Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Do you think CDPR is capable of making a good game again?

Title

• Yes

• No

• They were never good to begin with(kingcomrade)

• Polish Bioware.

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Poland is notorious cultural cumslut for Western zeitgeist. I can't think of any Slavic country that more likes taste of Western cum. They are sort of addicts

Marcin Iwinski, CDPR CEO and founder, is militant vegan, pro-BLM, pro-LGBTQ feminist who sucked Obama's cock. What the fuck do we expect from his company?:D

DY050503

Educated
The game I liked and played the most from them was Gwent, so figure out the rest.

Witcher was never an RPG I could get into, because they gave you a character to insert yourself into. It's like they inserted something up your ass.

The nameless one was with no (known) history. The Fallout1/2 same. KOTOR 1/2 same. Arcanum same. BG1/2 same.

Witcher - they made you play an emo character ("I'm not like everyone else, nobody gets me") that can only appeal to 15 year olds. How can anyone like that? How do you do it?

And now that they're a giant corporation, they're incapable of making a good game by definition.
I think there are plenty of corporation making games with good graphics, but there is almost none recently have a good story/setting/characters. I wonder is it so hard to get a writer with decent skills nowadays? From my perspective a good graphic/programming code should be more difficult to achieve. However the reality says differently.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think there are plenty of corporation making games with good graphics, but there is almost none recently have a good story/setting/characters. I wonder is it so hard to get a writer with decent skills nowadays? From my perspective a good graphic/programming code should be more difficult to achieve. However the reality says differently.

I think it's because writing is a incestuous club, you see the same failed journos and writers getting hired for positions constantly they shouldn't have. Get fired from one place, suddenly they are lead writers at another AAA studio.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
CDPR went to shit as soon as they went public. That's what happens when companies let shareholders dictate their every action.

jungl

Augur
The witcher games were all hit and misses. First game was alright. Second game was okay enjoyed its jank never bothered finish it but liked it more then 3. 3 was too much of a movie game and so many things about the open world sucked. The random loot boxes everywhere and the enemies you have to come back to fight later. The game would of been 1000x better it level scaled you to whatever content you want to tackle. Never finished 3 either was insanely bored of it by skelleg.

No they can make not make another good game unless they downsize their company and focus on making less ambitious games.

DY050503

Educated
I believe that there is still talent there to make a good game they only need a well planned project that is not overly ambitious. Stick to that plan not making any major changes and a project lead that can actually stick to the plan and effectively organize the work.

Bigger issue is a SJW infestation that when reaches certain point of contamination will lead to self censorship and sanitization of the media. Which I think that has already taken root there, and while I dont think it reached critical mass, I personally dont see them making a great game anytime soon.[/

I think it's because writing is a incestuous club, you see the same failed journos and writers getting hired for positions constantly they shouldn't have. Get fired from one place, suddenly they are lead writers at another AAA studio.
It seems only explained why there are so many low level writers, not why there is almost none decent writer. It will be a big improvement for the game and bring competition advantages against other companies, but I only see Disco Elysium which probably have enjoyable writing recently, and it's from a country I totally not familiar with. Does a good gaming writer cost that much that no big company would like to hire?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I believe that there is still talent there to make a good game they only need a well planned project that is not overly ambitious. Stick to that plan not making any major changes and a project lead that can actually stick to the plan and effectively organize the work.

Bigger issue is a SJW infestation that when reaches certain point of contamination will lead to self censorship and sanitization of the media. Which I think that has already taken root there, and while I dont think it reached critical mass, I personally dont see them making a great game anytime soon.[/

It seems only explained why there are so many low level writers, not why there is almost none decent writer. It will be a big improvement for the game and bring competition advantages against other companies, but I only see Disco Elysium which probably have enjoyable writing recently, and it's from a country I totally not familiar with. Does a good gaming writer cost that much that no big company would like to hire?

There is a lack of good writers in every entertainment business, from comics to movies. Also good writers mostly tend to seek employment in other mediums as gaming usually has lowest pay and brings lest amount of "prestige".

DY050503

Educated

There is a lack of good writers in every entertainment business, from comics to movies. Also good writers mostly tend to seek employment in other mediums as gaming usually has lowest pay and brings lest amount of "prestige".
Can you explain why good writers are not enough? It seems there are plenty good works in the old games/works. Even they just expand the same ideas/settings it is still far better than most stories/settings we have today.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected

Not enough people care about writing in games to justify the cost of hiring a competent writer. Investing the resources it would take to hire a competent writer in improving technical aspects instead would represent more profit for the company. The writing could look like a high schooler wrote it, as is often the case nowadays, and it wouldn't matter.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
CDPR went to shit as soon as they went public. That's what happens when companies let shareholders dictate their every action.
"It's the shareholders, not the poor devs themselves!"
lol
codex_copium.png

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
"It's the shareholders, not the poor devs themselves!"
lol
codex_copium.png
No. The talent went to shit too, it's just that the shareholders ruined things before that. Might be hard to remember, but some things were still bad before the woke virus started spreading.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Can you explain why good writers are not enough? It seems there are plenty good works in the old games/works. Even they just expand the same ideas/settings it is still far better than most stories/settings we have today.

Again same thing with movies, tv shows, comics etc, 20 years there was a bigger pool of good writers. So even if you find a couple of good writers they are paid better in other industries so they rarely choose gaming.

At top of that you add hiring practices that values certain number of diversity hires, and its easier to diversify writers then programmers.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There's no need to hire or even BE a good writer when you already know your audience is going to slurp up any drivel you shit out. Codex is proof enough that even supposedly "cultured" people don't know what good writing or gameplay actually entails.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You can be a talented writer and still churn out crap if pushing The Message is more important to you than telling a good story.

Ravielsk

Magister
I can only repeat myself:
Slavs will drop all the pretense of being based the instant they smell money. So no, CDPR died of its own success and is now little more than Polish Bioware.
This is specifically a Polish thing. Hard to imagine but among all the slavic ethnicities the Polish are about as loved as jews were before the 1900s. Most of the time when they come up its in relation with selling defective goods or food.
Only major difference is that they are not particularly smart and tend to screw themselves over by being overtly two-faced(I know its an oxymoron but that is the point) in the worst way possible. With CDPR its building their brand on the back of being explicitly anti-mainstream focused on "niche"(which in their book is anything smaller than CoD) stuff only to then ape the very mainstream trash people wanted to escape from.
In their foreign policy you can see in their efforts to climb up America's ass while pissing of their nearest neighbors while hoping the that good old USA will not visit Taco Bell.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Updates are normal part of the gaming, but the way cybercuck team did it, it makes it that everytime they update some small shit, they have to replace these gigabyte size package files. So even if they update just one byte in the smallest text file, they will still need you to download few gb's worth of shit. Kinda bonkers and so inefficient for servers but oh well...

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That face of superiority. I'm sure she is pleasant to work under. And goodnight CDPR.

Not.AI

Learned
The reason there was a bigger pool of good writers in the past was because *every* civilization was more literate in the past. Significantly more literate.

Japanese civilization is still very literate in contrast.

If I bring gifts to somebody who has a PhD these days and it's a book, they will probably look at me strangely and say sadly, "What is this? You know I don't read."

And they go : <

I say, "But you have a PhD."

They say, "Amazing, isn't it."

Whereupon comes out my real gift, which is whiskey and slap on top of the book, as if it was a coaster. They go "Oh!" "Yeah!"

And they go : >

People who don't read (or can't read) can't write.

Most writers apparently just want to work in Hollywood and can't.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/The_Witcher_3_bestiary
https://thewitcher3.wiki.fextralife.com/Signs
https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Loot

vs

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npclist.html
(42,683 entries.)
https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db...vel=1&opt=And+Higher&expansion=&action=search
(that's just one class)
https://everquest.allakhazam.com/dyn/items/
(about 100,000?)

I can do the same for world building, variety of locations and quality, etc. I can't stand to play any open world game, even a GTA, if the effort to make it feel lively is so minimal compared to a small budget game from the 90s. Fuck this business and all the big companies.

Last edited:
I think so.

Their games will probably lack their charm/jank on the basis that they are a big company- but I think they will be able to, at the very least, make an enjoyable game again.

To be fair though, I did have a good time playing Cyberpunk 2077, even though that game was a fucking mess.

So you should probably take my opinion with a grain of salt- as my tolerance for AAA bullshit is probably lot higher that most people niche RPG communities lol.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Why is anyone normal expecting anything from OwlCat and CDPR, after both companies went woke, is beyond me :D Russian zoomers are pozzed beyond belief and Polish are sunflowers that turn the way Western cultural zeitgeist moves. Urban Slavs are culturally American af. Only difference is weird obsession with Adidas & Nike clothes

true

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom