Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom 3 vs Return to Castle Wolfenstein

schru

Arcane
The PlayStation versions are pretty interesting too, what with the music and the new levels. Doom 64 is pretty nice too.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
That version is still enjoyable enough to play, the flow is all right. It's just that it removes something that pretty much was the game's defining feature. I don't think it'd be unfair if you just pirated the PC version, seeing as the BFG Edition was probably Bethesda's idea and they didn't care about being faithful to the original intent, so its being advertised as an improved version is misleading. However, with that version you get an additional set of levels (they're a separate game-mode or something like that) that were cut from the game and a new episode for Doom II which is pretty good.

The darkness wasn't removed, BFG Edition was still dark as fuck. I do prefer vanilla, but for different reasons (higher difficulty).

schru

Arcane
The darkness wasn't removed, BFG Edition was still dark as fuck. I do prefer vanilla, but for different reasons (higher difficulty).
I didn't mean that the darkness itself was removed, just the separation of the torch from the weapons. As for darkness, I think only the ambiance was lightened up somewhat in places.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes, I remember all those other standard WW2 games that had an overheating silenced Sten, an FG42, an eksperimentool sniper rifle with night vision and a chaingun.

Oh wow, a silenced machine gun and chaingun? What crazy and innovative weapons!!!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
shifting_goals2.jpg

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I didn't play RTCW until the year before last and it made me sad, because I could have been enjoying one of the imho best FPS for all that time, but I didn't know how good it was. The forest stealth mission was really tedious though.

Master

Arbiter
I didn't mean that the darkness itself was removed, just the separation of the torch from the weapons. As for darkness, I think only the ambiance was lightened up somewhat in places.
There is a mod that restores the lamp and other things.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/classic-rbdoom-3-bfg-edition

The worst part of BFG edition was the lack of EAX effects; echoes everywhere, depending on how large the room is.
The mod supposedly restores that too, but it isnt the same somehow.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why mod it? The interface and quicksaving is still worse, and the added campaign is useless. Just play the original. I don't get it.

Master

Arbiter
Well, that mod adds sweet, sweet soft shadows. Maybe there is one for the original too? Idk but i prefer hard shadows anyway. A good mod for original D3 is Absolute HD

https://www.moddb.com/mods/absolutehd

Just turn off all of the gfx "enhancements" like motion blur, ssao and such. But leave color gradient or how its called. Some rock textures also suck but you can delete them.

Nietsche

Novice
Wolfenstein is definitely better. Doom is just a chop in which you just discover the movement system to make the game boring. Wolfenstein is a much better game

Yeah I preferred RtCW but I didn't really think much of it at the time.

Both kind of represented the early stage of the FPS dark age for me

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Both kind of represented the early stage of the FPS dark age for me
I'd say RtCW is from the late stages of the good age whereas Doom 3 is from the time when things really started to turn sour.

RtCW is fine, not really among my favorites but a decent shooter with some very good parts and some not-so-great parts. Doom 3 feels like a "what if Doom was done in 2004?" thought experiment taken too far, not completely awful but not something I've ever had any urge to go back to either. It's not much fun as a shooter, doesn't really work as a horror game and is too limited and linear to be a System Shock.

Data4

Arcane
Doom 3 was simply an IDTech 4 demo, while RTCW was made with a mature IDTech 3 engine. The former was simply "Hey, look what we can do!" with a contrived storyline slapped on to it, while the latter was a decent take on a Wolf3D reimagining.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
RtCW is fine, not really among my favorites but a decent shooter with some very good parts and some not-so-great parts. Doom 3 feels like a "what if Doom was done in 2004?" thought experiment taken too far, not completely awful but not something I've ever had any urge to go back to either. It's not much fun as a shooter, doesn't really work as a horror game and is too limited and linear to be a System Shock.

To be fair Doom 3 wasn't trying to be the game everyone judges it for not being. It was going for a mix of survival horror and FPS, not trying to be Doom 2 with better graphics.

Master

Arbiter
D3 at least looks good to this day. Some of the audio is quite good too.
Funnily i never finished RtCW even though its short, but have finished D3 several times, even though it is kind of a boring slog. Just because of the environment.

schru

Arcane
I think id Tech 3 didn't look very good with realistic visual style until Call of Duty. The weapons in Return to Castle Wolfenstein look and feel rather awkward and ‘boxy’ (save for some later special weapons which did feel interesting). When it comes to early realistic graphics, in a way the games that looked more like all their textures were made up of photos with static but detailed lights and shadows, like the early Rainbow Six games (RtCW has a bit of that too, but it looks bland), looked more interesting.

Ash

Arcane
RTCW: 8/10
Doom3: 7/10

Doom 3 has arguably better combat because RTCW is predominantly hitscan against the same enemy over and over (though it does inject some variety with its different nazi types and Sci-Fi tech base/Crypt levels), and Doom 3 also has better graphics, but otherwise RTCW has it beat. Level design is notably better. Much greater visual variety. Story is way better despite the cheese. Literal cheese...for those that get the reference. Soundtrack (I don't remember a single Doom 3 track aside from the intro/outro). RTCW does take away your weapons as you progress periodically though, which is minor decline.

Doom 3's expansion pack is "better" than the base game, pretty much solely for the new powers and super shotgun. It's shorter than Doom 3 but perhaps slightly more fun.

The console versions of RTCW are worth mentioning as arguably better than the original: there's an extra chapter to the singleplayer which is a fine addition to an otherwise slightly short campaign, a new shotgun (I think in some version or other) when the original had none, and a upgrade rewards system for finding treasures which is massive incline even if simple. Emulation is an option if you want M+K.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The console versions of RTCW are worth mentioning as arguably better than the original: there's an extra chapter to the singleplayer which is a fine addition to an otherwise slightly short campaign, a new shotgun (I think in some version or other) when the original had none, and a upgrade rewards system for finding treasures which is massive incline even if simple. Emulation is an option if you want M+K.

I find it extremely hard to believe those additions would make up for the feel of using KBM to emulate an analog stick system and menus.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I prefer Doom 3 but both are great shooters that everyone who likes the genre should have made at least one complete playthrough. Preferably more.

JDR13

Arcane
I prefer Doom 3 but both are great shooters that everyone who likes the genre should have made at least one complete playthrough. Preferably more.

Eh...I liked Doom 3 quite a bit, but I wouldn't call it a great "shooter". It's more like action-horror in the guise of a shooter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom