Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
They need to make an update soon.

Zep--

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most KS games don't publish updates every couple of weeks, so 'need' is not the right word here.
It would certainly be more than welcome, but if they want to focus on making the actual game instead of making videos about making the game, let them.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Most KS games don't publish updates every couple of weeks, so 'need' is not the right word here.
It would certainly be more than welcome, but if they want to focus on making the actual game instead of making videos about making the game, let them.

Well, I'm in the Alpha tier, so I'd like to know how that's going (release date/delayed/etc...). Supposed to be out this "summer". So a little over 20 days left of summer.

Zep--

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, you can always ask Larian about that on their official forums.

My bet is they will announce a delay right before the summer ends. ;)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, I'm in the Alpha tier, so I'd like to know how that's going (release date/delayed/etc...). Supposed to be out this "summer". So a little over 20 days left of summer.

Zep--

From the fanday: yes, it's still the plan to release the alpha this summer (technically summer lasts until September 21st). It might be a tweaked build they have used during the kickstarter campaign or a different build. Nothing is set in stone. The month delay on the release of Dragon Commander has put a setback on DOS, but their attention is now completely on DOS. So expect to hear an update soon.

Also, the game is still to be released this winter. Originally in November, but as Dragon Commander was late add a month to that for the earliest release date, so December 2013.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

Zep--

From the fanday: yes, it's still the plan to release the alpha this summer (technically summer lasts until September 21st). It might be a tweaked build they have used during the kickstarter campaign or a different build. Nothing is set in stone. The month delay on the release of Dragon Commander has put a setback on DOS, but their attention is now completely on DOS. So expect to hear an update soon.

Also, the game is still to be released this winter. Originally in November, but as Dragon Commander was late add a month to that for the earliest release date, so December 2013.

Well, that's hearsay from a Larian forum poster, not official news as far as I know. I started that thread there, no official response. Thought maybe ForkTong may be watching here and chime in.

Zep--

Gord

Arcane
I wouldn't mind a delay that much if the game profits from it. Never really counted on a 2013 release anyway, after they made all the stretchgoals.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hope they don't need that much time because I already want to play the game - it looks delicious.

Tigranes

Arcane
Seeing how Dragon Commander went, I hope they can afford to polish the game. I really like Larian and Vincke, but I can't imagine it sold as much as they hoped - I always worried they put too much faith in its sales.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
That's a very good point, Tigranes! It's kind of like CCP wasting (in my opinion) a lot of resources on Dust 514 - which pretty much no-one cares about - instead of WoD. DC probably wasn't a complete flop, but definitely not a huge success, either. Obviously I'm biased in the sense that I'd like more companies to focus on RPGs - I share your hope that DC possibly underselling Larian's expectations won't hurt the development of D:OS.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, that's hearsay from a Larian forum poster, not official news as far as I know. I started that thread there, no official response. Thought maybe ForkTong may be watching here and chime in.

Zep--
It was official news to everyone who attended Larian's fan day. +M

sser

Arcane
Developer
Seeing how Dragon Commander went, I hope they can afford to polish the game. I really like Larian and Vincke, but I can't imagine it sold as much as they hoped - I always worried they put too much faith in its sales.

Completely agree. I was surprised how much weight they'd put behind DC. The real-time genre is not as strong as it used to be and we've already seen a number of experimental games come and go already.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron

Completely agree. I was surprised how much weight they'd put behind DC. The real-time genre is not as strong as it used to be and we've already seen a number of experimental games come and go already.
D:OS development is being funded by Kickstarter money.

Of course there is a possiblity that Larian was counting on some income from DC sales to extend the development of D:OS and polish it beyond the impossible, but I would assume that they can just release the game earlier, cutting away the unfinished parts (leaving them for an expansion?) if they fail to generate enough funds.

Also, ForkTong claimed that the DC sales are as expected, or a little above that.

Tigranes

Arcane

D:OS development is being funded by Kickstarter money.

Of course there is a possiblity that Larian was counting on some income from DC sales to extend the development of D:OS and polish it beyond the impossible, but I would assume that they can just release the game earlier, cutting away the unfinished parts (leaving them for an expansion?) if they fail to generate enough funds.

Also, ForkTong claimed that the DC sales are as expected, or a little above that.

We all know that, but we all know also that video game budgets and scope go over (see: Dragon Commander), especially for teams like Larian. I'm glad to hear however that their own sales expectations were met.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
A new blog post from Swen, not really about Original Sin. But still very interesting: http://www.lar.net/2013/09/18/an-important-lesson/#more-875

Choice quote:

For Dragon Commander, at present digital sales make up 85% of our revenu and retail only represents 15%. If you take into account that the digital lifecycle of a game is a lot longer than its retail counterpart, and also a bit more profitable, then numbers like this tell the entire picture – if you have to choose where to put your effort, put it in the digital side. The mistake I made was that I had our studio do pretty much the opposite of that, for all the wrong reasons. As a consequence, a large portion of our publishing investments were done in the retail side of things and that automatically meant that certain digital opportunities were lost, because obviously, we couldn’t do everything. That wasn’t such a clever move.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Summer's days away from ending. Looks like they're reneging on their "alpha before summer's out" promise. Sounds like they have a real mess to deal with, as expected.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Summer's days away from ending. Looks like they're reneging on their "alpha before summer's out" promise. Sounds like they have a real mess to deal with, as expected.
Still bugged about the dwarven princess, Roguey?

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
If only Roguey were our project manager. He would fix it all, cause we have no idea what we're doing. Update next week.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If only Roguey were our project manager. He would fix it all, cause we have no idea what we're doing. Update next week.
Unfortunately, Roguey is a SHE. This might explain a lot of thing, excuse her.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom