Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Dominions 6: ProfessionalThroneSitters II, MA Edition

Standard Game or Disciple Game

• I want a standard game, let's not interact with the lepers

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Disciple game, hit me with those Disease checks

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Btw valiant defense from Caelum there I could see what the plan was *salute*

Hey, I won. Somewhat.

Also who the fuck sent Heat3 towards one of my provinces with literally nothing on it

What the hell.
Could be a real event, both of temp spells just trigger them but they can happen randomly too.

At least could before 6 but doubt they changed that.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Btw valiant defense from Caelum there I could see what the plan was *salute*

Hey, I won. Somewhat.

Also who the fuck sent Heat3 towards one of my provinces with literally nothing on it

What the hell.
Yeah I know, I was being ambiguous to try not to give away any information other than I had a scout there, or that was the idea. valiant defences can still win!

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I did an incredible work of art :

silence.jpg

Dayyālu

Arcane
I did an incredible work of art :

Nice assets. Still prefer the Annunaki of Love and War tho.

In other news, or more correctly, RAW NEWS

379MR2n.jpeg

An army of undocumented Pheacians, amongst them the dregs of .... we can't exactly call it humanity, tries to move into Caelian lands, attracted by the wonderful climate and lack of Death by Elf or Death by Lizard.

726IpmY.jpeg

Alas, the Caelian Border Guard had been alerted, lead by the Great Amrav himself.

YQJHDAA.jpeg

The Pheacians bravely push through, daring your stock A spam without much success. If only my mages didn't went offscript and started spamming Lacerating Winds on Sea Trolls, for sure a winning move.

Cwif24m.jpeg

Their desperate courage isn't enough, and even the famed Oricalchum Guards break.

eyp9QP0.jpeg

Hey it's not much but it's a victory, I have done nothing but take Pheacian fists in my face until now

Andnjord

Arcane
Breaking news

His temples have gone silent, his prayers unanswered, the god of Asphodel has abandoned his followers leaving them at the mercy of the djinns of the desert and the undocumented Phaecians!

He’s not doing his part anymore!

Andnjord

Arcane
If only my mages didn't went offscript and started spamming Lacerating Winds on Sea Trolls,
We should have used the Better Casting AI mod. :M

1. Na’ba started fighting Asphodel.
2. Scelaria joined Asphodel, specifically to help the undead treehuggers.
3. Na’ba called Phaecia to help against Asphodel.
4. Uruk defends valiantly his walls against Phaecia.
5. Vanheim, Caelum and C’tis see this as a sign that he is weak and ripe for the looting and attack him.
6. Marignon attacks Na’ba thinking him wide open.
7. Agartha attacks Vanheim.
8. Ind and YS attack Marignon.
9. Apparently Phaecia kicks everybody’s butts.
You forgot to mention how for no reason at all Ys, Nidvanger, Caelum and Vanheim ganged up and bullied poor Jotunheim into oblivion. :M
You forgot to mention Agartha also grabbed a slice and Ind offered his services too. +M

but I was just talking about the current Pantakratorbowl, I didn’t think it relevant to mention past conflicts.

Last edited:

Johannes

Arcane
Ctis and Caelum sent their war declarations on the exact same turn, and apparently totally independent of each other. It also happened to be the turn that I attacked Asphodel on. Siege of Uruk was coming to a head at that point, the final succesful storming happening right on the next turn. Then two turns later Vanheim declares war, again seemingly ignorant of Ctis or Caelum intentions. They all just figured on their own that they really got what it takes to hassle me 1 on 1, but then lucked out on everyone else joining in simultaneously.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ctis and Caelum sent their war declarations on the exact same turn, and apparently totally independent of each other. It also happened to be the turn that I attacked Asphodel on. Siege of Uruk was coming to a head at that point, the final succesful storming happening right on the next turn. Then two turns later Vanheim declares war, again seemingly ignorant of Ctis or Caelum intentions. They all just figured on their own that they really got what it takes to hassle me 1 on 1, but then lucked out on everyone else joining in simultaneously.
I believed in myself.

Seriously man, where did you got all those provs/ income from? Was it due to the seaside prov bonus?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I was genuinely surprised how rabidly aggressive you played this. How did you find yourself at war with every neighbor plus some that barely border you?

I get one border war but this is pretty crazy.

Anyway I acted because leaving Phaecia unchecked would spell doom.

Dayyālu

Arcane

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Na'Ba - Asphodelian War Battles:

1720816246607.png

1720816362366.png

1720821446754.png

1720821501949.png

1720821678673.png

1720821729611.png

EC93D2F31945BD31D1A160D8E4D70A5B8FE31DC0

A3E057F196306464F6099AF53B34ED50AEEC419D

9411A0D4364E71173EC4F1842B5C533CA0F07931

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well that's it from me.

Probably gonna go AI this or the next turn, the game is pretty much mathematically impossible to survive.

Certainly, there are a lot of mistakes I made besides Diplo. Marignon wanted forts early but I was super fixated on getting "the strategic" location and ended up not getting one and ended up doing it Cap Circle anyway. Would've scaled much faster and better if I indeed built it early and been able to go to war by the start of Year 2.

There are some Research prioritization mistakes too, and I didn't really consider what Ys sacred is and was caught with my pants down by the Movrags. Some mistake in pulling out of Na'Ba costing pretty much 40 KotC, and by this point the game has been lost.

Last battle against Ind also has scripting mistake, I shouldn't asked the KotC to attack largest in hubris of trying to take down the Devi and should've just aimed for army routing by going rear.

I would argue pretender design also has a massive issue with trying to abuse Eclipse + Spirit Sight. But I went for Evocation first in the hope of having decent mages Evo, but then war with Ys broke up, I am pigeonholed on getting Ench 5 to deal with the Movrag but it means my immobile pretender can't help and the Spirit Sight is kinda a dead weight as I am nowhere near Alt 5 for Solar Eclipse. I should've also gone for Fire Resist (I took Enchanted blood for expansion reason with the regen) bless a bit as it will free up some fear that I am nuking my own units by way of my own Evo and probably will be able to deal with Ys better.

And I guess this is an experience fighting against Elves too, which is dreadful. Knowing that the big Sacred stack could be anywhere and will decimate you really close the option to raiding especially with Marignon that's pretty much only about KotC as the backbone of the army.

Around Elves never relax indeed.

Overall pretty decent experience to learn mistakes from.

Johannes

Arcane
Well that's it from me.

Probably gonna go AI this or the next turn, the game is pretty much mathematically impossible to survive.

Certainly, there are a lot of mistakes I made besides Diplo. Marignon wanted forts early but I was super fixated on getting "the strategic" location and ended up not getting one and ended up doing it Cap Circle anyway. Would've scaled much faster and better if I indeed built it early and been able to go to war by the start of Year 2.

There are some Research prioritization mistakes too, and I didn't really consider what Ys sacred is and was caught with my pants down by the Movrags. Some mistake in pulling out of Na'Ba costing pretty much 40 KotC, and by this point the game has been lost.

Last battle against Ind also has scripting mistake, I shouldn't asked the KotC to attack largest in hubris of trying to take down the Devi and should've just aimed for army routing by going rear.

I would argue pretender design also has a massive issue with trying to abuse Eclipse + Spirit Sight. But I went for Evocation first in the hope of having decent mages Evo, but then war with Ys broke up, I am pigeonholed on getting Ench 5 to deal with the Movrag but it means my immobile pretender can't help and the Spirit Sight is kinda a dead weight as I am nowhere near Alt 5 for Solar Eclipse. I should've also gone for Fire Resist (I took Enchanted blood for expansion reason with the regen) bless a bit as it will free up some fear that I am nuking my own units by way of my own Evo and probably will be able to deal with Ys better.

And I guess this is an experience fighting against Elves too, which is dreadful. Knowing that the big Sacred stack could be anywhere and will decimate you really close the option to raiding especially with Marignon that's pretty much only about KotC as the backbone of the army.

Overall pretty decent experience to learn mistakes from.
Getting Fire Resist spell to counter Morvarchs might not be that necessary, the Knights are heavily armored enough that the fire breath will just do chip damage at them. And there be enough time for the fear to kick in then, if numbers would be close to equal and not a lot of mage support on either side. The Spirit Sight still lets your sacreds ignore the glamour mirror images the Morvarchs have, and the stealthy friars would also be able to spot Morvarchs in provinces they're sneaking in.
But combined with fighting the Fire Shield bless Na'Ba, maybe FR spell is still the way to go. But fighting a 1v3 vs opponents with comparable or bigger economies than you, is a hard spot no matter what.

As you have Spirit Sight (-> S3), your Statue isn't really immobile - it can cast teleport. But getting to Thaum-4 is another research path you might not be that interested in otherwise. Or now it's a cap defender ofc. While you might not be able to mount a comeback, you could still have some fun in coming up with ways to hold out as long as possible, with the Statue and otherwise. But up to you if that sounds interesting or not.

Andnjord

Arcane
Never were more succinct words spoken.
Hey, I don't have sneak on anyone but one mage, this wasn't even a full elfing!

getting Ench 5 to deal with the Movrag
If I may ask, what was the plan with this? I'm looking at Ench5 and there's nothing that strikes me as very significant.

what Ys sacred is and was caught with my pants down by the Movrags.
I feel you overestimated a little what Movar'ch can really do. If you look at our main battle sure, your 40 sacreds die to my 40 sacreds, but I also have a bunch of mages raining gifts of heaven and acid rain down on your troops while the lone commander you brought (main mistake for this stack) gets sniped by round 5 triggering a rout. And despite all this I still lost 12 sacreds (incidentally, the reason for that is a little bullshit: turns out that mounts can and will rout from Fear resulting mechanically in a full blown casualty. I never even got the discount recruit on those loses) and by the end of the battle I had barely a dozen sacreds left on the field that hadn't routed. Had you supported you knights a little better and focused on me more you could have swept me off the field, after all I only had half of my army available for you, the other half was sieging Jotunheim until a couple of turns ago.

But really, I counted about 160 KotC, even minus the 40 lost early on while you were still understanting what was going on, you could have easily smashed either me or Ind with a hundred knights but instead had them spread out or uncommited. You had superior numbers than either of us and very short interior lines, I think you could have done much better had you not let Elf Paralysis get the better of you.

But I can't blame you, you had to come up with a counter to my knights (which you sadly didn't realise was just MOAR knights) and to St Theresa who was free to roam around and solo armies as she pleased (or would have by now, Ind wasn't too confident about it early on).

I would argue pretender design also has a massive issue with trying to abuse Eclipse + Spirit Sight.
Spirit Sight was actually useful, it stopped me from casting Twilight into Nightfall which would have put your knights at a severe disadvantage.

I had so many tricks ready for you, but you kept ignoring me to play with St Theresa and her cute Greatsword of Sharpness, why so cruel Senpai?

But fighting a 1v3 vs opponents with comparable or bigger economies than you, is a hard spot no matter what.
1v2, Na'ba wasn't involved except in retaking a couple of lost provinces.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Getting Fire Resist spell to counter Morvarchs might not be that necessary, the Knights are heavily armored enough that the fire breath will just do chip damage at them.
I feel you overestimated a little what Movar'ch can really do. If you look at our main battle sure, your 40 sacreds die to my 40 sacreds, but I also have a bunch of mages raining gifts of heaven and acid rain down on your troops while the lone commander you brought (main mistake for this stack) gets sniped by round 5 triggering a rout.

I think this is really not the case isn't it. When we accidentlly bumped in the throne province 5 Movrach killed like 11 of my Knights, I killed 2 (with Spirit Sight the Mirror Image doesn't even matter) and 3 routed? That's a terrible ratio discounting any mages

If I may ask, what was the plan with this? I'm looking at Ench5 and there's nothing that strikes me as very significant.

Flame Ward AoE 20. In general with Fear bless I just need to survive long enough. I can't answer the meteors but at least it will help survive the Morvach line longer.

The problem is really attirition too, even if I can survive and route you, I will be taking terrible damage. And would just grind to a halt.

But really, I counted about 160 KotC, even minus the 40 lost early on while you were still understanting what was going on, you could have easily smashed either me or Ind with a hundred knights but instead had them spread out or uncommited. You had superior numbers than either of us and very short interior lines, I think you could have done much better had you not let Elf Paralysis get the better of you.

Nah that's the game scouting. I have like 40 attacking Na'Ba, around 40 was going to reinforce Aspodhel/Phaecia front by helping raiding before Ind declared war on me. Around 20 just sitting around in fort to build up some forces.

The problem is Ind has something like 3 adjacent fort on my frontline with him, I don't think moving to Ind with a big stack will be fast enough. Against you or Ind only or Na'Ba only is probably fine, fighting both, especially when I can't fucking see the other guy forces and where they are is really hard.
As you have Spirit Sight (-> S3), your Statue isn't really immobile - it can cast teleport. But getting to Thaum-4 is another research path you might not be that interested in otherwise. Or now it's a cap defender ofc. While you might not be able to mount a comeback, you could still have some fun in coming up with ways to hold out as long as possible, with the Statue and otherwise. But up to you if that sounds interesting or not.

My researches are Evo 5, Ench 5, Conj 3 with Blood/Astral/low Blood. The only meaningful spells the guy can cast is.... Horde of Skeleton, certainly not something that will work vs 50 Morvachs. I have mages there in the castle... but yeah Falling Fire ain't gonna do jackshit I think considering Ys' Bless. My Evocation is literally useless.
Spirit Sight was actually useful, it stopped me from casting Twilight into Nightfall which would have put your knights at a severe disadvantage.

Yeah should've said fuck it and went for Alteration and went for Ind early. And first time playing Evo focused mages and Falling Fire doesn't seems as amazing as I wanted it to be. Maybe I need more mages?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I had so many tricks ready for you, but you kept ignoring me to play with St Theresa and her cute Greatsword of Sharpness, why so cruel Senpai?

I frankly have no idea to "mind game" vs enemy that's literally invisible. Like what am I supposed to do especially as the Elves is water nation that I can't really meaningfully contest.

I am honestly racking my brain on what to do against Ys in general right now for future games

Andnjord

Arcane
When we accidentlly bumped in the throne province 5 Movrach killed like 11 of my Knights, I killed 2 (with Spirit Sight the Mirror Image doesn't even matter) and 3 routed?
« Accidentally » :-D I was raiding with whatever I had at hand to draw your attention away from focusing solely on Ind.
9 KotC killed, 1 Movar’ch killed to be precise. Now that was one skirmish, I did some testing and with enough critical mass your knights start routing equal numbers of mine (getting a lot of kills in the process) with minimal casualties, usually around 20vs20.

And speaking of attrition, my sacreds are cap only and cost 115 per. In a massed armies of equal gold cost I’m certain I would have lost badly vs double the numbers of KotC.

I do appreciate that this is all hindsight and telling you what you could have done with perfect information. Your position was very difficult indeed and there is no shame in your conduct of the war.

Nah that's the game scouting. I have like 40 attacking Na'Ba, around 40 was going to reinforce Aspodhel/Phaecia front by helping raiding before Ind declared war on me. Around 20 just sitting around in fort to build up some forces.
That’s the numbers that I counted from battles, not what you had at the start, sorry for not specifying.

As for my numbers I had 40 sacreds in total at the start, after the battle losses this had only climbed back to 35 by the time the Jotunheim reinforcements had arrived (now essentially). What you can do is to repeatedly ping provinces with scouts or indie commanders set to retreat to really see what’s there.

Maybe I need more mages?
From what I saw of your battles against Ind yeah, definitely not enough mages committed to battle. But I guess that’s due to what your expansion was and what it afforded you.

Johannes

Arcane
Thinking about this at more detail...
My researches are Evo 5, Ench 5, Conj 3 with Blood/Astral/low Blood. The only meaningful spells the guy can cast is.... Horde of Skeleton, certainly not something that will work vs 50 Morvachs. I have mages there in the castle... but yeah Falling Fire ain't gonna do jackshit I think considering Ys' Bless. My Evocation is literally useless.
Evo 5 has good stuff already, Astral Geyser for the Witch Hunters to cast with communion. Its main effect is really the wide AoE MR-negates damage, not the horror mark (though the casting AI doesn't like to cast it at all afaik, Stellar Cascades is still passable too). And Shadow Blast for the pretender for more MR-negates damage. And when you get to Evo 6, seems plausible as the citadel walls take a long time to crack, you've got Astral Fire for communion use which is an awesome spell, MR negates again.

The statue is just tanky as hell, and the enchanted blood bless even lets it regenerate health (even if really slowly, this counters chip damage in a long fight). And if you get Leeching Touch from blood, gives it way more staying power still. Horde of skeletons is good for just taking that much less damage, and high level caster like this can spam it near constantly. If you can reach Ench 6, Rigor Mortis makes the skeletons start killing stuff once they pass out. And some will just run from the fear of being in close contact with the statue for too long, and for cavalry this can be a death sentence when rider and mount are separated.

Likely you'd still fall ultimately, just some turns later, but cap defence can be an interesting tactical puzzle just as anything in the game. And a relatively low effort one at that.

Trash Player

Augur
Alteration also gives Incinerate, which can kill even SC without significant regen/FR. Problem is the short range. which means scripting advance and cast and hoping for the best. Alas, Ys and Ind have way more diverse options at this point, there would have been efficient counters to most things you could have done anyway. They both have troops with darkvision and more and cheaper S mages for instance. Your best window really is overwhelming them with critical mass of KotC early on.

Johannes

Arcane
Damn this constant fighting is getting kinda exhausting, can't have no simple turns. First Caelum settles for peace then backstabs me (he was mad that I bantered he's acting jewish with his style of haggling), then Vanheim does the same (he felt unsafe that I didn't send a NAP proposal when we agreed that he would send one - I guess he's butthurt he didn't get to reject a proposal by me), and I expect Ctis to backstab me also next turn.

Vanheim's behavior kinda makes sense, he's using minimal forces to raid provinces to keep losses acceptable, while the other two are sending everything they have at me, Caelum sending countless gems to just kill my population with event spells and 4x+ seeking arrow spam to kill lone 30hp sitesearchers - behavior that doesn't benefit them, only hurts me, very spiteful (jewy?) behavior.

It's kinda inspiring to see the same guys swear how untrustworthy Malakal is, yet then fall into screw their own game to benefit him time and again.

The part that I'm taken aback by, is how Dayyaly said near game start how he's a reasonable and straightforward in his diplo. Takes some balls to spout such brazen lie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom