Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOSBox Staging — a modern continuation of DOSBox

Naraya

Arcane
I've created a small (less than 100KB) and simple GUI application for Windows to facilitate launching games via DOSBox, for those of us who don't need all the features of Launchbox, Retroarch or Playnite and just want to quickly start a game.

You can check it out here: https://github.com/mikefirefly/DBML

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DOSBox Staging v0.80.0 has been released just a few minutes ago! It's fresh from the oven!

https://dosbox-staging.github.io/v0-80-0/

Summary of major new features:
ReelMagic DOS games are now playable thanks to the efforts of Jon Dennis, Chris Guthrie, and Joseph Whittaker, with testing and feedback from Vogons users Uka, DonutKing, and Vetz. Mouse emulation has been improved and now supports up to seven independent mice, enabling split-screen play in games like The Settlers and The Settlers II. More settings, including video, audio, and MIXER effects, can now be changed on the fly. A new --working-dir command line flag allows DOSBox Staging to launch from a specific working directory. Repo packagers should note that SDL2-image is now a dependency.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The v0.80.1 maintenance release is out that fixes minor issues with the mouse defaults, modem and Ethernet connection handling, and Meson dependencies on Linux.

High DPI support is also now confirmed to be working correctly on both macOS and Windows (on Linux... maybe, but it's always a gamble; there's so many desktop setup variations out there).

Glop_dweller

Prophet
You can always just upgrade to Win10...
Why would anyone do that to themselves? That's like seeking out a disease.

That's a deal killer. :(

Is there —really— a legitimate [a necessary] reason to require (...to rely upon components of) Windows 10?
Is it really worth it (presumably) just to use some snippet of Win10 library code? Or is there more to it?

*Serious question; it's not intended as a snide comment. I've a genuine interest... I mean even Unity3D and Unreal 4 don't require Windows 10.

Years ago they promotionally released Farcry for free—and they laughably did so with an installer that had steeper OS requirements than the game.
There is no way that the game needed the newer OS, and it meant that one could not install the game on the OS it was designed for.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The PhilsComputerLabs guy started doing a series on DOSBox Staging. It's very informative, highly recommended to watch for all DOS gaming enthusiasts.

It's great to see he went through the same "shader journey" as myself and many others, I assume (from "100% sharp pixels or GTFO" to "I can't play any old game without proper period-authentic CRT shaders anymore").

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why would anyone do that to themselves? That's like seeking out a disease.

That's a deal killer. :(

Is there —really— a legitimate [a necessary] reason to require (...to rely upon components of) Windows 10?
Is it really worth it (presumably) just to use some snippet of Win10 library code? Or is there more to it?

*Serious question; it's not intended as a snide comment. I've a genuine interest... I mean even Unity3D and Unreal 4 don't require Windows 10.
Okay, I'm giving you a serious answer then:

Most of us devs who use Windows are on Windows 10, including me (Win10 and latest macOS here), so we are testing on Win 10 only when it comes to the Windows side of things. But I was wrong about compatibility with earlier Windows versions before, and it seems it's actually running OK on Win7 too, and some earlier versions even on Vista, as reported by someone from the community. We have updated the requirements on our downloads page accordingly, and I'll make edits to the original post.

Note that Staging also runs on Linux and macOS; you have a lot of "freedom" as a Linux user in choosing your Linux distro if that's what you're after.

This is a forward-looking project with the aim of preserving the "DOS experience" for future generations. That means the ability to run on modern OSes; support for legacy OSes is out of scope. Also note none of us is paid to do this, we work on DOSBox Staging in our free time. Naturally, our time and energy is finite, and we want to concentrate our efforts where it matters most, which is being able to run DOSBox Staging on the most commonly used operating systems of the day.

On the technical side of things, no software project exists in isolation, we're using a lot of libraries just like everybody else (SDL2, libmt32, libfluidsynth, speex, glib, iir, ogg, opus, zlib, zmbv, and many others). These form a dependency chain, and most of the time if a *single* dependency drops support for legacy OS version X, we are forced with the following choice: do we also drop support for OS version X, or take the burden of maintaining that dependency ourselves so it still works on legacy OS versions, taking time aways from our main focus, which is DOSBox development? Clearly, taking on this extra burden is not feasible with a small team of volunteers like ours.

Also, if 90% of the world is on Windows 10 (according to the Steam user stats, actually a lot more, nearing 100%), do we want to double our efforts just to support a less than 10% of our users? We simply don't have the resources and need to prioritise, which means narrowing down the project's scope to the most common OSes. There's nothing ideological or philosophical about it, it's just the everyday reality of the situation that basically decides it for us.

But the DOSBox core code per se doesn't require any particular OS, it can be compiled on pretty much anything, even on non-Intel architectures (naturally, as we're running fine on ARM), or big-endian Motorola PPC processors. The problem is the library dependencies, which are an important part of the whole package, of course.

Specifically, I think libfluidsynth has a dependency on glib, which has recently dropped Win7 support, but the exact details are a bit unclear to me as I haven't worked in that particular area. However, users have reported our latest version still works on Win7, so that's good and settles the issue (I *think* they technically only dropped Vista support but we may have misunderstood, but don't quote me on that...)

Personally, I have no problems with Win10, and I actually vastly prefer it over earlier versions because of the WSL Linux emulation layer. Now I can run all my Linux tools in Windows natively, without the need for a virtual machine -- big improvement in my day-to-day life. It's a polished OS that works really well for my needs, be it gaming, coding, audio work, etc.

Unity3D, Unreal 4 -- having never used them, I don't know what kind of dependencies they have. Also, please don't compare those projects with hundreds of people on the payroll to us. Surely we could achieve similar goals (e.g., Windows 7 support for the indefinite future, no matter what) if we had a dedicated team for that specific purpose, working on it full-time.

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
@Rincewind

DBX_STAGING_404.jpg

*Both the installer and the portable version links are 404.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I did and it works. I tested Dune II and Blood & Magic. Blood & Magic crashed—but that's to be expected; it's buggy on any version of Dosbox.
I really like the built-in 'Open With Dosbox' auto mounting behavior. :cool:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I did and it works. I tested Dune II and Blood & Magic. Blood & Magic crashed—but that's to be expected; it's buggy on any version of Dosbox.
I really like the built-in 'Open With Dosbox' auto mounting behavior. :cool:
Nice one, we like happy customers :cool:

Make sure to check out the "Release notes" on the downloads page for an overview of the many enhancements we've added. Until the proper user manual is ready (it's in the works), that's the best source of info currently. Only the major versions (ending with `.0`) are worth reading; the minor versions are mostly just bugfix releases.

Rincewind, what is best DosBox fork for 3dfx Windows gaming? For Dos, Dosbox-X is by far the best (It can even handle 3dfx-patched Blood which is a total bitch to run) but in Win98, OS doesn't detect Voodoo despite drivers are all legit. I've seen on youtube a few Win/Glide games on DosBox-X but they are glitchy as hell.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Rincewind, what is best DosBox fork for 3dfx Windows gaming? For Dos, Dosbox-X is by far the best (It can even handle 3dfx-patched Blood which is a total bitch to run) but in Win98, OS doesn't detect Voodoo despite drivers are all legit. I've seen on youtube a few Win/Glide games on DosBox-X but they are glitchy as hell.
I'd say it's still PCem. When I last compared PCem to 86box, PCem was about 30% faster, which is important as you need all the performance you can get.

Naraya

Arcane
Every time I decide to try and setup a "real" frontend for DOSBox like Retroarch, I end up realising that simplicity is the key and I don't need anything more than DOSBox Staging. :salute:

By the way Rincewind, is there a config switch to never show the "DOSBox Status Window"? I've tried different startup_verbosity values but to no avail.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
does it have save states though
:popamole:
It would be a monumental task to implement, and I don't even think it's possible to do it 100% properly (definitely not when MIDI modules external to DOSBox are involved, but that's admittedly an edge case). Just get better :P

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is there a GUI/frontend for this? I've been using Dosbox-X and it's alright, but I really miss the simple GUI from Daum.
You can use DBGL if you need a front-end, otherwise OSD functionality is in the works. I'm the main dev of that one, and I'm busy with work, so if you send $100k my way that would expedite the process +M

Yeah... otherwise I'll just do it in my free time. It will come.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And the hard cold truth: Win 10 is king, Win 7 + 8 *combined* is a tiny blip at the tail end.

6EPLp7X.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom