Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Update #47
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/643240

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/643240
Silverglen, Method to the madness, Learn Russian, Font check, Shout out!

Why do RPGs take so much time to develop? And how do you try to quantify the quality of what you are making? These and other questions are things developers like ourselves often think about, but seldom agree upon. That's because the answer to these questions is very complex, and cannot be summarised easily. In this latest update, we reflect a bit on on the metier of making RPGs. And we do a shoutout! And we want you all to learn Russian! And we found back a cool movie! And you need to tell us what you think of our new font. And there's also another Larian-leak, through which it is revealed that there exists such a place as Silverglen!

The implicit revelation of Silverglen
It happens from time to time, more than often in fact, that the implementation of a quest takes much more time than a designer originally anticipated. Typical reasons are the game engine not supporting everything the designer wants to do or there being much more possibilities that need to be handled than originally assumed.

In this latest update video, Bert, our resident scripting guru, explains how Björn and Mara's problems caused him multiple headaches, and how regular exercise, healthy food and a strict lifestyle helped him through this particularly difficult period in his life.

He also discloses one of our closest guarded secrets - the existence of ... Silverglen!

Method to the madness
Swen updated his blog today, explaining what he thinks is important in role playing games. It shouldn't come as a surprise that he cares a lot about character development - really a lot! So much in fact that he considers everything else to be subservient to it when it comes to making RPGs. He somehow managed to drag in Ultima VII too, again.
"And so it came to be that my youthful self invented the FUME paradigm, a pattern against which one can evaluate the likelyhood of Swen falling in love with a RPG, or not. If it scores low on the FUME scale, statements you can expect from me include such gems as “it sucks” or “that shouldn’t have been made”

If you want to know what makes Swen fall in love, check it out. It's not hard to see how universal appliance of his rules would lead to better RPGs, but it's also not hard to see why universal appliance of these rules is pretty hard :)

Font check!
It's that time of the year again - we need to make final decisions about our fonts! Thomas has been diligently testing out various fonts on unsuspecting bunnies (see from the archives) and tell us that the following font is good for our eyes. While judging, take into account that it is none other than Jan writing the dialogue - meaning, expect many many many lines. Let us know if it's too big, too small, too ugly, too whatever, for once decided, it's going to stay for a very very long time.

Whatdoyouthinkabouthisfonteh?

From the archives
The last game we made that featured two main protagonists was Beyond Divinity, and though we're pretty sure DOS is going to be a vastly superior game, Beyond Divinity spawned some great ideas that even led to some pretty impressive fan efforts. Check out this gem about the special soul forge relationship between a divine paladin and a very surprising death knight.

Does it have anything to do with DOS? No, but we thought Plowking's movie deserved another mention, because it really is cool. And don't worry - there is no soul forge between our two protagonists. Far be it from us to pull the same stunt twice. We figured out a fate far worse for our two heroes ;)

Last edited:

Stabbey

Learned
That new dialogue window looks really nice. (Font size should go up a bit, but it looks nice.)

Also, the character portraits on the left - note there is no longer a mana bar. They're moving from to a cooldown-based magic system. A cooldown-based system does seem strange for a game using turn-based combat... but it does simplify balancing and make it easier for non-mage classes to better-use magic to support their abilities.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ah Stabbey I know you have me ignored but cooldowns were always part of the design. :) I remember seeing the icons for it way back when.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they decided to copy Shadowrun Returns, with its cooldown-only-based-magic with an HP penalty if you want to break it.

Xeon

Augur
Roguey said:
Ah Stabbey I know you have me ignored but cooldowns were always part of the design. :) I remember seeing the icons for it way back when.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they decided to copy Shadowrun Returns, with its cooldown-only-based-magic with an HP penalty if you want to break it.

Stabbey

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Last time I mentioned cooldown-based skills half the codex went full holocaust on me. Mana is stewpid, breaks pacing and forces system abuses. Kewldown is the present.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I'd like to see some font size options myself, Stabbey..I'm old and it's just a tad to small. To lazy to post on their poll tho :)

Zep--

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Someone's on a drunk-posting spree.

But yes it made me quite happy to see I had managed to annoy our resident Larian fanboy enough with my criticisms to become the only person on his ignore list.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Aw, I'm not that drunk. :P You can't really deny you're a JS wannabe anyway.

I did find it pretty surprising Stabbey's even ignoring someone, though. I guess you can count it for a success, you Codex troll, you.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I wonder that too. Some investors, who want to check the state of the game before greenlighting the alpha backer release?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
To be honest, right now I'm more excited about the editor than the game itself. I feel like playing it now will be too spoiler-ish, rather just derp with the editor and play it when released.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I hope we get some VLPs ASAP since I don't trust any impressions from someone dedicated enough to Larian to pay so much extra for alpha access. Since the release date is a non-negotiable February 28, that means the gold master has to be finished by late-January/early-Feb, giving them about two more months for tweaking and polishing. If it's extraordinarily bad that wouldn't be enough time to turn it around. :)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
To be honest, right now I'm more excited about the editor than the game itself. I feel like playing it now will be too spoiler-ish, rather just derp with the editor and play it when released.
Same here. If the editor is available in alpha (not confirmed), I am truly hoping I will be able to buy alpha access through Larian Vault, as my tier does not have it. If not, I will have to resort to piracy, and I'd rather not, especially with Larian.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hope we get some VLPs ASAP since I don't trust any impressions from someone dedicated enough to Larian to pay so much extra for alpha access. Since the release date is a non-negotiable February 28, that means the gold master has to be finished by late-January/early-Feb, giving them about two more months for tweaking and polishing. If it's extraordinarily bad that wouldn't be enough time to turn it around. :)

I'm very much rooting for Larian to succeed, but it would'nt prevent me to say it if I thought the game was actually a complete failure. (I don't think it will). I'd just be fuckin disapoint.
Hopefully, Roguey is not the only intellectually honest person on the kodex... :roll:
Anyway, I'll only have beta access, not alpha.

Rake

Arcane
So we should dismiss anything you say about PE when it comes out, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom