Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Ash

Arcane
Skipped near the end, landed in the middle of video bitching about purple goo. Full retard.

Legit retarded. Claims the gameplay is "mentally exhausting" equivalent to doing arithmetic or cramming for an exam. :lol:
I would imagine he's not played many shooters as there are many that are so mind-numbingly basic bland and boring that I would equate them to that, for example Pariah or Unreal 2. Certainly not Eternal.

Purple goo is a simple gameplay modifier and appears, what, three very brief times? Absolutely no harm in it, they should have used it more even, preferably in avoidable hazard pits (don't fall in) as opposed to forced segments. A good compromise would have been allowing jump to counter it, that's often what old games did with swamp levels and the like, but in at least one arena that would defeat the point.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Bulletstorm was only memorable for Duty Calls (and how everything duty calls made fun of ended up in Bulletstorm)

Another one of those games (Like Blood Dragon) that mocks modern design trends yet features them all in full force, which is beyond retarded and insulting to everyone involved. That is the nature of a parody; you mock that thing by featuring it yourself and thus become it, however it is completely different scenario in a 10 hour game. There's no fucking excuse. I never really liked Weird Al for essentially being the shit music he mocked, but he has very limited time to get the point across (5 min video). It's not the same.

Parody music is kinda lame, but parody games parodying shitty gameplay are much lamer. Parodies only work as short skits on the side, otherwise if that is all you produce you become the very thing you mock and that is beyond fucking retarded.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

In the mean time I've also been making some gameplay mods for Doom Eternal. More to come in the future.

Purple goo is a simple gameplay modifier and appears, what, three very brief times? Absolutely no harm in it, they should have used it more even, preferably in avoidable hazard pits (don't fall in) as opposed to forced segments. A good compromise would have been allowing jump to counter it, that's often what old games did with swamp levels and the like, but in at least one arena that would defeat the point.
You already can get out of purple goo at any point using the Meathook. Try this out during the purple goo segments in the ARC Complex.
The only issue is how the game forced you to wade through them in Exultia (unless you did some unintended speedrunner-esque skips) because you didn't have the Meathook at that point in time, so slowly trudging forward was your only option.
It is definitely an overblown complaint given that purple goo sections appear for a grand total of three times in the main campaign, but I guess the Exultia one sticks more because of how long it lasts and how first impressions stick more, what with Exultia being the second level of the game.

HansDampf

Arcane
In the mean time I've also been making some gameplay mods for Doom Eternal. More to come in the future.
Consistent Marauder Faltering
:dealwithit:
you need to deal a minimum of 145 damage with the Super Shotgun for it to enter a falter state, which because of the Marauder's erratic movement tends to be inconsistent to pull off
Can't you just shoot him with the Ballista first to avoid this problem entirely?

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Can't you just shoot him with the Ballista first to avoid this problem entirely?
The Ballista (and the CSG and RL) require you to deal 200 damage instead, which sometimes can feel strangely fucky due to the weird way the Ballista works on a technical standpoint, so I just set that value to 1 as well.

racofer

Thread Incliner
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...a-lot-of-thought-into-adding-a-female-slayer/

Doom Eternal director says he’s put ‘a lot of thought’ into adding a female Slayer

HUGO MARTIN WANTS POTENTIAL NEW PROTAGONIST TO HAVE A NEW FIGHTING STYLE, WEAPONS AND MORE

NEWS
22ND FEB 2021 / 11:02 AM
Posted by
Andy Robinson
female-doom-slayer-320x180.jpg

Doom Eternal’s creative director has said he’s put “a lot of thought” into the possibility of adding a female Slayer to the franchise.

Speaking via an official Twitch stream this month, Id’s Hugo Martin suggested that adding a female protagonist was something that had been actively discussed behind the scenes, but said that he’d like to do it in a way that would impact gameplay, rather than offering an alternative re-skin of the existing Slayer protagonist.

“I’ve thought about it,” he said, when asked about the possibility of a female Slayer. “I think if we did it, I’d want it to be lethal. I think it’s interesting how it would impact the Glory Kills and the weapons that she would have. The fighting style [would] certainly [be] all aggression, absolutely, but a different type of aggression.

“I would really strive to have it impact the gameplay in a way that was meaningful. I’ve definitely put a lot of thought into that, actually!”

He added: “Tonally, when it comes to designing the action, you think about, ‘if The Slayer is a Ferrari, then what would a female Slayer be? What would a Medieval slayer be?’ How would that effect things and what sort of analogies would you draw from that to allow it to influence the experience? It definitely would be cool.”

Crash was featured in Quake 3.
In the Quake series, The Slayer (known simply as ‘Doom’) fights alongside a female marine known as Crash. According to her Quake 3 bio, Crash was originally The Slayer’s military instructor.

Doom’s protagonist has also been known as Doomguy, Doom Marine and Doom Slayer across the series’ various instalments.

Eternal was released for Xbox One, PS4 and PC in March last year. Bethesda claimed Id Software’s shooter doubled the launch revenue of the previous series entry, 2016’s Doom, although it didn’t offer specific figures.

VGC’s Doom Eternal review said “Id delivers another relentlessly entertaining single-player campaign that’s one hell of a stress buster.”

2020 saw the release of Doom Eternal’s first DLC expansion, The Ancient Gods: Part One, which added a new mission and enemies to the game’s campaign.

While Part Two is yet to be officially detailed, earlier this month it was rated by the Australian Classification Board, which suggests that an full unveil might not be far away.

:hmmm:

JDR13

Arcane
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...a-lot-of-thought-into-adding-a-female-slayer/

Doom Eternal director says he’s put ‘a lot of thought’ into adding a female Slayer

HUGO MARTIN WANTS POTENTIAL NEW PROTAGONIST TO HAVE A NEW FIGHTING STYLE, WEAPONS AND MORE

NEWS
22ND FEB 2021 / 11:02 AM
Posted by
Andy Robinson
female-doom-slayer-320x180.jpg

Doom Eternal’s creative director has said he’s put “a lot of thought” into the possibility of adding a female Slayer to the franchise.

Speaking via an official Twitch stream this month, Id’s Hugo Martin suggested that adding a female protagonist was something that had been actively discussed behind the scenes, but said that he’d like to do it in a way that would impact gameplay, rather than offering an alternative re-skin of the existing Slayer protagonist.

“I’ve thought about it,” he said, when asked about the possibility of a female Slayer. “I think if we did it, I’d want it to be lethal. I think it’s interesting how it would impact the Glory Kills and the weapons that she would have. The fighting style [would] certainly [be] all aggression, absolutely, but a different type of aggression.

“I would really strive to have it impact the gameplay in a way that was meaningful. I’ve definitely put a lot of thought into that, actually!”

He added: “Tonally, when it comes to designing the action, you think about, ‘if The Slayer is a Ferrari, then what would a female Slayer be? What would a Medieval slayer be?’ How would that effect things and what sort of analogies would you draw from that to allow it to influence the experience? It definitely would be cool.”

Crash was featured in Quake 3.
In the Quake series, The Slayer (known simply as ‘Doom’) fights alongside a female marine known as Crash. According to her Quake 3 bio, Crash was originally The Slayer’s military instructor.

Doom’s protagonist has also been known as Doomguy, Doom Marine and Doom Slayer across the series’ various instalments.

Eternal was released for Xbox One, PS4 and PC in March last year. Bethesda claimed Id Software’s shooter doubled the launch revenue of the previous series entry, 2016’s Doom, although it didn’t offer specific figures.

VGC’s Doom Eternal review said “Id delivers another relentlessly entertaining single-player campaign that’s one hell of a stress buster.”

2020 saw the release of Doom Eternal’s first DLC expansion, The Ancient Gods: Part One, which added a new mission and enemies to the game’s campaign.

While Part Two is yet to be officially detailed, earlier this month it was rated by the Australian Classification Board, which suggests that an full unveil might not be far away.

:what:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why does it need a gameplay justification? Just add a femslayer model and have some woman grunt a bit for the sound effects and you're done - basically what id did for female players in Quake 2 and Quake 3.

I've only played the 2016 game since i'm waiting for a potential GOG release but everything i read about the newer game(s) give me the impression that they're overthinking things a bit too much.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I want a faster chainsaw animation.

Why does it need a gameplay justification? Just add a femslayer model and have some woman grunt a bit for the sound effects and you're done - basically what id did for female players in Quake 2 and Quake 3.
Im only ok with this if they're sexy grunts

KVVRR

Learned

I've only played the 2016 game since i'm waiting for a potential GOG release but everything i read about the newer game(s) give me the impression that they're overthinking things a bit too much.
It doesn't need one but it wouldn't hurt for it to be there. Think of the already existing animations for the glory kills, could you just slap a female model and call it a day? Sure, that'd work. But creating new ones based on a slender (and probably quicker) character would be creative.
If Doomguy chops and rips an imp in half, the new female character would cut it up (eyes, neck, tendons, etc) then kick it away. It would be brutal, in a different way. They already seemed to run into somewhat of an issue with this for Eternal which is why I'm assuming they gave the slayer the arm sword, so the glory kills wouldn't rely so much on punching and kicking.
I'm guessing Hugo wants this, but done with her kit too. I don't mind new ways to play the game as long as they're fun tbh, and if they do Crash, it'd be in a new dlc.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, sure you'd need new animations that should be obvious. But the end result would be the same so these aren't really gameplay differences and i do not think Hugo Martin's comments were really only about having to do new animations.

KVVRR

Learned
That's what I meant by "but done with her kit too", something something a quicker but not as powerful way to kill demons maybe? Runs faster but has less hp? More focus on hitting weakspots?
Honestly I wouldn't know. I doubt this is anything more than a thought he had, "wouldn't it be cool if..."

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
That's what I meant by "but done with her kit too", something something a quicker but not as powerful way to kill demons maybe? Runs faster but has less hp? More focus on hitting weakspots?
Honestly I wouldn't know. I doubt this is anything more than a thought he had, "wouldn't it be cool if..."
Men are faster, so if anything, her animations would be slower...

KVVRR

Learned
Sure but this isn't about realism, it's about what would make for a fun, unique kit. DEX v STR and all that.

Caim

Arcane
The Coom Slayer has more glory kills where she crushes skulls and snap spines with her powerful thighs. Also more foot-related kills. Maybe go all-out and give her retractable energy blades on her leg armor to kick demons in half.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom