Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Interestingly enough, this expansion is a standalone game.
Interesting, just like Old Blood, which was quite long and was originally split in two parts.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bethesda also did that with Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. Both felt like real expansion packs, not bullshit little DLCs. Good stuff to see whether you like the games or not.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It looks good but it needs less linear level design.

That ship has sailed a long time ago. This game's main strength is butt rape difficulty in that Quake arena but with monsters kinda of way (the fact the game doesn't have multiplayer worth shit is pretty absurd given you could easily retrofit every map for death-match). Level design is dead at this point, since Eternal had even less of it than 2016 did.

BTW, i saw two marauders in that trailer. At least they are not backing out of their commitment to make the game as hard as they possibly can.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I'll admit, I got a little nervous playing the 2016 Doom.

It'd be all quiet, and I knew a thousand demons would come screaming out at me if I touched one their big pustule things.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Bethesda also did that with Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. Both felt like real expansion packs, not bullshit little DLCs. Good stuff to see whether you like the games or not.

You can say whatever you want about Bethesda but they at least learned their lesson after Horse Armor. They have always made pretty substantial DLC.

Old Blood was better than the main game imo. Quite cheap too.

JDR13

Arcane

I'm not sure Old Blood really qualifies as DLC though. To me, it was always a full sequel or in this case a prequel. I agree it was better than TNO, or at least from what I can remember.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure Old Blood really qualifies as DLC though. To me, it was always a full sequel or in this case a prequel. I agree it was better than TNO, or at least from what I can remember.

It's a standalone expansion IMO, same with Dishonored: DotO. Roughly comparable to something like Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil back in the day.

OctavianRomulus

Learned

It's going to be the same for this one, they call it a sequel, although I am not sure if the devs are referring to the two episodes combined or just this one. If the two combined are half as long as Eternal I will be satisfied.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/doom-eternal/ancient-gods-dlc-interview

Marty Stratton: Sure. So it’s a sequel to Doom Eternal – it takes place relatively shortly after, and really focuses on expanding the lore. Hugo can talk more about the details of the design of it, but in general we’ve kept the Slayer intact, given him basically everything, maxed him out, as if you finished the campaign with everything maxed out. Runes to mods.

Not sure I like this, finding weapons and upgrades is one of my greatest joys in FPS games.

Hugo Martin: The new locations allow us to do some really interesting things with the level design itself. Obviously the combat is the star of the show, but outside of combat, just solving the puzzle of the levels offers that same engagement.

I guess we'll see. I didn't really get that in the base game and now that you get all the shit from the get go I am not sure what they will fill the levels with. I hope it won't be worthless collectibles.

We’re very proud of the scope of the DLC. Most people would associate DLC with being of smaller scope – it’s kind of like the made for TV version of the movie, and the movie was the main game. For us, this is very much like a two-part film – this is every bit as grand as the main game was.

So at least as long as Old Blood.

It’s important as we want the DLC to reach as many people as possible. In fact, you don’t even need to own Doom Eternal to buy the DLC and play it.

I like this approach.

But that aside, it really is built for that large audience that finished Doom Eternal and is looking for a greater challenge – not new adventures necessarily, but new combat adventures for sure, and new ways to use those skills that they’ve learned.

So basically an old school map pack with higher difficulty.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao fuck the lore, especially considering how much worse the writing was on Eternal compared to Doom 2016, and the latter was already beyond shit to begin with.

Making the game so difficult as to require the player to start fully upgraded right off the bat seems like a bad idea as level progression would be lost, UNLESS they are going to make the game EVEN harder as the expansion moves along, which... would be interesting to be honest i'm still baffled that a modern gayming company has this kind of commitment to difficulty, even if their implementation is annoying.

I also feel this means they'll add even more retarded collectibles and other shit to discover as they'd have to have something for the player to do during down times, and if you are not looking out for weapons then i guess it's going to be dolls and other stupid shit like that.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Lmao fuck the lore, especially considering how much worse the writing was on Eternal compared to Doom 2016, and the latter was already beyond shit to begin with.

Making the game so difficult as to require the player to start fully upgraded right off the bat seems like a bad idea as level progression would be lost, UNLESS they are going to make the game EVEN harder as the expansion moves along, which... would be interesting to be honest i'm still baffled that a modern gayming company has this kind of commitment to difficulty, even if their implementation is annoying.

I also feel this means they'll add even more retarded collectibles and other shit to discover as they'd have to have something for the player to do during down times, and if you are not looking out for weapons then i guess it's going to be dolls and other stupid shit like that.

They did collectibles right in 2016. They gave you weapon points when you picked them so they were useful. I don't think there was a single useless secret in Doom 2016, unlike Eternal. If what I pick doesn't help me survive and make the game more fun then I just don't care about it.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
They did collectibles right in 2016. They gave you weapon points when you picked them so they were useful. I don't think there was a single useless secret in Doom 2016, unlike Eternal.

I agree with your point overall but 2016 also had the useless doll things, iirc.

They were not useless because they gave weapon points.

It looks good but it needs less linear level design.
NuDooms level design won't even hold a candle to a level design of some modern Doom megawads.

True, and it will probably never be. As WAD makers, we can make whatever we want because the audience plays Doom every day but as a developer, you have to make sure that returning Doom fans that have not played a Doom game in years, casual fans, hardcore fans, mappers will have a good time in this game. A returning casual Doom fan played one of my maps and got hopelessly lost whereas none of the Doom community players got lost.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

They did collectibles right in 2016. They gave you weapon points when you picked them so they were useful. I don't think there was a single useless secret in Doom 2016, unlike Eternal. If what I pick doesn't help me survive and make the game more fun then I just don't care about it.

Level design was also slightly more traditional in 2016, at least it felt there was more exploration, and thus a bit longer down times.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
True, and it will probably never be. As WAD makers, we can make whatever we want because the audience plays Doom every day but as a developer, you have to make sure that returning Doom fans that have not played a Doom game in years, casual fans, hardcore fans, mappers will have a good time in this game. A returning casual Doom fan played one of my maps and got hopelessly lost whereas none of the Doom community players got lost.
I've got a bit of geographical cretinism myself, so I get "where the fuck should I go" feeling quite often, but knowing the language of modern widestream releases this problem can be solved with the Big Dumb Arrows.

Not to say that I have no problems playing those elaborated maps even having the problems I mentioned above. A little bit of persistence, mapping and systematic exploration does wonders.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
This is this big innovation?

huh
sH7mrQx.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Their whole marketing vibe is "fuck you pussies, this is DOOM!" People complained about the marauder, so them saying "have two of them you wimps!" is very much in line with their brand.

Ivan

Arcane
i've not played the new nu-doom but that looks fucking slick. reminds me of the "skillful" devil may cry videos, clearly played by someone who knows and loves the game

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Their whole marketing vibe is "fuck you pussies, this is DOOM!" People complained about the marauder, so them saying "have two of them you wimps!" is very much in line with their brand.

And that's pretty much the only thing the game as going for it. If it wasn't for the fuck you difficulty it would be nugaymer garbage.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The retro FPS devs' darling Andrew Hulshult comes in lieu of Mick Gordon. He also did Quake Champions btw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom