Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Dominions 6 - Rise of the Pantokrator: The New Decline a.k.a ProfessionalThroneSitters MP Match (Ongoing!)

In what age should we play?

• Early Age

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Middle Age

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Late Age

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters

Johannes

Arcane
Select the mages you want on the main screen, then go into the army positioning screen with just the selected guys (ctrl+t). And use the ctrl+1-9 hotkeys to copy and paste scripts.

I'm sure most of you know the hotkeys, but maybe there's a poor soul out there clicking every mage's script spell by spell that this is helpful to.

Beastro

Arcane
Damn this sqeeqoo has casually 50 mages marching in his doomstack. But the feminists didn't show up for the fight
Goddamn how the fuck you script this many mages for specific fights and all?

Must be tedious as fuck. At that point when you click the province the screen is full of mages I guess?
Easy actually, group mages into paths/crosspath groups they have and copy paste scripts.

I literally can list useful combat spells from memory, despite there being hundreds and hundreds of spells you won't be scripting starfires...

I mean for most cases:
A bolt, t-strike.
E maws, blade wind, strength buff, weapon buff, armor buffs
F fireball, pillar, falling fires, incinerate
W cold bolt blast falling frost frozen heart
all elemental magics use elementals too and booster spells
D skeletons shadow blast
S stellar cascades ethereal buffs
N stream of life, storm of thorns
B life for life, harm, leech
G no idea actually
Crosspaths:
DF bane spells
EF magma spels
DS nether spells
WF acid spells
Sx communion and above spells

And then big mages get custom script for important spells.
I think sometimes of buying this game and then I read spell lists like this.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Damn this sqeeqoo has casually 50 mages marching in his doomstack. But the feminists didn't show up for the fight
Goddamn how the fuck you script this many mages for specific fights and all?

Must be tedious as fuck. At that point when you click the province the screen is full of mages I guess?
Easy actually, group mages into paths/crosspath groups they have and copy paste scripts.

I literally can list useful combat spells from memory, despite there being hundreds and hundreds of spells you won't be scripting starfires...

I mean for most cases:
A bolt, t-strike.
E maws, blade wind, strength buff, weapon buff, armor buffs
F fireball, pillar, falling fires, incinerate
W cold bolt blast falling frost frozen heart
all elemental magics use elementals too and booster spells
D skeletons shadow blast
S stellar cascades ethereal buffs
N stream of life, storm of thorns
B life for life, harm, leech
G no idea actually
Crosspaths:
DF bane spells
EF magma spels
DS nether spells
WF acid spells
Sx communion and above spells

And then big mages get custom script for important spells.
Get it, there is a ritual that steals the sun and another that makes a second sun (they cancel themselves out if both cast).

TheDarkUrge

Educated
Are there any codex MP games going on? I just tried this game for the first time a few weeks ago and love it. My favorite faction is MA ermor, I think popkill is a neat mechanic. :bounce:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Are there any codex MP games going on? I just tried this game for the first time a few weeks ago and love it. My favorite faction is MA ermor, I think popkill is a neat mechanic. :bounce:
you are literally posting in a thread about such game

TheDarkUrge

Educated
you are literally posting in a thread about such game
:hmmm: I saw this thread from the main page of the forum and the latter title part was cut off. This thread has as many posts as the main game discussion funny enough. Anyway I'll go there instead and wait for a new one.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I am suiciding by cop

Too far behind in anything, bless sucks (non stacking bless), scales sucks, research sucks, pretender sucks. Just want to see one doomstack vs doomstack to see how to script. Even with pretty much 0 chance to go anywhere these turns are taking hours to end, even making 2 spreadsheets to track shits

Time to die in blaze of glory and wait for the next game

That being said as far as first MP game, it makes me learn a lot. Playing this game in SP actually build some bad habit like playing RTS.

Even though Dom is turn-based 4X, a lot of principles such as faction timing, early game, where to put your resources are very important, shits that you don't get playing on SP. Picking a bless during Pretender creation becomes a heavy opportunity cost exercise as what you can't cover through Bless (or Scales for some faction) you need to overcome through magic research.

First time seeing TC and Ryleh having Conj 5 summons and Construction 5 Items when I barely broke through level 4 research is eye opening to say the least. Fort building too.

The seeing scripting vs Ubar and TC too

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I mean its up to you but let me just say seeing Kailasa survive this long is a real feat! Go for the record!

Also FYI Codex games often end in weird ways so cataclysm isn't out of the question and you could even pull out a miracle win assuming you get a few thrones by then...

Popot

Educated
Ur is about to go extinct. Overall the game went better than expected, I haven't played Dominions for a few years and I thought I would be stomped quickly.

sqeecoo

Arcane
I am suiciding by cop

Too far behind in anything, bless sucks (non stacking bless), scales sucks, research sucks, pretender sucks. Just want to see one doomstack vs doomstack to see how to script. Even with pretty much 0 chance to go anywhere these turns are taking hours to end, even making 2 spreadsheets to track shits

Time to die in blaze of glory and wait for the next game

That being said as far as first MP game, it makes me learn a lot. Playing this game in SP actually build some bad habit like playing RTS.

Even though Dom is turn-based 4X, a lot of principles such as faction timing, early game, where to put your resources are very important, shits that you don't get playing on SP. Picking a bless during Pretender creation becomes a heavy opportunity cost exercise as what you can't cover through Bless (or Scales for some faction) you need to overcome through magic research.

First time seeing TC and Ryleh having Conj 5 summons and Construction 5 Items when I barely broke through level 4 research is eye opening to say the least. Fort building too.

The seeing scripting vs Ubar and TC too

If this is your first game you've done an amazing job, congratulations! Johannes is one of the best players I know (and the skill ceiling in dominions is super high, the best players are ridiculously better than good ones) so loosing to him is no shame. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, btw. Dominions players are very inclined to helping newcomers, in my experience, and you can learn a lot that way. I still fondly remember the time I asked Malakal here an innocent strategy question and he responded with a massive wall of text that started with "I'm sorry, but everything you are doing is wrong" :D

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I mean its up to you but let me just say seeing Kailasa survive this long is a real feat! Go for the record!

Also FYI Codex games often end in weird ways so cataclysm isn't out of the question and you could even pull out a miracle win assuming you get a few thrones by then...

the only reason I am still alive is because TC has bigger fish to fry (Ubar, Ryleh before the Ho Mo accident) and Ryleh is dealing with damn elves.

Essentially "these monkeh poses no threat and I will devour him later" kind of deal

Theoretically I should just sit down, summon dozen of Gandharvas, hire dozens of Bandar Archers, and lot of chaps. I might stand a chance against one, especially Ryleh but I feel that it is kinda ungentlemanly. And honestly I am just itching hard to have a real game TM with these monkehs in the future.

I guess I kinda picked a nation that sucks to be "mained" but I am just really super excited to apply what I learnt here I guess

mondblut

Arcane

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
If this is your first game you've done an amazing job, congratulations! Johannes is one of the best players I know (and the skill ceiling in dominions is super high, the best players are ridiculously better than good ones) so loosing to him is no shame. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, btw. Dominions players are very inclined to helping newcomers, in my experience, and you can learn a lot that way. I still fondly remember the time I asked Malakal here an innocent strategy question and he responded with a massive wall of text that started with "I'm sorry, but everything you are doing is wrong" :D

On learning yeah, feels like there are big enough complexity to learn and there are very big ceiling. It is really something to be in this age and feels just excited to be learning a damned video game and actually looking forward to play again with what you learned.

The last time I felt like this was when I played Dota 20 years ago pretty much. Buying this game and joining this game was a very entertaining and I almost missed a great thing. I wished I could've started sooner with 5 when Grimwulf was still around too.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well I was thinking we could do a MA Codex game next? Different pool of nations and one of the favorite ages. Just the blasted Ermor....

mondblut

Arcane

The guides on why this race should only use a "Colossal flying toilet" pretender with 9 points in magic path Y and order 2 / sloth 1 / heat 2 / misfortune 1 (and never ever misfortune 2 or 0!), and that you need to get queen of elemental air #2 and arm her with Sword of 3.5 Attacks (because just 3 will only make her killed and 4 will make her die out of fatigue) and Amulet of Particularly Smelly Farting, then send this one kind of mage out of 500 available types with her to cast "Loud Farting" 3 times on her and retreat and another specific one out of 500 to hold 3 turns then cast "Wind blows towards enemies" battlefield enchantment and retreat too and DOCTOR MY BRAIN HURTS.

Dat you?

Dayyālu

Arcane
On learning yeah, feels like there are big enough complexity to learn and there are very big ceiling. It is really something to be in this age and feels just excited to be learning a damned video game and actually looking forward to play again with what you learned.

I am a soulless shell of a man, but Dominions gives me still both glee and terror at the same time. All for pixelmen killing each other with bad sound effects. Also there's only one Pantokrator, everyone else loses by design (or at best goes for kingmaker) so even doing decently, particularly against a good player, is a thing to be proud of.

It's a weirdass game. Kailasa gave you no favours, I've never seen a Kailasa perform well or win any game I was in.

Also, optimization is good but .... well, diplomacy an' shit helps too. Dominions is a sperg game but also a people's game. Also you do dumb shit sometimes because you want to. Like, "why the hell I am summoning Birds with Agartha?"

Well I was thinking we could do a MA Codex game next? Different pool of nations and one of the favorite ages. Just the blasted Ermor....

I can organize another one, with shorter names, but I'd almost prefer to get to a 72 hours turn for this one if we get another one. Lategame turns get messy as you know and I'm old. But maybe we can agree on that and start another thread!

Also I was entertaining the idea of starting a Disciple game with the RPGHQ community, they can be /pol/tard lepers but they're still brethren and apparently they have 5-6 decent players, and a good Disciple game is a good chance for newbies to learn and shine.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
It's a weirdass game. Kailasa gave you no favours, I've never seen a Kailasa perform well or win any game I was in.

It certainly an interesting bunch of Monkey. Maybe I'll do some write up about what I think and some veteran here can point out some wrong logic or someshit.

Also, optimization is good but .... well, diplomacy an' shit helps too. Dominions is a sperg game but also a people's game. Also you do dumb shit sometimes because you want to. Like, "why the hell I am summoning Birds with Agartha?"

Indeed! And Diplo it is! Thing is in some way for Diplo to work you kinda need to actually have something to show as well, otherwise people consider you pushover and push you anyway (or I guess being so pitiful that nobody consider you a threat). Certainly interesting part of the game too. As this is my first game and ended up near fellow new guy (Hag's Ubar) it kinda feels safer you know. But pretty sure such a thing is not in the table in future games

Dayyālu

Arcane
Indeed! And Diplo it is! Thing is in some way for Diplo to work you kinda need to actually have something to show as well, otherwise people consider you pushover and push you anyway (or I guess being so pitiful that nobody consider you a threat).

I was going to say that you can be the best player in the world but it's kind of hard to survive a gangbang against 3-4 other players even if they're scrubs

But Johannes proved me wrong, ehrmmm

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Indeed! And Diplo it is! Thing is in some way for Diplo to work you kinda need to actually have something to show as well, otherwise people consider you pushover and push you anyway (or I guess being so pitiful that nobody consider you a threat).

I was going to say that you can be the best player in the world but it's kind of hard to survive a gangbang against 3-4 other players even if they're scrubs

But Johannes proved me wrong, ehrmmm
Not to toot my own horn but I won EA Hinnom game where 6 players gang banged me and I was down to 2 unsieged forts and 7 provinces.

And he is fighting Rlyeh so that barely counts...

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Tbh, it's all my fault. I played way too defensively. I had ample time, means and opportunity to make life miserable for TC. But a combination of map layout and procrastination compelled me to do - nothing.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Ur is about to go extinct. Overall the game went better than expected, I haven't played Dominions for a few years and I thought I would be stomped quickly.
If it's any consolation, while the filthy elves were trying to kick you out of their own capital, this was happening on their western flank:
TDvJjlD.png
tobcwtd.png
fmie3Ah.png
KwGPsm2.png
IACXnsK.png

I credit the key to my success to my sacrifice of two of my 3 earth magi and an adrodai to an ivy king seiging my other fort. This baffling display confused the forces of Helheim so much that they forgot to create a storm before attempting to summon storm power, leaving them unable to conjure a horde of air elementals to kick my ass like they did the last time I tried this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom