Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Icewind Dale get better ?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Vale of Shadows is the most boring part of the game IMO. Dragons Eye is a lot better.

Modron

Arcane
I've been playing Icewind dale lately,so far all I've been fighting is copy pasted skeletons and others trash mobs,boring !

I heard that Icewind dale is a combat focused game so i was expecting good challenging encounters...but NO ! just shitty copy pasted mobs after shitty copy pasted mobs !

Does it get better or is just a boring Diablo clone ?

Maybe normal difficulty is too easy ?
Not really with exception to the Severed Hand most areas are devoid of anything but combat. The Severed Hand is of course combat heavy as well but there was just more shit to interact with examine and lore in it that built it up to be more interesting compared to the rest of the areas in game. Wasting too much effort on a troll post given that diablo clone bait but still...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Exploding beetles?

Oh.. bombardier beetles; i thought it might be something else.

DemonKing

Arcane
The IWD story is actually pretty deep for a game that was ostensibly a hack n' slasher. It also has the richest visuals and sound track of any of the IE games.

Yes Vale of Shadows is not that interesting but Dragon's Eye is better and the Severed Hand is one of my favourite CRPG locations ever.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In addition to what others are saying, my advice is to try to limit your rest spamming, if you are doing any of it. Try to play it in a less munchkin way than videogames are usually played.

Thal

Prophet
The IWD story is actually pretty deep for a game that was ostensibly a hack n' slasher.
Yes, but unfortunately it is also very underdeveloped.
Brother Poquelin's character and his perversion of the Ilmaterian faith is left completely unexplored. I believe you first hear about him in Kuldahar's temple, but afterwards he's barely even mentioned. He just comes out of blue to kill Arundel, after which it's a long slog through various locations to enact vengeance. Which is a a real shame, since the Ilmaterian angle would have been a very good plot device and could have brought a real mystery to the story. But now, there barely is any story. Compare this to Sarevok. You don't meet him in person until Chapter 7 (discounting Koveras), but by the time you do, his overarching plot and character have been slowly revealed throughout the game. On the other hand, by the time you meet Poquelin in Lower Dorn's Deep, you barely remember why you are even there.

Master

Arbiter
In a true computer role-playing game that allows full party creation, like Icewind Dale, difficulty is determined by party composition as much as anything. Half of good encounter design is about what you the player bring to the battlefield.
Sure, but its tough to get much out of a bunch of skeletons.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Icewind Dale is a wonderful game with a stellar soundtrack and awesome atmosphere.

If you're going to come here and shit talk it then put your hair up and square up, pussy. I'll take you on. Let's grapple.

vazha

Arcane
4 characters + insane difficulty is how real gentlemen play IWD series. Oh and no rest spamming too.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
In addition to what others are saying, my advice is to try to limit your rest spamming, if you are doing any of it. Try to play it in a less munchkin way than videogames are usually played.

Interesting point of view, you're saying something like that, correct me if i'm wrong :
  • You take a game with shiny graphics and soundtrack (i'll take people's word on that, i don't remember much else than the gameplay) but shitty gameplay.
  • In order to make the shitty combat more interesting, you increase the difficulty and play mages/clerics without spells.
  • Making the experience even worse, diablo-style, just click and hit these skeletons.
That's a new level of retardation, i must say ...

Icewind Dale is a wonderful game with a stellar soundtrack and awesome atmosphere.

If you're going to come here and shit talk it then put your hair up and square up, pussy. I'll take you on. Let's grapple.

Bring it on, spider, i've got some pandemonium powder at the ready!

Brancaleone

Prophet

Interesting point of view, you're saying something like that, correct me if i'm wrong :
  • You take a game with shiny graphics and soundtrack (i'll take people's word on that, i don't remember much else than the gameplay) but shitty gameplay.
  • In order to make the shitty combat more interesting, you increase the difficulty and play mages/clerics without spells.
  • Making the experience even worse, diablo-style, just click and hit these skeletons.
That's a new level of retardation, i must say ...

He's probably saying that since copy-pasted trashmobs offer no tactical challenge if you rest after each group (since you'll be repeating over and over the same sequence of actions), f you avoid resting as much as possible at least you'll have some strategic challenge left (in managing your resources). Which speaks a lot about the quality of encounter design in IWD.

In a true computer role-playing game that allows full party creation, like Icewind Dale, difficulty is determined by party composition as much as anything. Half of good encounter design is about what you the player bring to the battlefield.
You are mixing up difficulty level with good encounter design, and necessary conditions with sufficient conditions. Copy-pasted groups of generic humans with 9 in all ability scores will never be made "half-good" by any party composition. That's just a cheap way to shift the blame for incompetent design from the developer to the player.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Icewind Dale 1 and 2 share a common misdesign: The late-game contents are much more developed than the early-game ones.

Take IWD2. YOu have a freaking time travelling quest in Shattered Hands, late game. Why there? Why not earlier like after Ice Temple or something. Ice Temple has an archmage just sitting there teasing you with "I will call for you when the time arise".

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The IWD story is actually pretty deep for a game that was ostensibly a hack n' slasher. It also has the richest visuals and sound track of any of the IE games.

Yes Vale of Shadows is not that interesting but Dragon's Eye is better and the Severed Hand is one of my favourite CRPG locations ever.

I always say that Baldur's Gate should have been the hack n' slasher and IWD the proper party-based RPG. The setting of IWD was just so much more interesting, the writing was very engaging. I think the only "shitty" location I can think of was the first level of Dragon's Eye.

Curratum

I'm up to Yxunomei. It's kinda dull but also kinda fun, I enjoy the dungeon visuals a lot.

Does IWD get any better AFTER Yxunomei tho? :D

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The "Rest-spam or not" debate was already ancient when I joined in it, so I'm just going to say, to each their own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom