not appealing to you?
Like what? Pyramid thing is fine, but you don't really think it's totally awesome RPG-wise? If they aim more for adventure like solutions (finding keys to the backdoor, throwing your pyramid into the window etc.) i am fine with that. But like i said, there is a difference between a fun coop game and a great RPG.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Best example i can come with is Wasteland 2, remember when a lot of the fans started bitching about the keyword system and proposing alternatives, Inxile went along and changed the system to included fully phrased sentences for each keyword, that's the kind of interaction i was referring to.
Wait what? They changed that? Fuck this shit.

Murk

Arcane
Like what? Pyramid thing is fine, but you don't really think it's totally awesome RPG-wise? If they aim more for adventure like solutions (finding keys to the backdoor, throwing your pyramid into the window etc.) i am fine with that. But like i said, there is a difference between a fun coop game and a great RPG.

...but... they showed in-dialog stat-checks with NPCs. They showed social skills, they showed finesse skills (lockpicking), they showed item-based solutions like the pyramid sneak-in, they showed just flat out using your head solutions like having one character distract while another sneaks in...

I donno dude, it seems to have what ToEE or the IE games have, maybe not in the same exact system/method but from what I've seen, it will allow for as many interactions/resolutions as those games as well as just gameplay based ones like distracting/teleporting/etc.

I guess in the future when they show dialog only high INT chars have or Planescape like "catch the pick pocket's hand through dialog if you have enough DEX" reactions you might see what you want.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
AoE = radius expressed in centimeters. (When you use an AoE spell, you get a preview.) Same with weapon ranges and magic ranges.
Monster sizes? If you mean, the bigger ones can't go through certain doors and such: yes.

But still based off an action point system right? the distance you move is 1:1 cost in terms of action points? does terrain type matter?

Yes, still AP based. So for instance, you can move x centimeters per AP (I think this is currently like 1 meter. Increases as your speed stat increases.) Terrain type does not matter for movement.

Captain Shrek

AoE = radius expressed in centimeters. (When you use an AoE spell, you get a preview.) Same with weapon ranges and magic ranges.
Monster sizes? If you mean, the bigger ones can't go through certain doors and such: yes.

The problem is that Grids make it easier to identify during tactics what you can do. cm's are difficult to judge.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
The game is Ultima inspired so... I'm not really getting where you're going with this. Both the world and the NPCs seem to be open to different exploitations. What more would you want in terms of reactivity?

Best example i can come with is Wasteland 2, remember when a lot of the fans started bitching about the keyword system and proposing alternatives, Inxile went along and changed the system to included fully phrased sentences for each keyword, that's the kind of interaction i was referring to.
Wait what? They changed that? Fuck this shit.
They didn't. Now if you HOVER over the keyword you see the full sentence. The keyword system is still there.
Bah. That's okay, but still don't like it. Hopefully you can turn off that particular tooltip.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
The problem is that Grids make it easier to identify during tactics what you can do. cm's are difficult to judge.

True. Previews of range, cone width, AoE radius... should fix that. Grids limit the artists and designers in creating the world.

Murk

Arcane
So pretty much how ToEE did it then? That's fine with me. It made judging placement a bit difficult (did your party really block off the entrance or can an enemy run by) but it worked out fine. Better than arbitrary squares I would say.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So pretty much how ToEE did it then? That's fine with me. It made judging placement a bit difficult (did your party really block off the entrance or can an enemy run by) but it worked out fine. Better than arbitrary squares I would say.
Square grids are much inferior to hex grids, which in turn are a pain for modelling the terrain, so I say: good griddance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom