Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE - Released... but nobody cares

Karellen

Arcane
I dunno. If anything, making fun of the silly, illogical, and convoluted story lines common to jrpgs is more likely to make me think well of them.

FFTactics has a pretty good story though, especially the first chapter. Anyway, it would be funnier if they weren't just going "wait when is this and who are these guy I have no idea, lol!"

Avellone Arcanum playthrough?:troll:

Mixture of amusement, pity and shame on their behalf? Yeah, it's kind of like that. Also, wow, they got completely steamrolled at Dorter. It's almost quality entertainment!

They do also talk a lot about this game they want to make. It's still just random brain-storming about high-level stuff, though.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
FFS, the guy is upholding XCOM as his greatest inspiration and cound't even recall if it has stats or not!

Also, "streamlining as much as possible is smart". Fuck this losers.

DeepOcean

Arcane
"streamlining as much as possible is smart".

FeelTheRads

Arcane
FFS, the guy is upholding XCOM as his greatest inspiration and cound't even recall if it has stats or not!

Also, "streamlining as much as possible is smart". Fuck this losers.

:lol: :lol:

God, I'm so happy I missed the Borked Age Kickstarter, I would have probably been stupid enough to pledge for it.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
:lol: :lol:

God, I'm so happy I missed the Borked Age Kickstarter, I would have probably been stupid enough to pledge for it.

The teams for the two games are completely separate, and the genres are completely different, so I don't really see how this makes you draw conclusions about the DFA project.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, for the DFA project I've seen that they asked 400k to make a Flash game, they got 3 million, they're running out of money and they're still making a Flash game.

And different teams, but same company.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, for the DFA project I've seen that they asked 400k to make a Flash game, they got 3 million and they're still making a Flash game.
Uh... not really sure how to respond to this other than "no they aren't". Nothing about it resembles any flash game I've ever seen. It looks like a standard Lucasarts-esque adventure game from what has been released. Certainly there's legitimate complaints to be made -- hit-or-miss art style, stupid title, mismanaged production, etc. But I can't see any way in which it resembles a flash game.
And different teams, but same company.

You do understand that a company is made up of individuals, not some giant monolithic mass of like-minded drones, right? (well, unless we're talking about EA).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You're taking it too seriously.

Still, I don't like what they do with Broken Age and I don't see how it looks like a Lucas Arts game and not a hipster faggoty artsy wannabe game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Their pitch amounts to 'Hey, we're Derplefine!' And at the risk of sending J_C into a rage, yes, I think they need to die a slow death. Cut half or more of the staff, focus on making better games not just current-gen fluff.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hyperbole in one direction doesn't balance out hyperbole in another direction, it just makes both parties look stupid.

The pitch is a tactical rpg, with a lineage/genetics component. Extremely vague? Yes. It is not just "gib emone bcus dlbfine" though.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Double Fine Adventure was worth backing just for the documentary. Massive Chalice I just don't know.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Their pitch amounts to 'Hey, we're Derplefine!' And at the risk of sending J_C into a rage, yes, I think they need to die a slow death. Cut half or more of the staff, focus on making better games not just current-gen fluff.
Do you have a personal vendetta against me or something?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Do you have a personal vendetta against me or something?

Maybe I should -- would it prompt another drama laden 'I'm leaving, this time 4 cereals' thread?

The pitch is a tactical rpg, with a lineage/genetics component. Extremely vague? Yes. It is not just "gib emone bcus dlbfine" though.

Anyone and their mother could make a pitch saying 'yeah I'm making Game X of Y genre.' The only substance they have to it is their 'good' name/reputation. So, yes, it is basically: 'give us money because we're Double Fine.'

DeepOcean

Arcane
J_C and Metro after multiple threads of nagging, passive aggressiveness and declarations of love, should stop their unresolved faggotry and accept their inclusive and sensible sides for once.:lol:

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Double Fine Adventure was worth backing just for the documentary. Massive Chalice I just don't know.

This, and about 70% of other DFA backers that don't really care about the "old-school adventure game" or Ron Gilbert promises of the campaign are the main reason Broken Age / Double Fine continue to get praised for this crap. There is zero motivation for them to move in the right direction.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
This, and about 70% of other DFA backers that don't really care about the "old-school adventure game"

Sadly, this is probably true. You can see a similar thing with Wasteland 2 or PE or Torment... a lot of people donate and expect an AAA game with the name of a classic game. "We" are far less than what a Kickstarter would suggest.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Indeed, who needs games when you can watch documentaries of games?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Indeed, who needs games when you can watch documentaries of games?
I am pretty sure that a documentary detailing the creation process of DA2 would be well worth the actual game's release retail price.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom