Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE - Released... but nobody cares

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's X-COM not XCOM. Go fuck yourself Schafer.

So I was right after all. I DEMAND an apology J_C
For what? They wrote X-Com in their kickstarter page. You said they wrote XCom. I was right.

But they meant that shitty dumbed down consolised piece of popamole trash.
Oh. Well I still don't apologise to you. Apology is the sign of weekness. :rpgcodex:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Thanks for ignoring me motherfuckers.:rpgcodex:
I decided on my own, the shit list it is.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I thought it was retorical. :P
:hmmm:
I am growing soft then, done by the way:
Added this to the Lulz&Boycott section.
Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE Tactical fantasy game by Brad Muir, features a generational Epic Timeline with heroes aging.After squandering millions they come up with an half assed concept led by a nobody more concerned about his hetero privilege than to make al game.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/kickstarter-watch.70894/page-96#post-2699281

Diablo169

Arcane
Are they really going to use this money to make the game, or is it a cash grab to get some more money for Broken Age? hmm

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Apology is the sign of weekness. :rpgcodex:
o_O
Oh my God, a typo. Never seen one before, have you?

Anyway, new update is up again. I'll post it, just to annoy Metro:
Hey MASSIVE CHALICE Fans!
Our pledge total keeps going up and we’re so thankful for your support!
Design Chat

We’ve got a special treat for you today: a lengthy video from 2 Player Productions documenting an early design conversation between Brad and MASSIVE CHALICE designer John Swisshelm. As you’ll see in the video, we’re pretty early on in the development of MASSIVE CHALICE—still in pre-production to be exact! This is a really exciting time for the project, as it’s all about defining what the game is and what features we’re going to strive to include.
We’re generating new ideas at a ridiculous pace, and now that we’re actively talking with the community about the game we’re getting even more awesome ideas. The great part about involving you guys at this early stage is that it’s much more likely for your voice to be heard. We’re putting all of the backers’ ideas together with ours into a big melting pot. In some cases, your ideas are even better than ours! This is a great time to chime in with your feedback on MASSIVE CHALICE. What’s the coolest game feature you can think of that’s inspired by the Epic Timeline? We want to know! :D!
As we approach the start of production in the coming months we’ll be whittling this list down into something that fits within the scope of our budget. The more money we raise, the more resources we can use for developing these great ideas. So please continue to help spread the word and help us make MASSIVE CHALICE the amazing game we all want it to be! And now, I present you with some of our current thoughts on the design!

Chat Topics
01:00 Emergent narrative through gameplay
02:30 Inevitability of character death
04:00 Bloodline Relics
07:00 Psychological effects of battle
08:40 Managing permadeath
11:20 Houses/keeps and children
15:00 Equality of sexes, surnames
20:00 Skills and class systems
25:00 Bringing the kingdom together
27:30 New game variation/ replayability
30:00 Community suggestions/ unit support relationships
34:30 Researching technology
36:00 Benefits of open development
39:00 Player shaped experience/ random events
42:20 Play length
44:30 Demonic corruption/ perks and quirks
52:40 Gaming influences
Total runtime - 55:49
Audio Stream
If you don’t have time to watch the chat then how about just listening to it?! We’ve also provided an mp3 version so you can listen on the go! You can grab that here!
Twitch XCOM: EU Stream

We had a blast answering MASSIVE CHALICE questions and interacting with the community during our XCOM: Enemy Unknown playthrough on Twitch.tv yesterday! If you missed the event or just need more Brad in your life, you can still watch the playthrough here.
E3 is right around the corner and we’ve got more updates coming your way! Thank you so much for your continued support—be sure to join the conversation over at the MASSIVE CHALICE forums here!
Sincerely,
Brad and the MASSIVE CHALICE team :D

Well they have a one hour video talking about ideas, design and stuff. So I might consider this a little improvement.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This video taught me that not only they don't have experience nor any pre-production on their ideia, but also not even they have knowledge of the genre or the current state-of-the-art... guy LOVES tactical games and only played FFT and Disgaea... right.

Guy probably didn't even notice that using the cover-based new XCOM as "inspiration" doesn't make sense in a fantasy game, where melee atacks play a vital role...

LeJosh

Savant
Crossbowmen vs Archers... FIGHT.

Edit - Honestly, nothing is inspiring me with confidence. A company known for platformers and "lite" adventures attempting a Strat-RPG with reactivity?

Alex

Arcane
This actually has less to do with this whole discussion than it might look like, but I couldn't resist posting this image from the new Traveller book (my copy arrived this monday).

Karellen

Arcane
Guy probably didn't even notice that using the cover-based new XCOM as "inspiration" doesn't make sense in a fantasy game, where melee atacks play a vital role...
When they're talking about X-COM as an influence, isn't it about how the high-level strategy and management elements, though? I don't think they even talk about what the actual battle mechanics are like. I guess it's turn based? It seems to me like the game is mainly going to be about the high level stuff, particularily since it's supposed to be played in Ironman mode, while the actual combat is just where you feel the consequences of the strategic decision-making. In that case the game as a whole could be OK even if the combat is mediocre.

Having watched the video, I don't know if they have any idea of how to actually do any of this stuff they're talking about, but at least they're being a lot more open and clear about the game they want to make than most Kickstarters.

They should add Yasumi Matsuno as stretch goal.:desu:

dehimos

Augur
It's X-COM not XCOM. Go fuck yourself Schafer.

So I was right after all. I DEMAND an apology J_C
For what? They wrote X-Com in their kickstarter page. You said they wrote XCom. I was right.

But they meant that shitty dumbed down consolised piece of popamole trash.

The difference is the "-":

X-COM: UFO Defense
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

If they write "XCOM", they are casual.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

I don't know that anyone is really mad at DF for starting another Kickstarter, in this thread or elsewhere. Well, I'm sure there's some people, as there always are, but not a very vocal group.

The issue I think is more with the somewhat lackluster quality of the campaign as compared to other recent 'big time' ones. I am probably more of a fan of DF than most people here, but they're no more infallible than any other company. But hey, if JS said it, it's gotta be gospel truth, right?

Karellen

Arcane
Live report from the Final Fantasy Tactics stream: they're embarassingly bad at playing FFTactics, they spend a lot of time making obnoxious jokes about fantasy names, they sound a lot like ADHD kids on a sugar high, they are hilariously ignorant about the narrative of the game, and actually think that FFTactics has a confusing story that's too hard to follow because it has flashbacks.

Not backing. :decline:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I dunno. If anything, making fun of the silly, illogical, and convoluted story lines common to jrpgs is more likely to make me think well of them.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Live report from the Final Fantasy Tactics stream: they're embarassingly bad at playing FFTactics, they spend a lot of time making obnoxious jokes about fantasy names, they sound a lot like ADHD kids on a sugar high, they are hilariously ignorant about the narrative of the game, and actually think that FFTactics has a confusing story that's too hard to follow because it has flashbacks.

Not backing. :decline:
Avellone Arcanum playthrough?:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom