Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do people know the truth about Team Fortress?

Self-Ejected

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Team fortress was for people who were too poor to afford quake 3 and/or the unreal tournament games.
More like too retarded to compete in them.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It's not that I don't like it, it's that it's totally different and worse to what it was before that. It is like realistic military shooter combat in a game that was all about people flying all over the map. It was unique and different to every other game and got turned into retarded military style shooting like 1000 other shitty FPS,s CoD, BF, HL clones.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The classes are not pointless, they are all different and have pros and cons. Each are strong vs some class and weak vs others. Rocket guy felt like running in slow motion. Sniper could run about 4x faster and could kill him with 1 headshot. Pyro could run rings around him literally. Demolitions guy could kill a soldier with one click. Etc.

The rocket jump could only be used once or twice because it damaged the player. TF2 and TF1 are both more restrictive because it's a completely different game and engine and they dumbed it down too. They have fewer items and maps, smaller maps, the whole thing runs at a slower pace, there's no flying around the screen or interesting physics, no grenade fun, more restrictions on the sentry gun, etc. TF1 was pure decline, and TF2 decline even more.

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Quake's Team Fortress better because it was better. It was Quake's combat instead of Halflife.
There were some things that were better because Robin Walker was limited by the what you could do with Quake modding. Walker wanted the incendiary grenade to put out a field of fire like a Molotov cocktail, which was attempted in one version but it created a lot of server lag. That's why it did the three explosion thing that set anything within the blast radius on fire, but that wasn't how he wanted it. Also, this allowed the QWTF Pyro to grenade jump whereas the fire spreading version didn't allow this. Furthermore, there were several things that were worse, like the Detpack which would kill anything within a certain radius of the "blast" and it ignored walls, doors, etc. It's radius was huge too, and was eventually nerfed after numerous complaints. The original intent was that it would be used for blowing up special doors that had special triggers, but very, very few maps actually implemented this.
It had huge maps that were better and more elaborate and far more of them.
There were a lot of QWTF maps, but pretty much all the servers just ran 2fort4. For some reason, that's all the vast majority of QWTF players wanted to play. The author even made an updated version, 2fort5, but people still stuck with 2fort4.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
2fort4 was like the default map but a lot of maps were made not long after that. Lots of good ones, and wacky ones. Sniper wars, Xmas maps, maps with very dark areas, maps designed around the detpack, lots of ideas. The Well and Bases were super popular when I played.

TF2 looks like it has grown a lot but for a long time it had fewer maps and they weren't as big or good. Not to mention the entire rest of the gameplay being worse. I don't know about items, Quake has no items just weapons and grenades. But it gave you more grenades than TF/TF2 and let you cause mass slaughter if you used them all at once. TF/TF2 nerfed all that to be lame.

Fact is, QuakeWorld/TF was full of innovation and excitement and could have developed in lots of interesting directions. None of that happened after Valve took it over.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
tf2 is objectively inferior because it doesn't have captain pussy fucker terrorizing everyone through voip:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Well the TF2 prototypes seemed pretty innovative but I guess they suck because military shooter.
What prototypes?

I like military shooters too, I played CoD4 and oldschool BFs and Arma2 is probably the best FPS I ever played. I played Halflife in multiplayer in lots of forms too. But Quake was more of an action game and it had fun gameplay that's unique and different to all those others.

The true original Team Fortress (Quake version) was like Quake 3 Arena gameplay but with classes, and in 1996, before even Quake 2 or Unreal existed.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
TF2 looks like it has grown a lot but for a long time it had fewer maps and they weren't as big or good. Not to mention the entire rest of the gameplay being worse. I don't know about items, Quake has no items just weapons and grenades. But it gave you more grenades than TF/TF2 and let you cause mass slaughter if you used them all at once. TF/TF2 nerfed all that to be lame.
Well, like it or not, TF2 was what the people who made Team Fortress wanted to make when they had carte blanche access to everything. As I pointed out, there were certain things that were better about QWTF just because TFS was limited in what they could do because of the limitations of the Quake's QC access and multiplayer code. Valve didn't steal them or poach them, Valve offered them the keys to the castle along with a paycheck. TF2 was their vision, and I didn't care much for it either. Even TFC wasn't my cup of tea after being initially excited to hear they were making it when TF2 kind of fell flat in favor of Counter Strike. Part of it was that it wasn't QWTF because they still made some dubious changes particularly with things doing more damage than they did in QWTF, and certain things taking a different amount of time than they did in QWTF.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Sad tale. I switched to Unreal Tournament and later Q3 Arena had a Team Fortress mod too which was pretty good. But as much as I liked it, I wanted to see it grow into something bigger. Like Planetside only not made by f@%#$&s. I liked Unreal Tournament 2004's Onslaught mode but even that needed to grow too and it died with UT3.

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
My QWTF clan tried Tribes for a bit, and Unreal Tournament, but we never all came together on a replacement after a bunch of QWTF clans hopped over to Counter-Strike. None of us liked Counter-Strike. We weren't interested in just any competitive shooter and most of us really hated the "realism" crap in shooters. Counter-Strike is what really killed off Team Fortress.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
My QWTF clan tried Tribes for a bit, and Unreal Tournament, but we never all came together on a replacement after a bunch of QWTF clans hopped over to Counter-Strike. None of us liked Counter-Strike. We weren't interested in just any competitive shooter and most of us really hated the "realism" crap in shooters. Counter-Strike is what really killed off Team Fortress.

Counter strike was better than team fortress. Not even close.

heightfax

Literate
Sounds like your group couldn't figure out the spray patterns .CSS did have a pretty big skill curb and that went down in CSGO and went away for CS2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom