Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dragon Age 2 103 Min. Cutscene Endurance Test

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Raghar said:
Xenosaga has 8 hours of cutscenes.

Yep, AND it is a FAR better RPG than Dragon Age 2.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The worst cutscenes are the ones where you start a kick or a stab and then it cuts to your character doing an EPIC KICK OF STABBINGNESS IN SLOW MOTION with BULLET TIME.

A helpful reminder of the fact that

a) you just stepped on a pre-placed trigger

b) your control over your character has been an illusion and they're no longer going through the trouble of trying to hide it

Rogue

Educated
Whatever, who wants to play interactive Z-grade movies anyway? Boring as fuck.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Playing the Dark Mod.

Saw exactly one cutscene (20 seconds) on one of the early missions.

Suck my interactive cock Thi4f, Biowhore and Desu Ex 3.

bgillisp

Scholar
Raghar said:
You bastard. I thought It would have 103 minutes long sequence preferably as intro. Now you are saying all custcenes would have only 103 minutes.

Xenosaga has 8 hours of cutscenes.

Maybe that is why Xenosaga took me almost 3 years to beat. Every time I was getting ready to play it the many many cut scenes bored me to tears!

DriacKin

Arbiter
I find it amusing that the people here complaining about DA being 'too story heavy and cinematic' are the same ones who consider stuff like 'PS:T' to be a masterpiece.

racofer

Thread Incliner
DriacKin said:
I find it amusing that the people here complaining about DA being 'too story heavy and cinematic' are the same ones who consider stuff like 'PS:T' to be a masterpiece.

Indeed. They could argue about a dozen things that made DA a bad game, but not that it's too focused on story instead of these mysterious RPG elements nobody ever bothers to standardize.

I'm pretty sure they would still worship PS:T 2 if it looked like this as long as Obshitian made it.

3bepg.jpg

Drakron

Arcane
Raghar said:
Volourn said:
No. Fuck no. Hella no.
How do you know it? Have you played Xenosaga?

I played Xenosga II and at one point I did thought "let me play the game already".

No other game did that, even Metal Gear Solid. (granted I never played the last).

Cutscenes are fine as long they are relevant and not go for so longer the player starts to ask to himself when he is allowed to play the game, even Square is smart enough to break cutscenes with giving back the player control of the character.

racofer said:
DriacKin said:

Indeed. They could argue about a dozen things that made DA a bad game, but not that it's too focused on story instead of these mysterious RPG elements nobody ever bothers to standardize.

The thing disturbing about it is that there are people out there - whether fans or devs - who are somehow proud of the number like it is some kind of achievement for the game. That is nonsense

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
And at least the dialogues in PST were interactive. The cut-scenes aren't and the sprinkling of few paragon/renegade QTEs in them doesn't change that fact.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Volourn said:
Not even 2 hours for a game that will likely be 40+ hours is peanuts. Wut's the cryin' aboot, again?

The crying's about that this shit is banal and mediocre just like your taste and you should be shining my shoes instead of having the priviledge of expressing yourself with men, because you are not a man, you are some kind of animal

:rage:
:thumbsup:

Drakron

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
And at least the dialogues in PST were interactive.

They are classic dialog trees, saying they are "interactive" is like saying water is wet.

The cut-scenes aren't and the sprinkling of few paragon/renegade QTEs in them doesn't change that fact.

Interrupts most of the time were during DIALOG, usually dialog ended when the interrupt was shown, even if you taken it or not but at least in Shadow Broker IF you did not take then the result would be ending the conversation, picking then ALLOWED keep the conversation keep going.

And yes, ME2 dialog was more interactive since PST is simply spewing text at you and then you pick a reply, ME2 interrupts do exactly ... interrupt the dialog when applied (or not).

I wish people here stop trying to be such hardlines because they are just as much as fucktards as the people they look down upon, ME2 did some things well and interrupts were one of them.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
DriacKin said:

Thats because PST isnt to story heavy and cinematic.

not compared to its gameplay...it was just right(sure combat might be an arse but still they tried)....AND NOT COMPARED TO THE SHITS THAT IS DA AND ME TODAY!

Angthoron

Arcane
racofer said:
DriacKin said:

It's focused on a god-awful story that could've made better by a simple character reversal. Oh, and better writing. The story is too loose and the events are too unconnected to each others for a game that has a scope of "Hey, save the kingdom". This sort of prancing around works in M&M games because the story is very barely there, and it works in PST and BG because it's a bit of a self-exploration sort of a thing, but in a story with a stress on story that stresses urgency and war both civil and regular, the shit sure isn't focused enough.

Focus on the story? Fine, do it, I like me a good story. But if you do, fucking do it well.

Oh, and for a game that has a target audience of 18+, it sure has an 11-year-old's imagination.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Rogue said:

'Dexers will play it. And they will love it. It's gonna be the best RPG since New Vegas :M

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Darth Roxor said:
Rogue said:

'Dexers will play it. And they will love it. It's gonna be the best RPG since New Vegas :M

Don't be fatuous Darth. DA2 will be mediocre only loved by Volly and pretended to be liked by trolly Racofer, while to paraphrase Angry Joe: New Vegas Kicks Ass!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Just like DA1 was predicted to be mediocre and loved only by Volly, eh :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom