Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Dominions 6: ProfessionalThroneSitters III: Late Age Edition

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Please increase site setting too, LA is too low with that IMO.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
They all look good. I'd vote for the floating Archipelago because of how mental and crazy it must play.
Second choice Orania which looks good all around.

Popot

Augur
3rd map, Orania, looks good to me.
+1 to Worthy Heroes and Gem Longevity mods.

Tanaka

Educated
Welcome. We have 14 players.

The votes on Diplomacy, if I got 'em right, make Binding Diplo the winning option.

It seems that we'll have Cataclysm, and I'll evaluate on my retarded take when it's proper. We had a suggestion for turn 80, but maybe it's too far. Or maybe it's now.

Mapgen... Custom Map won.

I'm not particularly inclined to download and playtest a shitton of maps from Blitzserver, so I did a bit of search on the workshop. We're 14 players so 210 provinces is the "gold standard".

Edowyn (174 land, 43 sea)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3148993859&searchtext=

It's a Pymous map. So it's pretty as fuck and probably a complete PITA to play. Also 43 sea provinces ffs

Floating Arcipelago (169 land and 20 sea)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3213514239&searchtext=

A tad too small for our interests, also pretty as fuck and probably also completely fucking unplayable.

Orania (provinces: 259 land and 20 sea)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3264772717&searchtext=

It's a ported Dominions 2-era map. I quite like it and it looks playable. It's a tad too big for our interests and it would result in a 19 province expansion par player, changing somewhat the initial expansion routine.

Please make your opinion heard. Also if you found some better options I'll be delighted to include them.

Regarding Mods, Worthy Heroes has a handful of votes. I'd like also more votes on the Gem Longevity Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3270479661). I can understand why people like it, but I personally find it iffy and I'll need to test it on a lobby for compatibility issues. But if the majority wants it, I'll gladly concede.

PLS REPLY I VALUE EVERYONE'S OPINION ON THE MATTER
There is also this one that was specifically made for MP:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3271595277&searchtext=

+1 for the mods mentioned.

Dayyālu

Arcane
There is also this one that was specifically made for MP:

I don't watch Dominions Youtubers but I wonder about Lucid when he creates a "protected start map" with a 30 province per player size. It's like an engine for hellgames.

(I mean, it looks pretty, but thirty is too much)

Dayyālu

Arcane
How about Snerdryn for the map? 127 land + 20 sea provs
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3146452765&searchtext=

Happy to go with WH, although it doesn't really seem to do much for the newer nations.

I'm kind of on the fence regarding the gem longevity mod? Not that I usually live to see the lategame, but I've seen gem use baiting in the past...

Small maps (10 or sub10 provinces per player) usually force a specific kind of Pretender build. Pymous maps are also incredibly pretty but I've never had particularly "balanced" games on 'em. But if people want a knifefight we can get one, sure.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Welcome. We have 14 players.

The votes on Diplomacy, if I got 'em right, make Binding Diplo the winning option.

It seems that we'll have Cataclysm, and I'll evaluate on my retarded take when it's proper. We had a suggestion for turn 80, but maybe it's too far. Or maybe it's now.

Mapgen... Custom Map won.

I'm not particularly inclined to download and playtest a shitton of maps from Blitzserver, so I did a bit of search on the workshop. We're 14 players so 210 provinces is the "gold standard".

Edowyn (174 land, 43 sea)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3148993859&searchtext=

It's a Pymous map. So it's pretty as fuck and probably a complete PITA to play. Also 43 sea provinces ffs

Floating Arcipelago (169 land and 20 sea)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3213514239&searchtext=

A tad too small for our interests, also pretty as fuck and probably also completely fucking unplayable.

Orania (provinces: 259 land and 20 sea)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3264772717&searchtext=

It's a ported Dominions 2-era map. I quite like it and it looks playable. It's a tad too big for our interests and it would result in a 19 province expansion par player, changing somewhat the initial expansion routine.

Please make your opinion heard. Also if you found some better options I'll be delighted to include them.

Regarding Mods, Worthy Heroes has a handful of votes. I'd like also more votes on the Gem Longevity Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3270479661). I can understand why people like it, but I personally find it iffy and I'll need to test it on a lobby for compatibility issues. But if the majority wants it, I'll gladly concede.

PLS REPLY I VALUE EVERYONE'S OPINION ON THE MATTER
The first map looks pretty. :M

Baron Tahn

Scholar
On maps: I like the first one, but worried about the caves, Im sure itll be okay? I also like Orania, but also unsure what 'added some caves' means. If it works either of those two look good. Would like some caves to play with to get some experience with them, but Im not fussed - that first map looks good enough to play even without a underground layer as long as I spawn with access to the right provinces.

On mods: I like Worthy Heroes, feels like it adds good things, but as some races dont get any new ones I wonder about balance, happy to go w8th the consensus and Ill vote for yes if its a split vote. I like the vanilla sprite overhaul too but probably unneccesary. Not sure about Gem Longevity I havent tried it. Guess Id vote no if it comes to a split.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
So Ive done some preliminary testing on those two maps: Oriana and Edowyn. Not sure eh?

Edowyn looks nice but seems to have minimal indies and few caves - seems very designed for pre- dom 6. Not sure about sites or events - I wonder if any new components in Dom 6 will either be jank or missing. Its also quite hard to 'read'.

Orania can have caves that work okay, but the provinces seem busted - obvious mountains/highlands sometimes are not marked as such, not sure if the map isnt working as intended from the brief look I had.

If I had to choose between the two Id pribably have to go Orania, even though Edowyn looks very nice and all, but would it be better than vanilla mapgen?

Trash Player

Augur
Ugly aside, the map gen isn't that lacking in playability. Unless a map exactly designed for 14 land nations is found, pretty custom maps are only pretty.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I like the vanilla sprite overhaul too but probably unneccesary.
Most of the sprites are really nice. The devs should just buy it from the modder and include it into the game, since they themselves don't really feel updating 20yo sprites.

Maybe the in game map generator is best after all haha...
I still think the in game map gen is the best option. :M

Johannes

Arcane
Old maps that don't have the proper textures for changing terrain, are no good imo. Not when we got options that facilitate that.

Tanaka

Educated
Agreed the in game map generator works better with terrain textures...

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Yeh its a bit sad there arent many newer maps cropping up but from my brief look at designing maps myself I kinda understand why. Need autism and a degree and a thousand hours!

Johannes

Arcane
Yeh its a bit sad there arent many newer maps cropping up but from my brief look at designing maps myself I kinda understand why. Need autism and a degree and a thousand hours!
You can do a lot of different things with map nuke, both in terms of layout and textures.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
How does one go about testing maps for multiplayer? Id help you out Dayyalu but Im not really sure what to look for or how its done - I do generate a fuckton of maps looking for good ones though.

Johannes

Arcane
You can do a lot of different things with map nuke, both in terms of layout and textures.
But you can't make it not ugly. :M
What's the standard for that? If you don't like the textures in previous game (which are already better than ingame mapgen imo), you can look for / make new textures for mapnuke to use.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You guys think we can fit another player? A friend wants to join but he only now made an account and it will take him a week to post so I am asking for him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom