Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial Dragon Age 2 is Declining RPGs

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Jason, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    This is inane. You don't have to take such a vulgar moralising stance to figure out Bioware's decision-making pattern. Of course, a lot of their strategy revolves around limiting their ambitions in terms of overall design - which has made them successful and mediocre (I'm not saying these are synonyms, mind you). If anything, they are making the games they want to make, with a "realistic" out-look on the business. They are fat, lazy, untalented, but will capitalize on all their ressources to reach the stars while molding entire generations of new youth as to what the standards of rpgs (guided by their successful and mediocre ideals) are supposed to be. And that's admirable, right? Yes it is. You are fighting a lost battle. So fuck you!

^ Top  
  2. Ruprekt Scholar

Ruprekt
    KoTOR is not a complex or challenging RPG. But it is still an RPG: a CRPG implementation of D20 StarWars.

And it would be better if companies like EA would try being "realistic" for a change. Focus on 1) the bottom line 2) quality.
    The problem is that they don't. That's why being bought by an EA is the kiss of death. A successful company becomes a 'revenue stream' that can be diverted to some derping exec hoping to ride the next 'big idea' to glory or to the next aquisition.

^ Top  
  3. Kaanyrvhok Arbiter

Kaanyrvhok
    They lost me right here. DA:O was as big a step backwards as anything to come around.

If you have to drive your story with 300 unnecessary filler fights then its disengaging. The roleplaying system sucked too. Tell me why a 1st level fighter isnt strong enough to wear armor.

^ Top  
  4. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    He needs to engage into a romance as to get buffed and be able to wear armor.

You don't start with a romance on level one.

^ Top  
  5. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Well, I did, but it wouldn't have the same effect. Bio hadn't gone full retard with dwarves, more like 3/4 retard.
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  6. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    well bro as konjad might say 3/4 retard is 3/4 more retard where dwarves are usually concerned

^ Top  
  7. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    True. Well, dwarves hadn't been na'vified and lolified only because they aren't starring in DA2 main game feature (not that it makes the game any better).

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. Multiple Sarcasm Arcane

Multiple Sarcasm
    Goddamn, do Bio's look like flaming homosexuals. :lol:
    Not that a 1000 and 1 useless belts make for a character to be taken seriously (or am I not expecting TW2 to contribute to decline in its own ways), either, but still, I can understand what makes Bio's games so successful.

^ Top  
  9. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    Brand Name?
    Since BioWare right now is pretty much "brand name",just like Square Enix.

^ Top  
  10. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    ^ Top  
  11. Multiple Sarcasm Arcane

Multiple Sarcasm
    Since we're seriously serious about it, "Brand Name" doesn't really mean anything unless one likes its products, to begin with. If you hated one or two and expect the rest to be the same, you wouldn't be buying any more of that brand, right?... Right?... Guys?...

Doesn't ring any bells. But I'm somewhat out of touch with general gaming, these days, so I'll assume they're widely-known for some thing or another.

^ Top  
  12. turul Scholar

turul
    http://www.hookedgamers.com/editorials/ ... rpg-3.html

:incline:
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  13. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    im going to install exile 3 AGAIN!!

^ Top  
  14. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
  15. Cynic Arcane

Cynic
    ^ Top  
  16. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    ^ Top  
  17. YourDaddy Educated

YourDaddy
    You don't? It has already received at least one "RPG OF TEH DECADE" title from a major gaming magazine, you know.

^ Top  
  18. Commissar Draco Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    ^ Top  
  19. FatCat Educated

FatCat
    Iorweth a bad-ass Scoia'tael commando driven by hate towards humankind.

VS

Random faggot elf of dragon age

^ Top  
  20. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    ^ Top  
  21. meanwhileInPoland Arcane

meanwhileInPoland
    and the point is?

i a m also lost with the dwarves... generic bad-ass dwarf with axe and iroquis... oh no we havent met like thousands of them in crpgs :salute: the second one is shaved, uses crossbow and is more a cunning rogue than a dumbass warrior... definetly homo :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  22. Dantus12 Educated

Dantus12
    They managed to completely ruin Zevran , this is Zevran from DAO
    He looked decent in DAO.
    DAO
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... Better.png

The same thing happened to Merill:
    in DAO
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... sh_elf.jpg

In DA2
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... leaned.png

Also the dwarf from the pic is not a generic dwarf it's Zoltan Chivay :love:

The Witcher characters look simply amazingly detailed.
    The other dwarfs look great too, one of them was arm wrestling Geralt and after losing He says:

Show Spoiler
    I believe I'd split a rock with my dick sooner than beat you in an arm wrestle."

I had a rather immature laugh from the comment, looks like voice acting is getting much more attention than in the first game, and it works.

Here is Dandelion:
    http://vnmedia.ign.com/screenshots/witcher/94246064.jpg

Reducing the poly count saves work hours, they look like mouses now in DA2.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.